Malazan Empire: Brandon Sanderson also gets new deal, this one worth $2.5 million - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brandon Sanderson also gets new deal, this one worth $2.5 million KER-CHING!

#41 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jun 26 2009, 09:13 PM, said:

Kelsier was half-insane, so that drives some of his character. Neither Elend or Vin are half-crazy, but come on, when Vin goes bat-shit at the end of 2 you have to be pretty impressed.

I liked Vin, a lot, I even liked Elend after he stopped being such a pussy. I just really, really like Kelsier.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#42 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

Vin's insecurity got a little irritating after a while, it was nice when she eventually got badass. I thought the fact that you couldn't trust Kelsier added to the book, especially when you look at his motives and the way things ended.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#43 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

It's funny, Sanderson, in his annotations for each book, always says how Sazed was his favorite character because of Sazed's religious issues and whatnot. I actually thought that Sazed was the weakest character in the books. Even
Spoiler
was more interesting. Sazed was pretty much used as the Feruchemy mule and 'wise' character fantasy trope.

#44 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

View PostTarcanus, on Jun 29 2009, 10:53 AM, said:

It's funny, Sanderson, in his annotations for each book, always says how Sazed was his favorite character because of Sazed's religious issues and whatnot. I actually thought that Sazed was the weakest character in the books. Even
Spoiler
was more interesting. Sazed was pretty much used as the Feruchemy mule and 'wise' character fantasy trope.

Yeah, Sazed fell flat for me. And maybe that's why, even though I could see the series was well-written and I liked his magic system, the 2nd and 3rd books didn't work for me.

#45 User is offline   Telorast Mad 

• Recruit

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:09 AM

I see most opinions of Sanderson's work are based on the Mistborn trilogy and Elantris, but no mention of Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians? I know it's a children's series, but since we're assessing his evolution as a writer I think it's important to bring it up.

For example, It's clear in the Mistborn books that he can't handle quite as many characters as say, Mercedes Lackey (she got me into the genre, I've yet to catch up to everything you guys are reading - believe me, I'm taking notes), so there are less main characters/personalities in Avs.TEL.

However one of his strong points is messing with the reader's head (his organization in magic is really good, you have to admit) and there is plenty of that mixed in with good humor :D

Another improvement in his development as a writer I noted is the fact that where he stalled with The Well of Ascention before finally getting to the important info in The Hero of Ages, he seems to be playing it by ear more so as to deliver something with each installment in the Alcatraz series. Of course I can't say that 100% seeing as he's planning on two more books or so.
"I try to avoid having thoughts. They lead to other thoughts, and - if you're not careful - those lead to actions. Actions make you tired. I have this on rather good authority from someone who once read it in a book." -Lightsong, Warbreaker by: Brandon Sanderson

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users