Malazan Empire: The Hobbit Movie - Malazan Empire

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Hobbit Movie Spoilers for the film and anything to do with LotR and the hobbit

#1 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

It's still a bit of a way off yet although the rumour mill has started as to who is going to play Bilbo...,

<a href="http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/hobbit-casting-news.php" target="_blank">http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/hobbit-casting-news.php</a>

It would appear the initial front runner will be James McAvoy.

Anybody have anything else ?
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#2 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

It might not even happen a all. The Tolkiens are suing over millions of dollars owed for the trilogy, and they are seeking to get the Hobbit shut down. Don't feel like finding sources for this info, google it.
Error: Signature not valid

#3 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:40 AM

Harry Potter is in the running to play Bilbo also

#4 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

even though i like mcavoy i don't think any are good choices for bilbo. for god sakes he's supose to be round! Short and fat with furry feet who is scared of the big things in the world. he's not skinny and pretty like they had frodo be in lord of the rings
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

#5 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

Had a bit of a scoot about on the numerous Hobbit movie blogs and other than the dates being pushed back to 2010,11,12 for both films depending on the site !, everything seems to be going ahead.

There was quite a bit about the Tolkien estate taking New Line to court in June, for the 7.5% those crafty movie bastards promised them from the trilogy, creative accountancy being cited !!! But it appears the legal wranglings may drag on for quite some time, New Line own the rights and the estate benefitted from booksales off the back of the movies....., Arghhh ! legal bastadry will ensue i'm sure, who knows.

Del Toro appears to be getting on with it and has stated that McKellen and Weaving are on board, as Bubba says Harry Potter and also Dr Who, along with The Last King of Scotland, are all in the running for Bagggiiinnnzzzz !
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Dear god not radcliff, I hate him.
Seeing mcavoy as the faun in narnia convinced me he's the man for the role

#7 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Has officially been Greenlit with Peter Jackson directing...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, I will believe it when I begin seeing commercials on the TV.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

Apparently they're looking to film in Scotland since NZ has become a union-ridden problem.

Can't say i'm surpirsed they decided to split this in two. The inherent silliness of the dense LotR books each being one but the relatively light/fluffy HOBBIt split into two books aside, the dollar-grab factor is HUGE.

Any guesses on what point in the story the split happens? I figure the fight with the trolls, only instead of the way the book does it with Bilbo and the dwaves basically thrown in a pile and then oops the trolls overlooked a little thing like a fatal allergy to sunrise, we'll get something considerably less lame. Or it could be the spider-thing...

One way or the other, I admit my inner geek REALLY looks fwd to whatever they do with Smaug. Now THERE was a dragon... :p

- Abyss, trusts all the singing will be omitted again...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

I'm thinking I shall be skipping these movies.

LOTR: the movie trilogy was one thing, but The Hobbit: the movie duology is hitting too close to my childhood, now.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Coming shortly after the release of the Hobbit Movie - a water ride in a theme park somewhere where the riders are sat in apple barrels...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Those of us in the US and Canada refer to that as Niagra Falls, Tiste.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 October 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:

Coming shortly after the release of the Hobbit Movie - a water ride in a theme park somewhere where the riders are sat in apple barrels...

View PostMcLovin, on 18 October 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

Those of us in the US and Canada refer to that as Niagra Falls, Tiste.

And it's AWESOME!

- Abyss, has the t-shirt.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

As long as there is an in-ride photo I'm up for it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

Probably old news to most however Martin Freeman has been confirmed as Bilbo.

Attached File  martin-freeman-bilbo.jpg (34.63K)
Number of downloads: 3

Freeman is a good choice imo as he does bumbling, amiable and incredulous very well (Arthur Dent).
Also confirmed along with Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are Robert Kazinsky, Aidan Turner and Richard Armitage(Lucas North from Spooks). I reckon Armitage will be playing the part of the bowman (Bran ?) who shoots Smaug.

Nice to see this project finally picking up a bit of speed, here'e hoping they don't balls it up.

#16 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

they ARE making a hobbit movie. Sadly, it was postponed due to the fact that it was halfway done filming in New Zealand and England said that since Tolkien is english, they should film it in england. So...as a result, all the filming went to waste and millions of dollars are lost. Originally, the director was gonna be the guy who made Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy, with Peter Jackson as Producer...however, the Hellboy guy gave up, so now Peter Jackson's making the film again...in England. End. Of. Story.

