Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferrule

#1 User is offline   Rooster 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Is it just me or is Ferrules name wrong? The members of Dassems First Sword were all names after parts (or processes) that make up a sword, now a Ferrule is indeed a part of a sword (and many other tools) however it seems to me that the part ICE was looking for was the "fuller" that being the groove that runs down the center of blade. This groove is there for reasons of strength and weight however common myth has it that the fuller was there let the blood run off the blade. In NOK it's stated "They'd given the hairy, muscular Seti plainsman the name of Ferrule because he liked to fight in close. After any battle the blood literally ran from him." which is what leads me to this conclusion. Opinions?

P.S.

I'm sure the word ferrule was used to directly refer to the groove in someones sword but I can't find the passage for the life of me

-edit-

I guess this could have gone on the NOK subforum and indeed may have already been covered there. I shall go search there as well.

This post has been edited by Rooster: 11 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

#2 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

A ferrule is part of the hilt - it's a key component that stops the hilt falling apart - thus denoting strenght.

The Japanese equivalent is "Fuchi". Do a search for that and you'll get a better idea of what it is.

If you fight close with a knife, the handle will get covered in blood.

#3 User is offline   Rooster 

• Corporal

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:50 AM

I know quite well what a ferrule is. I thought I explained that. However the description doesn't match the name in my opinion.

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Rooster, on 11 July 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

Is it just me or is Ferrules name wrong? The members of Dassems First Sword were all names after parts (or processes) that make up a sword, now a Ferrule is indeed a part of a sword (and many other tools) however it seems to me that the part ICE was looking for was the "fuller" that being the groove that runs down the center of blade. This groove is there for reasons of strength and weight however common myth has it that the fuller was there let the blood run off the blade. In NOK it's stated "They'd given the hairy, muscular Seti plainsman the name of Ferrule because he liked to fight in close. After any battle the blood literally ran from him." which is what leads me to this conclusion. Opinions?

P.S.

I'm sure the word ferrule was used to directly refer to the groove in someones sword but I can't find the passage for the life of me

-edit-

I guess this could have gone on the NOK subforum and indeed may have already been covered there. I shall go search there as well.

I think you're looking at the wrong part of the quote. You think the name was given because of the 'after any battle the blood literally ran from him'. But that part was just confirming the previous part of the quote that he got his name because he liked to fight in close. I am not familiar with all the names of the various parts of a sword, but if the ferrule is part of the hilt as maro stated then that name makes sense to me because the hilt is in close to the body, and that was the way he fought.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#5 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Rooster, on 12 July 2010 - 05:50 AM, said:

I know quite well what a ferrule is. I thought I explained that. However the description doesn't match the name in my opinion.

sorry chap - it just doesn't read very clearly from your post.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users