• You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#421 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 22 May 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

So, last year I decided I would get back into my shape of yore, though with some added muscle mass. It was going really well, I was improving rapidly both in endurance and strenght until around september when something happened in my lower back during my last rep of deadlifts.

Turns out I managed to gift myself with a spinal disc herniation in my lower back, or a slipped disc as it's also called. I've been doing physical therapy and all, but the way back into proper shape is grueling. It takes so little to regress and start feelign serious pain again. Just a slight slip up in technique and I'm out of it for days. It's incredibly frustrating, especially as this is a permanent injury. All I can do is work to aleviate the symptoms the best I can.

Did you consider surgery?

I've been lucky in that the only back injury I've had was a cracked sacroiliac joint incurred when a cousin let his end of a washing machine slip. It took probably a year to fully heal back up as I kept re-injuring it playing sports.

I've seen a few people with disc injuries slowly accumulate enough muscle around the disc that they can get through some pretty demanding workouts, but it did take a long time and some unusually smart workouts to get there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#422 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

Hill Sprints

F me they are awesome. Insanely swamped with work right now and when I get home it's play with the kid time. So I have about 20 minutes to work out recently. And 20 minutes of Hill Sprints are a great friggin workout.

But damn I miss deadlifts.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#423 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE!

#424 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Havnt been the gym in about 2 weeks work plus tiredness/illness. Struggling to get motivated to go now. I prefer going late as the gyms quiet but still.

I am going and ill be starting with 75k OHP hell or high water

#425 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Pack your gym bag at home, at the beginning of the day, and leave it in your car or cubicle (if you don't drive to work). Having it packed and ready to go is a huge thing in overcoming the "blah, I want to go home" feeling that we all, every one of us, deal with on a regular basis.

I'm almost always glad I went to the gym even if I didn't want to that day. The exercise and the routine being stuck to help me psychologically as well as physically.

#426 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 11 June 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

Pack your gym bag at home, at the beginning of the day, and leave it in your car or cubicle (if you don't drive to work). Having it packed and ready to go is a huge thing in overcoming the "blah, I want to go home" feeling that we all, every one of us, deal with on a regular basis.

I'm almost always glad I went to the gym even if I didn't want to that day. The exercise and the routine being stuck to help me psychologically as well as physically.

Pretty much this. I go to the gym straight after work, and its on my way home. Having a crew of people to lift with helps hugely motivational wise - even if you feel sh**, you just go in to spot the others and do whatever you can manage for yourself. Knowing that you're needed for spotting = extra impetus to ensure you go.
meh. Link was dead :(

#427 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

View Postamphibian, on 22 May 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 22 May 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

So, last year I decided I would get back into my shape of yore, though with some added muscle mass. It was going really well, I was improving rapidly both in endurance and strenght until around september when something happened in my lower back during my last rep of deadlifts.

Turns out I managed to gift myself with a spinal disc herniation in my lower back, or a slipped disc as it's also called. I've been doing physical therapy and all, but the way back into proper shape is grueling. It takes so little to regress and start feelign serious pain again. Just a slight slip up in technique and I'm out of it for days. It's incredibly frustrating, especially as this is a permanent injury. All I can do is work to aleviate the symptoms the best I can.

Did you consider surgery?

I've been lucky in that the only back injury I've had was a cracked sacroiliac joint incurred when a cousin let his end of a washing machine slip. It took probably a year to fully heal back up as I kept re-injuring it playing sports.

I've seen a few people with disc injuries slowly accumulate enough muscle around the disc that they can get through some pretty demanding workouts, but it did take a long time and some unusually smart workouts to get there.

Forgot I had posted here. I have considered surgery, but the consensus of my doctor, my physical therapist and my personal trainer is that it will reduce mobility in my lower back by a lot. Better to, as you say, build core muscle to alleviate. So that's what I'm trying to do. It's going slow, but I'm noticing a steady improvement. I've had a couple of regressions in that I've dones something wrong and developed an infection, but I finally see light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

On the positive side, the injury forces me to be diligent in going to the gym at least four times a week. If I start slacking the pain returns in no time at all.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#428 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Posttiam, on 11 June 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Havnt been the gym in about 2 weeks work plus tiredness/illness. Struggling to get motivated to go now. I prefer going late as the gyms quiet but still.

I am going and ill be starting with 75k OHP hell or high water

View Postamphibian, on 11 June 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

Something that helps me is to have a program.

I used to go to the gym three to four times a week, without a program or fixed schedule. After a while, that frequency dropped due to a high workload that drained most of my energy and motivation away. Pretty soon, I had a hard time motivating myself to go, especially as I was getting used to spend my time differently (reading, going out with friends, ...). Long story, short, I completely quit, with a suppressed voice at the back of my head whispering that I should actually resume my gym visits.

