• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Barghast

#1 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hey all, not posted in a long time.

Trying out some of the races to see how they might look and thought I'd make a start with the Barghast. They're not meant to represent anybody in the books, just the general racial characteristics.
Comments and crits welcome.

Attached File(s)

Seraph777 - DeviantArt...
SteveBellshaw - Patreon, wips, psds, new work...

#2 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

I'm no artist, but i like it. Always pictured Barghast as Aborigines (or is it Aboriginals?) for some reason, so you hit pretty close to how i envisioned them.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

the one on the left does it a lot better to me than the right one, but I think that's more because the right one's clothes seem far too neat and proper to look like an outdoorsy kind of person, as any Barghast would be. The material of it looks great (you were going for the coin-armor, yes?) but I wouldn't have it as such a well-fitting tunic. Facially and build-wise with the one on the left they look great!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

IMO really good work! I imagined them much darker skin, between bronze and chesnut, but...Im probably wrong (and who cares, its mine, my own, my Barghast!:blink:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#5 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

Wow!

Welcome back Smiles!

Your Forkrul Assail is still my favourite by miles, despite the lack of extra joints :p

Good to see you back :blink:

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

excellent re-entry there smiles. gotta say i'm liking the way they look, capturing the almost-human, heavier characteristics of the barghast. but also agree that the guy on the right is too clean cut. love the hook-blade though
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for comments :blink: , I also like the one on the left better as a Barghast, and I can almost imagine Imass lurking in the features.

When I was reading through MoI I got the impression that they do look after their kit as Humbral's armour 'glinted in the morning light' (p.459). I had got ready to make it tarnished and old looking but the descriptions made me rethink, they do put a lot of thought into the martial side of their society. I'll mess him up a bit and also think he should be a bit broader.

Suggestion (plus refs) on garb/decoration are welcome! Skin colour wise, think they hide it under paint and tattoos (and grease)!

Hey Malaclypse, working on a new Forkrul. I'll post up wips as I try to figure out how the muscles should work.

#8 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:37 AM

Here's some general information from the wiki which may be of some help :-

Ahkrata Clan

'Distinguished by their characteristic nose-plugs, lone braids and multi-toned armour fashioned from Moranth victims – including Green, Black, Red and, here and there, Gold Clans – they were the smallest contingent, having travelled farthest, yet reputedly the meanest. Avowed enemies of the Ilgres Clan...' (MoI, UK Trade, p.336)

Barahn Clan

'Humbrall Taur’s closest rival was the warchief Maral Eb, whose own Barahn Clan had arrived in strength – over ten thousand weaponbearers, painted in red ochre and wearing bronze brigandine armour, their hair spiked and bristling with porcupine quills.' (MoI, UK Trade, p. 336)

Gilk Clan

'Their hair was cut in stiff, narrow wedges and they wore armour assembled from the plates of some kind of tortoise. Distinctively short and stout for Barghast, they looked to the captain to be a match for any
heavy infantry they might face.' (MoI, UK Trade, p. 336)

White Face Clan
(including: Senan, Gilk, Ahkrata, Barahn, Nith’rithal - MoI, Glossary)

Hetan: 'The clans have never united to wage war, but if they did, the warriors of the White Face would number seventy thousand.' (MoI, UK Trade, p.309)

First Appearance of Hetan, Cafal and Netok:

'The three Barghast were clearly siblings, with the woman the eldest. White paint had been smeared on their faces, giving them a skull-like appearance. Braids stained with red ochre hung down to their shoulders, knotted with bone fetishes. All three wore hauberks of holed coins – the currency ranging from copper to silver...ancient and unfamiliar... Coin-backed gauntlets covered their hands. A guardblock’s worth of weapons accompanied the trio – bundled lances, throwing axes and copper-sheathed long-hafted fighting axes, hookbladed swords and assorted knives and daggers.' (MoI, UK Trade, p.183
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#9 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Hetan, currently rereading DoD to see what else I can glean.

Anybody have any thoughts on how well they would keep their armour and weapons?

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

Woulda been awesome if someone on Lether had mistaken the coin-armored Barghast for an army of Rhulads. Oh well.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users