• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gardens of the Moon characters

#1 User is offline   Onrack 

• Captain
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

I've been getting these guys together for sooooooo long it's insane because of the amount of times I've drawn, re-drawn, found out something else and drawn them again but I finally managed to get a pretty good number of them down on paper, I got them as accurate as I could but at the end of the day they're still my interpretations(and whats possible to do in pencil) so without further introduction........THE INTRODUCTIONS!!

Posted Image

(LEFT TO RIGHT)
Challice D'Arle
Kruppe
Fiddler
Cotillion
Tattersail
Baruk
Shadowthrone
Murillio
Nightchill
Coll
Picker
Tayschrenn
Kalam
Anomander Rake
Lorn
Trotts
Toc the Younger
Rallick Nom
Mammot
Korlat
Turban Orr
Antsy
Whiskeyjack
Kallor
Ganoes Paran
Dujek Onearm
Mallet
Crokus Younghand
Meese
Raest
Oponn
Sorry
Quick Ben
Laseen
Tool
Lady Simtal
Caladan Brood
Estraysian D'Arle
Hedge
Bellurdan

#2 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

in my minds eye, tattersail is a bit fatter, paran looks younger, just thinking sorry looks good and so does quick ben and kalam, don't know about tool, i like what you have done with oponn although they both look like girls and i thought they were brother and sister? kruppe looks totally different to how i view him.. what are your comments?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#3 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Photoshopping, gaming, reading - general nerdiness.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

These are all great! You've done a really good job of distinguishing the characters from one another and reflecting their personalities. Kruppe looks very similar to how I pictured him (sorry to disagree Tattersail :)). Would it be possible to put the names under each character? Because it is pretty difficult to look at the list and then back, then back again and so on. The only character I can see off-hand that I think could be changed is Laseen, because she is stated as having very short hair. The length of her jaw also makes her a little masculine, and her skin is quite dark (she is Napan, after all). Oh, and just spotted Kallor - he looks a little frail and not quite as menacing/cynical as he is in the books. Anyway, nit-picking over; kudos to you!
" ...neither mortal nor immortal can fathom the mind of an artist. But as a general rule, between two possible answers, choose the more sordid one." - Bugg, Dust Of Dreams

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I epecially think you got Crokus, Tays, Coll and Challice just perfect, though they are all great and it's hard to pick just a few. Mammot looks absolutely hilarious, but I always found him a bit goofy so it fits tremendously to me. I can easily imagine that face talking sarcastically to a flying monkey. Great work Onrack!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Fantastic pictures! You can pick them out without the list! Really good stuff, even Picker looks accurate to me, even though she's hardly described physically in the books as far as I remember. I think Kalam should be a bit more bulky, but hey.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'd switch Lorn and Laseen, and I agree on a few of the comments already made [mostly on Kalam, Kallor and Paran], but mostly I could pick them out without the list, so great job :)
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Awesome work! Kruppe is spot on!

I know they are not gotm characters, but can you take a shot at Karsa Orlong (Toblakai) and Coltaine?..... please.Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Riot 

• Former Crimson Guard

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

wow, just wow. amazing work

#9 User is offline   carpet 

• Corporal

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

very good work.

but, Onrack, please, put names under the pictures, it's impossible to identify (unusual humans easy, but other //// )

This post has been edited by carpet: 23 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

View PostBeezulbubba, on 23 July 2010 - 07:04 PM, said:

I know they are not gotm characters, but can you take a shot at Karsa Orlong (Toblakai) and Coltaine?..... please.Posted Image

The search function is your friend Beelzul...

http://forum.malazan...=1

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   TheSurvivor 

• Captain
  • Interests:Reading and Writing pretty much dominate this section.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

There are odds and ends I would dispute but overall I'm saying great job.
The world needs hypocrites...unfortunate but true.

#12 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

View PostD, on 23 July 2010 - 08:51 PM, said:

Thank you for the links! I have used the search (and yes, including the Advanced option) and it is not so intuitive to me. Anyway... thanks! I think Karsa can teach Mel Gibson a thing or two about anger management.

#13 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

They're all great, even if I imagine a few of them differently (Shadowthrone for example.), but the one that really cracked me up is Hedge, spot on and hilarious! Also loving Fiddler, he looks quite friendly the way you drew him. :)
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#14 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:30 AM

View PostPuck, on 23 July 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'd switch Lorn and Laseen, and I agree on a few of the comments already made [mostly on Kalam, Kallor and Paran], but mostly I could pick them out without the list, so great job :)

Agreed. You should pick up the comic project where the Dabel Brothers left off. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#15 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

Fantastic work Onrack, love the grin on Quick Ben's face. Classic stuff.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#16 User is offline   Onrack 

• Captain

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

View PostTattersail, on 23 July 2010 - 02:56 PM, said:

in my minds eye, tattersail is a bit fatter, paran looks younger, just thinking sorry looks good and so does quick ben and kalam, don't know about tool, i like what you have done with oponn although they both look like girls and i thought they were brother and sister? kruppe looks totally different to how i view him.. what are your comments?

cheers for the feedback, to give my own reasoning behind some of them I looked at Tattersail a different way for this, I did intent to go a lot bulkier first off but then I noticed she is described as round faced and plump, and while there are pointers to her being fat they are usually descriptions of herself by herself, which most thin girls I know do let alone anyone 'plump'. That said she does have a plump body, you just cant see it is all! as for Paran it was only after I drew him like he is here that I found out he must be in his early twenties (or something like that) in the book, but I think I've been influenced by what I think he looks like throughout the series, so just imagine a younger version of this guy. Oponn looks like girls because hes/shes twins.....which totally makes sense hmmmm. its all interpretation and everybody's got a different one