Well, that's what I heard on the news
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#17 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

View PostOsric - Lord of the Sky, on 12 November 2010 - 10:38 PM, said:

they ARE making a hobbit movie. Sadly, it was postponed due to the fact that it was halfway done filming in New Zealand and England said that since Tolkien is english, they should film it in england. So...as a result, all the filming went to waste and millions of dollars are lost.

Dunno where your newspeople got that from. Filming never started. It was and is in advanced preparation but things have been complicated by the rights issue with the now-defunct MGM, who own/ed a share of it. Not really sure where that stands now, but that delay is the reason Del Toro left, to deal with other commitments. So now Peter Jackson is making it, true; but in New Zealand.
Abyss did mention a potential move because of a trade union dispute, but that appears to have been resolved at this point.

Let's face it, England would be a crap location for Middle-Earth settings- it just doesn't have the landscape.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

Filming is set to begin in February, most of the cast is solidified. In Janurary Peter Jackson has slowly but surely been securing the folk he wants from the original LOTR films to reprise their roles, and that includes Serkis, Mckellan and now even Christopher Lee is coming back to play Sauruman. Frodo will have a cameo of course.

...and now they are talking about Orlando Bloom apparently wanting $1 million to do a 2 MINUTE CAMEO as Legolas.....Oh man...Bloom....Jackson fucking MADE you boyo...your only other claim to fame is POTC and only the first one is worth bragging about sir.

I am REALLY excited that Jackson is back on this. He will make it right. Del Toro would have been great...but the tone would have been a bit different (not that I would have minded much, I love Del Toro), and now it will really feel connected to the LOTR flicks.

I'm down with all the new casting so far....Martin Freeman is great! Also, apparently David Tennant is in talks to play Thranduir...Legolas' father and king of Mirkwood....cool..and the Doctor Who crossover continues with 7th Doctor Sylvester MCoy cast as Radagast the Brown (wizard). Very cool!

Anyways, thought I'd pop this one back to the top as it starts filming in NZ soon.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19 User is offline   MWKarsa 

• Midget Toblakai
  • Interests:Reading, Sports, Exercise and all things Texas Longhorn.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

It will be interesting to see how Jackson adapts the script from The Hobbit as it was written much different than LOTR and was intended as a children's book.

I doubt this scene will make it the movie but it would be hilarious to see the troop of dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf climbing up the trees to escape the wolves and finally having Gandalf whizz blue-flamed pinecones down on the wolves to save them before the Eagles come.

Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies should be pretty sweet to see how they are done but I see a ton of changes and added scenes to fill up two complete movies from that story.

It would be a massive undertaking but I'd love to see movies made from The Silmarillion- the battles in that would put the ones in LOTR to shame. Tulkas wrestling Melkor, Fingolfin's one on one fight with Melkor, Huron's stand crying "Aure entuluva!" guarding the Elves retreat after Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the Battle of Sudden Flame and the War of Wrath when the host of Valar came forth. It might be super tough to make films from the story but the battles would be epic and the story is an amazing one.

#20 User is offline   Volkh 

• Evil Ash

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:38 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 January 2011 - 07:30 PM, said:

Filming is set to begin in February, most of the cast is solidified. In Janurary Peter Jackson has slowly but surely been securing the folk he wants from the original LOTR films to reprise their roles, and that includes Serkis, Mckellan and now even Christopher Lee is coming back to play Sauruman. Frodo will have a cameo of course.

...and now they are talking about Orlando Bloom apparently wanting $1 million to do a 2 MINUTE CAMEO as Legolas.....Oh man...Bloom....Jackson fucking MADE you boyo...your only other claim to fame is POTC and only the first one is worth bragging about sir.

I am REALLY excited that Jackson is back on this. He will make it right. Del Toro would have been great...but the tone would have been a bit different (not that I would have minded much, I love Del Toro), and now it will really feel connected to the LOTR flicks.

I'm down with all the new casting so far....Martin Freeman is great! Also, apparently David Tennant is in talks to play Thranduir...Legolas' father and king of Mirkwood....cool..and the Doctor Who crossover continues with 7th Doctor Sylvester MCoy cast as Radagast the Brown (wizard). Very cool!

Anyways, thought I'd pop this one back to the top as it starts filming in NZ soon.

Wow, Legolas is never even mentioned by name in the Hobbit. Now it has been a long long long time since I have read this, please tell me i'm right.
Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users