• You cannot reply to this topic

Tor.com - Book Club Style Re-Read

#1 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

Dear All,

I've been contacted by Tor.com to ask if our members here would be interested in taking part in a re-read, similar to the Wheel of Time which is taking place on Tor's website. I think it's quite an interesting process, particularly with two books out later this year (well maybe one in January 2011) and the launch of Transworld's The First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach – which will be published in Bantam Press hardback at the end of August. The tales in question being Blood Follows, The Lees of Laughter’s End and The Healthy Dead.

In addition there are goodies on offer - see below for more information :-

On July 7th Tor.com will be launching a book-club style "re-read" of the Malazan series. For the past two years we have been hosting a similar discussion about our Wheel of Time series. Throughout that time we have enjoyed a close relationship with many of the Robert Jordan fan site runners.

In hopes of fostering a similar relationship with the Malazan fan sites, I wanted to introduce myself and offer the use of a free desktop wallpaper design. We have purchased the rights from artist Michael Komark to convert one of his Malazan paintings into a set of desktop sizes. If you are interested in offering them, free of charge, to your readers for a week-long exclusive, let me know and we can supply a variety of screen sizes to you. We can also offer a free banner ad on Tor.com that links back to MalazanEmpire.com.

I've long enjoyed a convention-friendship with Steve and Cam. I'm looking forward to this extended evaluation of their work. and would love to explore any dialogue we can have between Tor.com and MalazanEmpire.com.

So please let me have your comments :p .. and make them nice? :p
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

I dunno, I think it would be good, and quite fun, but bloody hard to do - the way the link example works, with chapter-by-chapter summaries and 'best line' and so forth doesn't feel entirely reasonable for the Malazan series. Sure, most chapters will have something cool to talk about, but at the same time some don't, and some would be better suited to being dealt with in pairs, or sets even. I dunno if the entire re-read thing is done the way of that first person's link I read, or if that's how it has to be, but even so, it would be cool to see/do.

:p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   Kater 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

It seems like an interesting exercise but WoT is more straight forward than the Malazan books, so some of those 'summaries' and important points could be epic. I think they've got the comments section wrong structurally too, I'd imagine the speed at which conversation may take place with people posting it could become quite confusing and fragmented. Nice idea in principal though.
Delighted to, bony one. I respond in this manner. It is as Cotillion believes. The rooster died of grief.

#4 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

This could turn out to be really cool. I've followed the WoT re-read off and on and found the chapter summaries helpful with remembering stuff from books I haven't read in years, and Leigh's commentary is usually quite fun and thoughtful. To answer your concern Silencer, the "best-line" isn't a required feature of the posts, it's just something Leigh does from time to time as a huge fan of the series (she's also done alot of work with the wotfaq website and is a regular from the old usenet days). Going further, I'm sure TOR would allow the person that would be doing the Malazan re-read their own preferences. And you're right Kater, TOR's comments section could use some work, it's horrible trying to follow stuff in there.

For a series that has so many fragmented and disjointed looks at things that don't become important until later, I think alot of people would find something like this re-read quite helpful.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Fricking finally. They announced this thing back in March, then in April announced that it would be pushed back to June. Now it's July...

Anyway, I'm really excited for this. I won't be rereading along, but I'll definitely be keeping tabs on the endeavor.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like a good idea.

I'm down.

I have been meaning to start a re-read anyway.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7 User is offline   Mischiefs' Folly 

• Tanno Spiritwalker
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

I think that is a great Idea! It will also give Steve a bit of exposure. I know when I first started reading (or before I started, I was looking at the bookstore fore something new.) I was always put off his books because of the "bad" US covers, especially GotM.
Oh, me and my endless folly!

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

Good idea - not only will it bring exposure, but if we can make a deal as to sharing the results of it (the summaries, frequently answered questions), we can improve this site also.

It's like one of those Japanese slogans: mutual effort brings great results, or something like that in Engrish.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

On the Tor website they say they already have a pair of people that would be doing the re-read. Do they just want contributing help with that? Or are they trying to replace those people?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#10 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Good idea...but I guess that many part will turn into huge discussion about exact meaning of the scene...first menhir on the Way - Tattersail and Deck of Dragons :p But I like it...and I even more like that wallpaper possibility :p
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#11 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

How fast will the reread take place? A book per month? Just curious. I plan to do a reread soon but just can't decide when to start.

This post has been edited by ansible: 01 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#12 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

Who would write the commentaries? It would obviously have to be someone who writes well.

#13 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

I'm not entirely sure I understand what this is, but I'm already rereading the series right now, so it might not hurt.

I also really like the idea of the wallpapers, and no that's not the only reason I like this idea  :p

#14 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

I was aware of this re-read but no idea what they are asking exactly. I couldn't care less about wallpapers but dialogue between Tor and this site can only be good, if only their requests were more clear.

They should also contact this guy: http://malazanascendancy.com/
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#15 User is offline   Prophet of Daru 

• Recruit
  • Interests:The smell of old books and libraries with low ceilings. Trains in the winter, maps of gone lands.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

This sounds quite interesting! Albeit I am only three books into the series, nonetheless it would be fantastic to look at the series in a more directed less discursive way.

If needs be, I am happy to write small pieces - I am one of the ranks of English Lit MAs shambling about with a full brain and an empty wallet. :(

From the Arrows of Sebastien

#16 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

For anyone who is interested in adding comments etc to the re-read it should be up on the Tor site "July 7th 10:00am New York Time".

I've already been sent the wallpapers so I'll put them up in the morning.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#17 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

It's up now. Prologue + 1st chapter.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#18 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

Please see this thread for the wallpapers.

Due to the threadbusting size of them they are in a locked topic in the Malazan Art forum, where they won't interfere with anyone's posting experience.

If anyone needs a mac version of any particular size - send me a pm. :)

Many thanks to Tor for the opportunity.

#19 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yes!!! thank you! (a little pee escaped when I checked out the wallpaper thread). This re-read of Gotm is going to be epic!.... goes to the top of my "daily sites to visit" bookmarks. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hmm we're not discussing it much!
So far the only thing I've taken from it, is that I must be REALLY frigging thick.
Because as a first time reader, Amanda gets some references/clues WAY before I did. I swear Bill must be prepping her, no-ones that insightful, surely!?
Or maybe as she's readinging and taking notes, she's just paying more attention to detail than I, who approached it purely for fun and entertainment, without realising everything was going to be so full of foreshadowing and hidden hints.
I think I'll massage my ego with that scenario, yes.:)

How's everyone else finding it?
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users