Nowadays, I don't visit a gym anymore, but I got back on my bike and I'm following a training program. I don't have to think or decide whether I actually want to go out anymore, as my program just says: Tomorrow it's Tuesday, you're scheduled for a 90 minute sprint interval training; don't think about it, just go!
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

#429 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

I'm doing wind sprints, calisthenics and more every Monday. It is seriously kicking my ass. I was never a big runner, just played soccer until I could run off/on for five hours at a time.

Then the rest of the five days a week are devoted to grappling and explosive strength.

I'm up to 200 lbs, but not a great composition even if my teammates are having a hard time dealing with me. Need to get back to 185 and be faster.

#430 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:13 PM

@ amphibian

Spend 90 days on changing the way you eat.. Look here-->

http://forum.bodybui...php?t=121703981

I Run a 185p/150c/50f and reduce every other week carbs by 15 when cutting down about 50 carb's for two weeks max.
That makes me lose about 2-3 pounds a week..

I run 240P/185c/65f when bulking which I build up from whereever I am.

Find what works for you..and eat clean.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 07 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#431 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

Similar to Amph, got pretty heavy recently, almost 200lbs (90kg for the normal people :unworthy:) and have now started the long slow process of cutting without losing much strength. weighed in at 88 kg this morning, so my plan of losing 1 kg / 2 lbs a week is okay so far (2 weeks in at least)

But god damn it's boring.

On the plus side, my lifting is going pretty well, hit some cracking squat numbers running the Big Texas method (best day was a 3 RM of 160 kg / 352 lbs) and boring old 5*5 and tapering on bench has hauled that up to a single 120 kg / 264 lbs (admittedly touch and go not paused)

Lamentably my deadlift is still (comparatively) bloody awful though.

Strongman training is pretty good too. Have done a 220kg / 485 lbs yoke over a 20 metre track (10 metres and dump, turn and come back) Also pushed a 210 kg / 462 lbs prowler over the same distance. I really like the strongman stuff, but sadly that's not at my main gym, its at one i only get to once every 2/3 weeks.

#432 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:45 AM

Way to go!

I'm on a hiatus from serious exertion for a bit as my eyes heal up. Lots of walking and eventually agility drills in my future.

#433 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

what happened to your eyes?

#434 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Just caught this thread.

After a very long Hiatus I tried to go back to gym. I'm trying to focus on general fitness, and building muscle. I figure if I can do those two things looking better and losing weight will naturally follow.

It was a bit disheartening to see how far back I have regressed, though not surprising.
Bench - 80 Kg max
Deadlift - 90 Kg max (I have always hated this exercise)
Squat - 100 kg, though I think I can do better

My big problem, though I realise its very much in part due how long its been since I have been exercising is delayed onset muscle soreness. Does anyone have any tips to prevent, reduce this?

Also does anyone take supplements? I used to regard them as either a waste of money or a crutch but a colleague of mine is always downing a protein shake of some kind and I have to say that over the last few months I have noticed a huge change in him.

This post has been edited by Cause: 02 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

#435 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

The supplements thing is tricky depending on what you're refering to. But protein shakes can be helpful post workout to aid in muscle repair. And equally, having a shake during the day can help to stop you from eating bad foods if you're hungry (but you are still obviously consuming calories).

I found having a protein shake ready for immediately after intense training sessions helped me out a lot in terms of recovery. I used to be getting home over an hour after training and that wasn't ideal so having something ready to go was great.

As for delayed onset muscle soreness, you should try and do as much stretching and loosening up as you can at the end of your workout, and again the next day, even if you're not doing anything else. Basically get the muscles stretching somehow to get the blood flowing to them without but too much strain on them.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#436 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

*2 on the stretching.

I'd recommend you get a foam roller if you haven't got one, and use it regularly.

#437 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

Coco with marshmallows said:

1414960289[/url]' post='1157879']
*2 on the stretching.

I'd recommend you get a foam roller if you haven't got one, and use it regularly.

Dear lord, so much this. Those things are fantasmic.

@Cause. Protein and Creatine are the only 2 I recommend. They're both relatively cheap and proven to be effective. If you're tying to build muscle, don't forget to add plenty of healthy carbs to your diet as well. So many people preach protein protein protein and neglect the impact carbs have on muscle buliding.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#438 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 02 November 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

what happened to your eyes?

Laser eye surgery. They cut a three quarters circle in the tops of my eyes, peeled it back and zapped the eye with the laser to reshape it. The circle was then put back in, but it needs time to get fully settled - over a month of no serious exercise.

#439 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

Also has anyone (specifically a make I guess) done Yoga? I find the promised benefits of enhanced flexibility, core strenght and balance very appealing but I am sceptical. Im interested in the exercise not the spiritual ascpect and wonder if it really delivers.

#440 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

Do hot yoga and it'll get you more flexible and improve your balance. Tiny bit of strength improvement if you aren't used to doing push ups, squats or headstands already.

Morgoth does it and I occasionally do some stuff to loosen up my back and hamstrings.

I dunno about core strength improvements unless the person literally did nothing for years beforehand.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users