• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#441 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Oh i see.

my laser eye surgery was just a surface burn.

They said take 2 weeks off.

lasted 2 days.

4 years later still going strong.

Yeah, what Amph said about yoga^ strength not so much, but flexibility deffo.

And hot room yoga (especially if you're over say 25) is a time-saver
meh. Link was dead :(

#442 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

I had my Lasik done 6 years ago and going strong. Took 2-3 days to heal, was super careful my first month..cause it was my eyes! a lil paranoid.

I will say I have some issues getting used to the dark to light to dark situation's. Those come up often. Honestly, its extremely rare for it to bug me, just something I have noticed...

I loveeee Hot yoga. I have strength gains mainly in my core and my core is redic. I would say between squat/deads and a everyday bikram routine it's legit for sure. Bikram made me an amazing hiker..I can't describe it exactly, but the payout was there for me. My hiking ability is really off the charts. If I can stop getting so many blisters on my feet! I will do <part> of the PCT..or Sierra...and soon

Cause..Yoga will change your freaking life. Do one and find one that works for you.. It's part of my routine how lifting/running are.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 06 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#443 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:37 AM

Been doing shitty on my running routine. Im gonna confess anytime I start eating crappy.

I always always drop running. So so freaking annoying. So going to do a 90 day of pain routine..no soda, no pizza, no sex and impure thoughts until I get my shit together.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 08 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#444 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

No impure thoughts? But what about your dreams of a marxist utopia? Will you be able to abandon them too?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#445 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 07 November 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

Been doing shitting on my running routine.

Thats because running fucking sucks.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#446 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:31 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 November 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

No impure thoughts? But what about your dreams of a marxist utopia? Will you be able to abandon them too?

ROFL!!!

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 08 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

#447 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Out at the back up gym, messed around with the sled.

Got up to a 202 (445 lbs)kg sled push -10 metres, turn and back.

the sled itself is 32 kg, in case anyone's wondering why the 202....

#448 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

Coming in with some figures yo.

Squat: 180kg
Deadlift: 180kg (standard bar) 200kg (trap bar)
Bench: 90kg
OHP: 60kg
Leg press: 540kg

So I'm looking for ways to up my upper body lifts as they've stalled. Any pointers at all? I can do chin ups provided they're from standing (not a hang... I weigh something between 95 and 100kg) and I can't manage wide grip pull ups for the life of me.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#449 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

three days a week, full body training is the best way to increase strenght imo.
If you want to increase your pullup strenght, do them three times a week in your workouts, five sets until failure. you should notice increases quite soon. I weight 15.5 stone and struggled with pull ups too. but using this method i went from failing at four straight-arm hanging pull ups to being able to manage three sets of ten within ten weeks. just try to squeeze one more rep out each week. hitting the muscles three times a week causes a staircase effect and forces your muscles to GROW, making you stronger.
Get to the chopper!

#450 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

If you're in a gym with the right equipment, do wide grip pull-ups with assistance. Eventually, you won't need the boost.

If not, do pull-ups facing forwards, but close grip and then over the weeks, spread them out further and further.

Try for the hanging pull-ups though.

As for figuring out why you're stalling, you've got a weak point somewhere and you've gotta find that, train it up and then see your plateaued numbers start inching upwards. That's where trainers/people who really know weightlifting come in (and where I step out).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#451 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

In terms of pullups, we don't have an assisted station - we've got lat pulldowns (I go up to 80kg on them) but as I weigh 20kg more than they can equip...

I get the feeling that it's my press that is gimped as it's the eccentric phase of bench and OHP that stalls at my maxes. My squats and deads have increased over this last year, as has my leg press.

#452 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:57 PM

My cut is progressing nicely, down to 84 kg now and have hit a couple bench pb's in last few weeks.

squat is maintaining nicely, probably as i'm doing back squat 2* a week and front squat 2* a week.

Maark, your squat:deadlift ratio is insane - do you train equipped?

#453 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

I have totally and completely fallen in love with HackSquats and alt out to Reverse ones 2x week Legs.

