Malazan Empire: Reading the books in order... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading the books in order... Anyone done it?

#1 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey, I know trying to figure out the timeline of this series is pretty much mind-numbing and frustrating, but I also know some people have spent a lot of time trying to do so. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to read the series chronologically? You would hafta put most of the prologues together, then figure out MT and NoK and such, but I think it might be kind of interesting. I thought of this because I was watching Pulp Fiction the other day and for years I've always thought the coolest DVD extra ever for that, or any Quentin Tarantino film, would be having the option to watch the movie chronologically and seeing if it would be at all interesting that way.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:09 AM

Try looking through some of the other reading order threads. I know people have tried to string it properly together... It gets complicated, trust me.

Or alternatively take a look at dreks signature, you can see a time line for the events and string an idea together yourself.

#3 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

View PostAptorian, on May 23 2009, 12:09 AM, said:

Try looking through some of the other reading order threads. I know people have tried to string it properly together... It gets complicated, trust me.

Or alternatively take a look at dreks signature, you can see a time line for the events and string an idea together yourself.

Yea I wasn't asking for the recommended reading order (I've actually done that already lol) I was just curious if anyone in their many re-reads had read the books completely according to the timeline (such as it is). Mainly I was bored and thinking of Pulp Fiction when I made this thread.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

I tried to do it in order once (not the prologues though), including Karsa's bit. It was an interesting read, but a little jarring.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

I imagine such a read would be most effective once the series(es) are completed. It could be interesting, but I think you'd lose much of the narrative impact of the individual books.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Ignore the Timeline. The Timeline does not matter.

(had to say that before someone else does) :)

#7 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Seems like an impossible task as well.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

D'rek has the timeline figured out, and I've seen him post it before, but I don't know what thread it was in.

#9 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

I don't think he has the whole timeline figured out - there are just too many variables to do that. He has made sense of a massive amount of it, though. I think there's a link to the most recently updated one in his sig.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on Jun 1 2009, 07:58 AM, said:

D'rek has the timeline figured out, and I've seen him post it before, but I don't know what thread it was in.

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Jun 1 2009, 08:02 AM, said:

I don't think he has the whole timeline figured out - there are just too many variables to do that. He has made sense of a massive amount of it, though. I think there's a link to the most recently updated one in his sig.

I Am Summoned!!!

Yeah, I cart the timeline around in my sig. It's a work-in-progress and generally the most recently updated one is actually about 5-10 versions behind where I'm actually at... I only upload new versions when there's been significant progress since the last uploaded version and I'm pretty happy with everything that I've got down.

If you're talking about me outlining the entire chronological reading order of the series, then that is here.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 01 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users