Malazan Empire: Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? For those who have finished DoD only Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

Seriously,, who is he? He knows Greymane as a friend, stood the stormwall, crawled out from underneath an Azath, Knows Draconus from BEFORE he was pwned by Rake {and will kill Draconus next time he sees him}, is NOT a stormrider despite appearing as one, obvious we haven't come him before.

OOH, i think he's Grizzan Farl. :GA:

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

From the 'no physical body' thing, it very well could be, with SE's track record of stating one thing and writing another. He's still pretty awesome either way.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on Aug 19 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

From the 'no physical body' thing, it very well could be, with SE's track record of stating one thing and writing another. He's still pretty awesome either way.

I know, he is pretty awesome. hmm, i wonder is he dead? i don't think he is, probably encased in ice.

And Greymane Knows this guy. Totally awesome awesomeness!!!

And dear gods, if he's willing to take on Draconus, who was defeated by the only guy who really could, Rake, Then how badass is this guy? i'm gonna go mad waiting for tCG. :The Force:

#4 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have to agree - it was my thought too that he might be GF... and no, I don't think he's dead.

I still think Yeddan Deryg was awesomer :The Force: Ice cold and loyal to the point of... loyalty.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#5 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

View PostHetan, on Aug 19 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

I have to agree - it was my thought too that he might be GF... and no, I don't think he's dead.

I still think Yeddan Deryg was awesomer :The Force: Ice cold and loyal to the point of... loyalty.

Agree, i mean he single handedly took out a FA, then like 4 Liosan, and now i want to know...

What's he gonna do with his shiny new toy?Posted Image

oh, as a P.S. i love u, he also wiped out eh, was it 100 (?) witches and warlocks.

i think we have a new daddy cool in the ranks.

#6 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

View PostChaeone, on Aug 19 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

Seriously,, who is he? He knows Greymane as a friend, stood the stormwall, crawled out from underneath an Azath, Knows Draconus from BEFORE he was pwned by Rake {and will kill Draconus next time he sees him}, is NOT a stormrider despite appearing as one, obvious we haven't come him before.

OOH, i think he's Grizzan Farl. :GA:

That's what I thought as well, but somehow it feels too easy. . .

But it looks as though he is an Elder God, or one of the primal forces of that era.

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#7 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

And from what he said shortly before his "death", Quick is an Elder God - or least an Elder figure of some description - as well.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#8 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

What? I highly doubt QB is Elder. I think he was talking about how long he could hide from the Nah'Ruk.

Not long, apparently.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#9 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Aug 21 2009, 08:15 PM, said:

What? I highly doubt QB is Elder. I think he was talking about how long he could hide from the Nah'Ruk.

Not long, apparently.

I think he was talking bout one of the souls in QB being elder. i mean, there's a lot going on inside this guy.

#10 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

We know who's inside Quick though, and none of them have any stink of being Elder. Besides, who else could it be? There ain't any unnacounted for. I suppose he could chuck in a new one, but I don't see that happening. Although I'll bow down and worship SE if one of his souls turns out to be Grizzin Farl. His corporeal form has apparently been destroyed though, so that's hardly likely.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#11 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Dust of Dreams was so full of winks and nudges about QB and him having to 'come out' that no way is he dead. I am sure we will see him and Sand having a discussion at some point in tCG about his job as Magus of Dark.

Hmmm, you sure we know the who is who of QB's souls? He probably turns out to be the whole world's Granddad or something :)

#12 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Good point, we don't know about 2 of his souls. We can account for 10 of them. Anyway, we're veering off-topic.

I don't think Ruthan Gudd is an Elder. Seems to be too many hoary Elders clawing their way out of the works already. He is obviously an Ascendant of some sort, though I hesitate to ascribe to him Elder status - he would've actually done something if he was, other than get chopped into lizard food. Perhaps he's an Ice god thrust into an Azath by some Jaghut ages past? It would explain the Stormrider connection.

#13 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

Let's just look at his abbilities and achievements

-He has 12 souls (maybe he'll do a Voldy)
-He is soultaken
-He has acces to 12 warrens and KG, he is able to acces 7 simultaneously
-He has a habbit to scheme and get 'shaved knuckles' (still hasn't used Tays)
-He was a High Priest to Shadow
-He has taken down multiple ascendants
-He's a Bridgeburner, meaning he will ascend on death

With all this, I highly doubt he's gone
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#14 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Aug 21 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

Good point, we don't know about 2 of his souls. We can account for 10 of them. Anyway, we're veering off-topic.

I don't think Ruthan Gudd is an Elder. Seems to be too many hoary Elders clawing their way out of the works already. He is obviously an Ascendant of some sort, though I hesitate to ascribe to him Elder status - he would've actually done something if he was, other than get chopped into lizard food. Perhaps he's an Ice god thrust into an Azath by some Jaghut ages past? It would explain the Stormrider connection.

The leader of the Stormriders perhaps?

After all, they were brought through after some epic Jaghut ritual, so that would require the jaghut working together. If he was one of the first, he would be old enough, most likely old enough to know draconus.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#15 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

Imperial High Mage, you keep referring to Tays - I don't want to spoil you for anything, but Tays seems to be pretty much out of play after the events in RotCG.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#16 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

Very much doubt that Ruthan Gudd is actually a Stormrider as when he walks out he thinks 'this Stormrider stuff better work' which suggests that he's not an actual Stormrider himself.

#17 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

View PostThe Dark Wanderer, on Aug 23 2009, 03:29 PM, said:

Very much doubt that Ruthan Gudd is actually a Stormrider as when he walks out he thinks 'this Stormrider stuff better work' which suggests that he's not an actual Stormrider himself.

yeah, also in that sequence or maybe a latter one Gudd feels uncomforatble with wearing the Stormrider "armour". Persumably if he was a "true" Stormrider he'd be used to it.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#18 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

he seems very Korelri based and i actually thought Ipshank that Destriant (ish) of Fener guy who served wih Greymane and 'died'. But hes atleast 200 000 years old as as i can tell talking to draconus before hed been cursed by Kallor so he some sort of ELderish being

#19 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:02 AM

He doesn't have to be an Elderish being. Humans were around back then. He could just be a First Hero.

#20 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

No hes something more than that id think. Surely if he was a Soletaken he would have started veering and that.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users