Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Audio Books Where are they.

#1 User is offline   gypsydevil 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

Ok, I drive a lot, and thusly listen to a lot of audio books. I've gone through Dark tower, A Game of Thrones, Dune, etc. I would really like to start on the Malazan series but can't seem to find it anywhere.

The really weird part is, I know they exist(at least 3 of them). Gardens of the Moon, Dead house gates, and Memories of Ice are all available via torrents/rapidshare(which I do not want to use and fully denounce piracy of any kind), however, I cannot for the life of me find out where to purchase them. What's the deal? Where can I buy them?

As for the rest of the series, looks like no audio books and no plans for them, correct?

#2 User is offline   gypsydevil 

• Recruit

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

is there anywhere else I could ask this question? I've tried here and yahoo answers. Should I have posted it in a different board?

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

No, this is probably the best place to ask, but I've seen several threads about audio books, either the creation thereof or the obtaining thereof end up with just plain old dead threads - the site owners are the most likely people to know, and they say there aren't any official audio books.

If you send a PM to the user 'Hetan' with this question, I'm sure you'll have a faster and more accurate response, though. :thumbsup:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   gypsydevil 

• Recruit

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

View PostSilencer, on 17 June 2010 - 03:55 AM, said:

No, this is probably the best place to ask, but I've seen several threads about audio books, either the creation thereof or the obtaining thereof end up with just plain old dead threads - the site owners are the most likely people to know, and they say there aren't any official audio books.

If you send a PM to the user 'Hetan' with this question, I'm sure you'll have a faster and more accurate response, though. :thumbsup:

cool thanks

#5 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

View Postgypsydevil, on 17 June 2010 - 03:58 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 17 June 2010 - 03:55 AM, said:

cool thanks

The publishers have told me that they are not currently available as audio books and he rather suspects that the size and complexity of them would not make them very audio book friendly.

For those who want them in ebook format - they are available from Random House directly.

edit : apparently they will shortly be available for iphone too - which makes me very happy. :D
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#6 User is offline   gypsydevil 

• Recruit

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Good news!! Or at least, not bad news!!

This is the email reply from steven eriksons website:

Dear --------I have just recently signed an amendment to my contract for audio versions of the Malazan novels; so the wheels are in motion, at least through Bantam UK.

Glad you're enjoying the books.

Best Regards
Steven Erikson

So it may be a while but looks like they are on the way..now...maybe I'll tide myself over by starting WoT series.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Now I'll know how to pronounce all the weird names, like K'Chain Che'malle and Tiste Andii and Quick Ben.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   needfer 

• Recruit

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

Posted Image This is AWESOME!!!! I can not wait....... Thanks to SE and all involved in the audio books!!! Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Bonan the Carbarian 

• Recruit

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:42 AM

This might be old news it's certainly an old thread) but....

All of the Malazan books have been or are being done for the Library Of Congress's Talking Books program.

The catch? You gotta qualify for the LOC TB program, which means you're blind or otherwise disabled enough so that you can't read a book. But these things are out there.

#10 User is offline   hnoor0077 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:31 AM

I know they exist(at least 3 of them). Gardens of the Moon, Dead house gates, and Memories of Ice are all available via torrents/rapidshare(which I do not want to use and fully denounce piracy of any kind), however, I cannot for the life of me find out where to purchase them.
NOOR

#11 User is offline   Giantblaze 

• Corporal

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:22 AM

View Posthnoor0077, on 27 April 2016 - 02:31 AM, said:

I know they exist(at least 3 of them). Gardens of the Moon, Dead house gates, and Memories of Ice are all available via torrents/rapidshare(which I do not want to use and fully denounce piracy of any kind), however, I cannot for the life of me find out where to purchase them.

They have the audio books on amazon. You can get it one of two ways, through the amazon audio book thing audible or in cd form. Also from the looks of it they have audio books for it all the way up to the crippled god.

This post has been edited by Giantblaze: 28 April 2016 - 01:24 AM

#12 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostGiantblaze, on 28 April 2016 - 01:22 AM, said:

View Posthnoor0077, on 27 April 2016 - 02:31 AM, said:

They have the audio books on amazon. You can get it one of two ways, through the amazon audio book thing audible or in cd form. Also from the looks of it they have audio books for it all the way up to the crippled god.

Audible.com also has Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light (just starting to listen to this). The same company recently began shoving Esslemont volumes onto the market as well; Dancer's Lament had a rather good narrator. :)

#13 User is offline   Garage 

• Recruit

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

why oh why did Dust of Dreams have to be 36..... yes.... 36 discs......

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

You just kick back, put your CD player on shuffle, and hear the story as it was meant to be told.

#15 User is offline   Garage 

• Recruit

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

View Postworry, on 29 May 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

You just kick back, put your CD player on shuffle, and hear the story as it was meant to be told.

i wish...... i listen to mine on my phone, needless to say im currently itunes'ing them... Posted Image

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:42 AM

LOL how do you fit a CD into a phone? Let alone 36! I call shenanigans.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

View Postworry, on 30 May 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

LOL how do you fit a CD into a phone? Let alone 36! I call shenanigans.

Duct tape!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

Oh yah, duh. My apologies.

#19 User is offline   Jadedtitan 

• Recruit

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:36 PM

On a sort of side note...When listening to FoD, the narrator gave every single azathanai a scottish accent and it was awful and i refuse to call them the tie-st (Tih-steh is the right pronunciation!!!!!) But i do wonder, did SE tell them how to pronounce the races? Azathanai was also pronounced differently than what i say in my head. But Tiste was the worst...I had to pay more attention to the guy reading as i'd miss which characters were talking as the names were so far off from what i know them to be in my little brain.

#20 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

It is interesting listening to the different pronunciations. As my first encounter with the world of Malaz was via audiobook, Some of the voices and pronunciations were established by the narrator of the first 3 books (Ralph Lister) Who they should have brought back for Toll the Hounds as no one does Kruppe better. Part of what made House of Chains difficult to get into, was the change in narrator.

At this point, with I.C.E's books appearing in audio format as well as the Karkanis series, the different narrators and pronunciations sort of add to the meta-story. After such a long time even the Tiste have forgotten the proper terms in their own language.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users