I am doing a kind of weird Routine lately: 20/20/15/10/10+--Slow rolling the rep's-->135-155 lb's weight wise.

Yeah these melt my legs. My legs are tough for me as I have to run so much for cardio..

Pull-Up's are my vice and favorite thing at the gym--takes probably six months:

I found 3x things to help with pulls up's if you want to take them to the next level.

I wake up and have a pull up bar in my place..just rep out before I shower..randomly.

Find a assisted machine, put it on half your body weight and do as many as possible.
200--Put it on 100.
Each week reduce whatever your comfortable with until your doing body weight at the rep range you want to do.
Then add weights to yourself.

Rock-Climb...at a gym..where-ever..

50-60+ pull ups no problem all day.

#454 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 04 December 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

My cut is progressing nicely, down to 84 kg now and have hit a couple bench pb's in last few weeks.

squat is maintaining nicely, probably as i'm doing back squat 2* a week and front squat 2* a week.

Maark, your squat:deadlift ratio is insane - do you train equipped?

It is? Um... Well, I use knee supports past 140kg on squats if I feel the need, or past 160kg on deads (not always, mind). Back support is mandatory if any lift is 120kg or above (I've had issues with my lower back before).

I've been out of the gym with a nasty chest cold for the last fortnight - back in tomorrow with lower body.

#455 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

normally speaking, people have a deadlift well in excess of squat, unless they train equipped (squat suit, knee wraps, etc)

There are occasional exceptions of course. short arms tend to lead to a lower deadlift and short legs a higher squat owing to the biomechanical leverages involved.

I'm seen as a bit of a freak in the group I train with as my squat is nearly equal to my deadlift. In fact, my 8 rep maxes are the same for both.

that's why a 1:1 ratio is a little nuts. The fact that you've had lower back issues would lead me to guess that your deadlift is lower as you're probably more careful about overloading it.

#456 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

My trap bar dead is heavier than my max squat - although I should add that for a while I've only been squatting to 160kg (180kg is my personal best, not current training max). I squat in the powerlifter stance as well (legs wide) if that makes a difference (*edit)? And yeah, I'm very careful with my dead. I reckon with the trap bar and wearing wrist straps, I might manage 220kg...

Back in today, Going to max out at 100kg because I've been ill and don't want to risk an injury.

Double edit: If I don't slouch I'm 6'1-2" ish (6' usually because I have a WoW-esque troll slouch). Again, no clue about biomechanics.

This post has been edited by Maark: 06 December 2014 - 07:16 AM

#457 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Incidentally here's a pair of videos of some of my heavier lifts. Bracing self for technique pointers in 3...

#458 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

By way of a progress update:

The illness has knocked my squat down a little. I'm not topping at 140kg. Need to get working on that.

Conversely, my TP deadlift is up to 210kg as of yesterday. I think you're right, Coco - take my lower back timidity out of the equation and I could have pulled more perhaps. One day I may have a session purely to establish a max on there as I felt like I could maybe have pulled more. Leg press is still topping at 540, but then our leg press machine can't cope with more plates than this.

Upper body lifts are much the same - I've been using the assisted pull up station in the other room, and I'm able to pull up BW-20kg (75-80kg pulled total) for two reps as of today.

#459 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

been messing around with a lot of strongman stuff lately:

Sled push up to 232kg (511 lbs)
Log clean and press to 75kg (165 lbs) (its the size of the damn log holding this back. have to lean pretty far back before pressing it and the weight just sits on your chest cutting off the air)
Farmers walks to 85kg per hand (187 lbs)
Also got bench up to 120kg (264 lbs)

All at bodyweight of 85 (again, 187 lbs)

plans for next few months:
Going to run Thigpen's Cube Method for Strongman for a few cycles and see what happens while trying to cut down to 80kg (176 lbs)

Should be a fun time :)

#460 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

Went the gym for the first time in a month and half. Felt ill but wanted to go before the new year so went new years eve. Ive lost 10 kg from 5x5 Military press so it was a comfortable (ish) 60.

Did some pull ups and dips aswell and surprisingly with all the food ive eaten dips were alot harder than the pull ups.

Need to get back into it and will do so today.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users