Malazan Empire: Best (non-World of Warcraft) MMO out at the moment? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best (non-World of Warcraft) MMO out at the moment?

#1 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

So guys just bought myself a hefty new PC with decent graphics card etc...

Really wouldn't mind getting into an MMO. A few years back tried WOW, thought it was ok but it never really gripped me.
Played Guild Wars for many an hour and really loved it but played it to death.

I know there's a couple of really good looking ones on the horizion specifcally Star Wars from Bioware and Guild Wars 2, but my question is what other good ones are out there right now? What are you guys playing?

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

You should play EVE Online.
Kiss your life goodbye, though :D
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

View PostGothos, on 19 May 2010 - 12:49 PM, said:

You should play EVE Online.
Kiss your life goodbye, though Posted Image

oh yeah...I'd heard about that one!!!

I get the impression though its more about building up your finances etc... More than combat and action. Obviously I could be wrong!!

What do you enjoy about it Gothos?

#4 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

Well, it's incredibly open-ended and leaves most of the game in players' hands. Gives you nearly limitless possibilities (as long as you don't mind never landing on a planet).
Essentialy, the game is a sandbox. You can get tools for stuff, but everything is organised and run by players. Sky is the limit.

Not playing it myself, I don't have time for another MMO besides WoW. But if I had, I would. It's surrealy time-consuming though.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#5 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for that Gothos I might give that a try...hope they do a trial or something!!!

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Aye, iirc they do have something like a 14 day trial offer...
You have to know one thing anyway. It's not a very action-filled game. It's closer to Civilization than God of War. WAAAAAAY closer.

#7 User is offline   Alyis 

• Ceda Alyis
  • Interests:Gaming. Reading. Scripting. Programming. Graphic Design.
  • Looking for help for an MMO

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

EVE Online is very addicting! Glad to see some fellow Evelonians on here. I just reactivated my 4 accounts yes for anyway that plays 3 of them are my carebear miners. (: It would be cool to maybe get together in EVE!
Looking for people who want to help out with a new Malazan style MMO

#8 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

I've tried playing EVE twice, and if you go through Steam I think you can get a 21-day free trial. (Also, incidentally, EVE was on sale on Steam for like $2.99 a few days ago.) It is a pretty cool game, and if you like micromanagement, it's great. Training skills in real time is a novel idea, but once you realize it will take an entire year just to train the skills you need to be actively competitive, you get discouraged. The interface is complex and engaging, buying and outfitting ships is great. There is a lack of single-player content; the solo missions start to actually repeat after awhile. After that, you have to join a corporation and begin doing PvP stuff. I'm not much for PvP in MMOs, so this was less interesting to me. Near the end of my time playing EVE I started logging in only to set my skill queue. That's when I knew it was over. However, the player-created economy is far and away the best of its kind available today, and if you want to run a virtual corporation and make a fast getaway with a few billion ISK, EVE is the game for you.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

What's the point in an MMO if you're not going to do versus against other players? D:

Also, EVE is awesome, but I think the point ansible is making here is the learning curve:

Attached File  LearningCurve.jpg (49.46K)
Number of downloads: 2

Yeah...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#10 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

age of conan is a good game, although not many people play it.
-

#11 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:25 AM

View PostSilencer, on 02 July 2010 - 01:03 AM, said:

What's the point in an MMO if you're not going to do versus against other players? D:

Well, for instance, when I played WoW for a number of years, I raided end-game content almost exclusively and only PvP'd occasionally. So, there are other things to do in MMOs besides kill other players...you know, like killing dragonz.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#12 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:33 AM

Ugh, instanced dungeon raids. Might as well play a proper RPG with better storyline, lol. Just my opinion, of course, and sure you get the player interaction by joining a party or guild or whatever, but in general raiding has no appeal to me whatsoever, and is perhaps the epitome of the traditional 'scaled' level grinding behaviour MMO's encourage.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#13 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

View PostSilencer, on 02 July 2010 - 04:33 AM, said:

Ugh, instanced dungeon raids. Might as well play a proper RPG with better storyline, lol. Just my opinion, of course, and sure you get the player interaction by joining a party or guild or whatever, but in general raiding has no appeal to me whatsoever, and is perhaps the epitome of the traditional 'scaled' level grinding behaviour MMO's encourage.

Yes, the main reason I played was because I had many friends in the guild, and it was oodles of fun. I view MMOs almost exclusively as a social activity. Generally speaking, I much prefer single-player games and rarely play anything multiplayer. I understand there are some people who hate raiding, and I think that PvP is a perfectly legitimate reason to play an MMO. But rather than hate, I just prefer to agree to disagree. :p

#14 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostHigh Mage Quick Ben, on 02 July 2010 - 02:29 AM, said:

Keeping an eye to the MMO's (but never daring to actually get in on it), I've heard that Age of Conan has taken massive leaps from the buggy and unfinished product first released. And if it's graphics your after, I don't think you'll find any better...

View Postansible, on 02 July 2010 - 09:11 AM, said:

I just prefer to agree to disagree. :(

Well, you're fucking wrong, ass cheese! Now get the fuck out before I become reasonable again!
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#15 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

View PostBrynjar, on 02 July 2010 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostHigh Mage Quick Ben, on 02 July 2010 - 02:29 AM, said:

Keeping an eye to the MMO's (but never daring to actually get in on it), I've heard that Age of Conan has taken massive leaps from the buggy and unfinished product first released. And if it's graphics your after, I don't think you'll find any better...

Having played it from the start then dropped out after two months, I must say it got tedious quickly, also thanks to the level structure - there was not enough intermediate content to even get to the end-game. Also, some classes were flawed by their animations, which sometimes turned simple casts into multiply interrupted moves that took minutes to get off. Having no real healers, that's a major disadvantage. But yeah, it was pretty, and the ideas were great.

However, I must say the best I played, out of the superhero MMORPG City of Heroes, WoW, AoC, Warhammer and Aeon, the best was Warhammer. Fast levelling, not a whole lot of grinding, nice level trees, good balance between classes (until mass AoE tangle struck at lvl 30), challenging pvp grounds and loaded with lore and nice touches.
WoW and Aeon were both too much of a grind, CoH was crap throughout apart from the costume design part.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#16 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

I've seen good reviews for Warhammer. Haven't played it myself.

#17 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

It's way worse than advertised. You have to be a warhammer freak to play it.

#18 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

View PostGothos, on 02 July 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

It's way worse than advertised. You have to be a warhammer freak to play it.

I'll agree to disagree, cause I wasn't and still am not, but liked the game :( I left due to the lvl 30 mass snares in pvp and server imbalance between sides, but it was a great game.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#19 User is offline   General King 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Eve has had some big wars which involves thousands of players.

Great fun reading up the history of Eve, just the amount of backstabbing and destruction that has occured in a space of a few years.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users