Ye Big Movie thread

#8221 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostMacros, on 18 August 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

just watched fast 7.

I feel stupider than I did 2 hours ago.

The only thing done well in this film was the goodbye to Paul Walker at the end.

Every fight, every chase, every sequence was just fucking stupid. not ott fun silly, just stupid. no one takes an 1 1/2 wrench to the head and shakes it off to go toe to toe again.
you do not get face smashed into pillars hard enough to shatter the facing and not be bust into shite, and shake it off to go toe to toe again.
stathams ending. bah

You hadn't figured out the pattern after the first six?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8222 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

The first six were silly fun (albeit progressively more silly and less fun culminating with the 50 mile runway, and well drift just sucked).
But seven just went full retard.
You never go full retard

#8223 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

tonights hotel viewing was John Wick.

A thoroughly enjoyable action film.

#8224 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 August 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

tonights hotel viewing was John Wick.

A thoroughly enjoyable action film.

Whose casting director is clearly an HBO addict
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#8225 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

the last hbo show I watched was entourage so... dont know.

I recognised the big names obviously, keanu, defeo, mcshane. outside of that, russians right hand man is the vulture from brooklyn 99, the wife is the wife from lord of war and the assassin lady is tyra from friday night lights.

#8226 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

Went to the cinema to see the latest Star Trek film.

Better than 2. Still think the first one is the best of the three.

#8227 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 August 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'm going to have to rewatch the first one before I can make a judgement of that. I'll be right back.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8228 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 20 August 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 20 August 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'm going to have to rewatch the first one before I can make a judgement of that. I'll be right back.

Hmmm, I'm not sure which one I like best.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8229 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

well Ive only seen them all once.

Maybe Im rose tinting the first one. I just remember being really impressed with the first one.

#8230 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:44 AM

Am I late on this? They made a movie about the Deepwater Horizon oil rig disaster and turned it into a heroic action/survival movie?! WTH is wrong with Mark Wahlberg? His brain is seriously made of scrambled garbage or something, and apparently he isn't the only one. I seriously cannot believe THIS is the movie they decided to make about this incident.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8231 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:28 AM

Yah it should be, and there's hella blame to go around. And I don't think "humanizing" the events on the rig is inherently wrong, but as the first (and therefore ONLY) movie on the subject? And soooooooooo clearly and cynically Hollywoodized. It's just so gross to me.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8232 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

If you ever go to the Ross Perot Museum in Dallas (I do not recommend this), careful examination of the museum's exhibits and overall tone will reveal that it's a giant propaganda machine aimed at convincing young children and their parents that oil drilling in all kinds of places is cool and should be done. Even the dinosaur and animal exhibits wind themselves around this central pillar of belief.

I'm also mad I couldn't go to the much better museum across the way because they close on Mondays.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8233 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

Jesus christ.
That's like someone decided to make a blockbuster about piper alpha, back in the 80s.

#8234 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

Going to see Suicide Squad in a few hours

#8235 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

hmmm.

It was ok. I won't stretch further than that, entertaining at points but I had zero emotional engagement with any of the characters.
anyone that died - didn't really care.
anyone that survived - didn't really care.

This movies biggest flaw was something I thought would be a problem when I heard the casting. Will Smith.
I like Smith, he's a good actor, been in some great shows and turned in some brilliant performances, but putting him as the lead of a bunch of misfits was always going to have him being the "good" guy. He will not take a role that is properly BAD, or dark. sure he's an assassin. Never killed women or children, the one hit they show in his introduction was clearly (in my eyes) a hit for the mafia, but on a mafia tout, so its a bad guy that's turning evidence.
It was apparent in nearly every scene this film was geared to be a will smith vehicle, the team moves out, he might not be running point, but he's center screen. He's the one giving orders (in the sense that any of the squad is) and is supposed to be the moral grounding that brings them all together.
The problem with it all is that it feels off, Diable would have been a much better preacher and moral center, let Deadshot lead.
Margot Robbie saved this film from being total shit, she was excellent and portrayed a mentally damaged Harley Quinn wonderfully.
The plot has holes you can drive a bus through.
I think the writers really fluffed a great chance here by pandering to the will smith archetype, was it will's desire to be not so bad or just their feeling that will smith is never bad and so they couldnt let him be? i don't know, but centering this on Deadshot and having him played by smith was a mistake.

i can't decide on how many stars to give this, it didn't drag by, not by any means, but outside of a few quips here and there, Harley Quinn stole the show and this highlighted how poor the rest of the characters development was, the plot fell flat for me, I was entertained in places but its already fading from my memory, can't see me ever having the desire to rewatch

#8236 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Just saw Sir Ian McKellen in 'Mr. Holmes'. Very good. 8.5 slowly declining detectives out of 10.

Damn, he's awesome. They could make a movie which was just about him looking at a blank wall for 2 hours and it would be better than most of the dross out there.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8237 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

Watched THE HUNTSMAN: WINTER'S WAR, and was pleasantly surprised. An entertaining sequel (note: I enjoyed the first film, Stewart and all) that ups the game a bit, while never fully being able to embrace its fairytale world enough.

Theron is in it MINIMALLY.

But yeah, quite enjoyed!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8238 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 August 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

I liked 1st also quite a lot. Waiting for 2 on HBO etc. really hoping Stewart can get back and finish that up.

They come up with a decent in-story reason for her absence that ties into the events of the movie itself.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8239 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

View PostBriar King, on 28 August 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

Oh really? I thought it was a prequel

It is both a prequel and a sequel. There is a portion that takes place before the first film and a portion that takes place after.

#8240 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 August 2016 - 03:06 AM, said:

No shit? Does it come across as a final thing for her to be out or open to return maybe? You can spoiler it for other people but idc if you don't.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users