View Postmax7773, on 23 July 2010 - 03:19 PM, said:

These are all great! You've done a really good job of distinguishing the characters from one another and reflecting their personalities. Kruppe looks very similar to how I pictured him (sorry to disagree Tattersail :p). Would it be possible to put the names under each character? Because it is pretty difficult to look at the list and then back, then back again and so on. The only character I can see off-hand that I think could be changed is Laseen, because she is stated as having very short hair. The length of her jaw also makes her a little masculine, and her skin is quite dark (she is Napan, after all). Oh, and just spotted Kallor - he looks a little frail and not quite as menacing/cynical as he is in the books. Anyway, nit-picking over; kudos to you!

thanks Max much obliged,
I would have put the names or numbers with the characters except I kinda look at this as a picture itself and didn't want to graffiti all over it but a couple of people have asked so I'll get on made up
LASEEEEEEN what is up with that chick man, I read this comment yesterday and was like 'whats this? short hair?' as one of the characters that I had such a solid image of in my head I didn't bother to do any research and when I did I found out she had mousy brown short hair and was a bloody smurf!!!! imagine my surprise. good call dude.
Kallor on the other hand I did do a bit of research for and found this....

'his longevity probably came from alchemies, and was anything but perfect, for his face and body were as ravaged as those of a mortal man who was nearing a century of life.'

though I think I would get his menacing appearance through a lot better if he wasn't a floating head.

View PostD, on 23 July 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

I epecially think you got Crokus, Tays, Coll and Challice just perfect, though they are all great and it's hard to pick just a few. Mammot looks absolutely hilarious, but I always found him a bit goofy so it fits tremendously to me. I can easily imagine that face talking sarcastically to a flying monkey. Great work Onrack!

hehe cheers man, after drawing Mammot I was convinced I had seen him before somewhere then I thought of this...
Posted Image

View PostTraveller, on 23 July 2010 - 04:21 PM, said:

Fantastic pictures! You can pick them out without the list! Really good stuff, even Picker looks accurate to me, even though she's hardly described physically in the books as far as I remember. I think Kalam should be a bit more bulky, but hey.

cheers dude
I was goin' for kinda like this guy, interestingly he's got the body of Kalam and the face of Quick, go figure
Posted Image

I'd switch Lorn and Laseen, and I agree on a few of the comments already made [mostly on Kalam, Kallor and Paran], but mostly I could pick them out without the list, so great job :p

haha yeah I think I might have mixed them up in me head at some point DURP! sweet dude cheers

I gots a couple O' Erikson pics on here that should have what you want devart site

View PostRiot, on 23 July 2010 - 07:21 PM, said:

wow, just wow. amazing work

Thanks a lot Riot

View Postcarpet, on 23 July 2010 - 07:39 PM, said:

very good work.

but, Onrack, please, put names under the pictures, it's impossible to identify (unusual humans easy, but other //// )

ooooooooooh all right then, cheers dude

cheers man, I quite like Kruppe myself out of his many expressions this one is 'INDIGNANT!'

View PostTheSurvivor, on 23 July 2010 - 08:55 PM, said:

There are odds and ends I would dispute but overall I'm saying great job.

glad to hear it man these are just my versions, thanks!

View PostBeezulbubba, on 23 July 2010 - 09:05 PM, said:

Thank you for the links! I have used the search (and yes, including the Advanced option) and it is not so intuitive to me. Anyway... thanks! I think Karsa can teach Mel Gibson a thing or two about anger management.

haha they didn't call him Mad Max for nothin' though

View PostNikitaDarkstar, on 24 July 2010 - 01:27 AM, said:

They're all great, even if I imagine a few of them differently (Shadowthrone for example.), but the one that really cracked me up is Hedge, spot on and hilarious! Also loving Fiddler, he looks quite friendly the way you drew him. :p

cheers Nikita I'm stoked you like 'em

View PostSombra, on 24 July 2010 - 02:30 AM, said:

Agreed. You should pick up the comic project where the Dabel Brothers left off. :p

man an erikson comic would be the hardest thing in the world to do I think I would end up a mental wreck trying visualize whats going on ,I think it would go something along the lines of... what the hell does a warren look like anyway? how the bloody hell can she be 'slightly' blue, whats all this about a floating rock? how in buggery am I supposed to make that fat chick attractive enough for that twenty year old to do.......waaaaiiiit a sec, THAT'S THE GUY THAT JUST GOT NAILED IN AN ALLEY.
I can see why the Dabel brothers left off

View Postlobo the wolfman, on 24 July 2010 - 05:26 AM, said:

Fantastic work Onrack, love the grin on Quick Ben's face. Classic stuff.

thanks man I tried to make his teeth as small as possible!

This post has been edited by Onrack: 24 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

#17 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

Awesome as always - you just get better and better Onrack. Now try the shi'gall assassin? :)

interesting though - that guy you said has the body of kalam and the head of quick ben - I think is actually a ringer for quick - the body isn't big enough for kalam who is bearish and much bigger, or rather wider.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#18 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hedge is spot on.

#19 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

fantastic.
Chalice is a minor in GotM, but she jumps off the page there, perfect, you can jsut imagine crokus being captured

#20 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Photoshopping, gaming, reading - general nerdiness.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 July 2010 - 07:21 PM, said:

fantastic.
Chalice is a minor in GotM, but she jumps off the page there, perfect, you can jsut imagine crokus being captured

TtH spoiler
Spoiler

" ...neither mortal nor immortal can fathom the mind of an artist. But as a general rule, between two possible answers, choose the more sordid one." - Bugg, Dust Of Dreams

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users