• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#8081 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:42 AM

The Nice Guys is a much more accessible Inherent Vice - and that's not a bad thing even if Inherent Vice is a masterpiece.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8082 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

View Postchamp, on 24 May 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

I don't want to watch that for spoilers - a 5 minute long trailer is nuts and it seems inevitable for major spoilers.

Please correct me if I am wrong and it turns out to be worth the watch.

View PostMacros, on 24 May 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

same same
not watching will ruin film.

What would have wrong with just Goldblum and pullman having a talk about how the aliens were coming back. How unprepared they were to handle another such invasion. and show us a few splosions.

Can a repeat Independence Day really be spoiled? We all know what the plot will be without looking. Humans will get a twatting and then we'll come through at the end :(
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8083 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 May 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Can a repeat Independence Day really be spoiled? We all know what the plot will be without looking. Humans will get a twatting and then we'll come through at the end :(

oh geez way to ruin it for the rest of us!

...you'd have thought the dumbass aliens would have upgraded their virus protection by now....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8084 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 May 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 May 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

oh geez way to ruin it for the rest of us!

...you'd have thought the dumbass aliens would have upgraded their virus protection by now....

Well, y'know, they're using a trial version of McAfee...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8085 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:20 AM

Just watched Deadpool.

Apart from the humour and the meta elements and Colossus, what I absolutely loved about the film was the relationship. Vanessa is so... real? Concrete? I think this is the best relationship I have seen in any superhero movie.

The script was excellent.

"Which Professor X? Steward or Macavoy? These timelines can be confusing" Gold

Just nonchalantly sawing of his arm.

And I loved peaceful Colossus with his Russian accent. He is so sweet.

Also Deadpool killing people made sense. What he said at the end, that the villain is a psycho makes sense. I think this is my favourite superhero movie after Avengers.

#8086 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:55 AM

I saw it over the weekend too. Pleasantly surprised, since RR generally grates on me, but he genuinely channeled his obnoxiousness in the right way here. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was consistently entertaining, not overlong, and I thought the low stakes were actually refreshing for a superhero movie. I think in just about every way it could have been overstuffed, it avoided those pitfalls. And blessing of all blessings, the villain wasn't a robot or a guy in a robot suit.

Also saw Ant-Man. It was pretty boilerplate Marvel, and I'd stick it in the middle of the pack.

Also saw Sisters, w/ Fey and Poehler. I was expecting a Apatow-style dramedy along the lines of Trainwreck, but it was mostly a party movie w/ some family drama stuff at the very bookends. It didn't bore me but it was disappointing, especially next to Baby Mama.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8087 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

Watched the Ed Helms Vacation reboot and it was one of the most joyless, laughless comedies I've seen in a long while. I'm not sure how many of the things that are supposed to be funny even qualify as jokes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8088 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:22 AM

Keanu is so much better than expected. Filled with exuberance, love of movies and pop culture, and a great team in Key and Peele. Key's exaggerated body language in particular has gotten very good at being expressive without being distracting or annoying.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8089 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

Watched Warcraft yesterday. First, I've never played any Warcraft game, other than Hearthstone. That having been said, I thought it was a mostly enjoyable romp, and I don't feel the critical mauling it's getting is deserved. Is it a classic? No, of course not. But neither is it awful in any way. Lovely cinematography, great score, mostly decent acting (interestingly, it's the humans who let the side down somewhat in terms of expressive acting), and a plot in which, overall, the good outweighed the bad. Yeah, it's full-on nailed-to-the-mast high fantasy. You have to go with it, or you won't like it.

It did have the feel of being essentially a prequel in some ways, and that hurt it somewhat. In a sort of, "Guys, we've got some amazing stories to tell with this lore, really cool stuff, but first we've got to do this groundwork so that other stuff can make any sort of sense," way. There were perhaps a few too many things going on (some five or six main characters), but it actually impressed me with how it, for the most part, managed to give each enough screen time to properly build up their characterisation (Ben Foster's Medivh was probably the weak link here).

The angle the film took, giving equal weight and time to people on both sides of the conflict, was the highlight for me. Made for a really surprisingly deep, complex, and sombre ending to the film. Durotan, Ogrim, Gul'dan, Garona (basically, the orcs as a whole!) were the best parts for me (despite their ridiculously large hands).
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#8090 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 02 June 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Watched Warcraft yesterday. First, I've never played any Warcraft game, other than Hearthstone. That having been said, I thought it was a mostly enjoyable romp, and I don't feel the critical mauling it's getting is deserved. Is it a classic? No, of course not. But neither is it awful in any way. Lovely cinematography, great score, mostly decent acting (interestingly, it's the humans who let the side down somewhat in terms of expressive acting), and a plot in which, overall, the good outweighed the bad. Yeah, it's full-on nailed-to-the-mast high fantasy. You have to go with it, or you won't like it.

It did have the feel of being essentially a prequel in some ways, and that hurt it somewhat. In a sort of, "Guys, we've got some amazing stories to tell with this lore, really cool stuff, but first we've got to do this groundwork so that other stuff can make any sort of sense," way. There were perhaps a few too many things going on (some five or six main characters), but it actually impressed me with how it, for the most part, managed to give each enough screen time to properly build up their characterisation (Ben Foster's Medivh was probably the weak link here).

The angle the film took, giving equal weight and time to people on both sides of the conflict, was the highlight for me. Made for a really surprisingly deep, complex, and sombre ending to the film. Durotan, Ogrim, Gul'dan, Garona (basically, the orcs as a whole!) were the best parts for me (despite their ridiculously large hands).

Good to hear. I do want to see it...and I have a similar lack of knowledge of the source material.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8091 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 June 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 02 June 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Good to hear. I do want to see it...and I have a similar lack of knowledge of the source material.

Same.
Zero time on the game but this is an animated movie that has humans and orcs hitting each other with stabby things so on principle i need to at least make the attempt.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8092 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Watching Cloud Atlas again. Cos it's incredible.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8093 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

Just watched 2 films.
The simon Pegg comedy Absolutely Anything.
Watchable, nothing special but entertaining.

And BMS The Rose of Thadland.
If you did not like BMS the tv show, you will not like the film. Think Varsity blues meets American pie meets an awful lot of stupid frat comedies, and boobs.
Basically my guilty pleasure in films and tv, I cant help but be entertained by that shit, whilst being aware it is shit.
If you, like me, enjoyed the mindless stupidity of BMS then jump on netflix and catch the movie, its like a long episode, maybe a 2 episode arc. A bit too much OTT Thad but it follows the usual formula. There's one or two scenes which made me absolutely bust out laughing. Notably he balloon 3 some scene (likely inspired by an oscar nominated performance to be honest)

Again, if you don't like stupid fratty films, don't watch. If you do, catch the 3 seasons of the tv show first.

#8094 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:09 AM

View PostMacros, on 04 June 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

Just watched 2 films.
The simon Pegg comedy Absolutely Anything.
Watchable, nothing special but entertaining.

And BMS The Rose of Thadland.
If you did not like BMS the tv show, you will not like the film. Think Varsity blues meets American pie meets an awful lot of stupid frat comedies, and boobs.
Basically my guilty pleasure in films and tv, I cant help but be entertained by that shit, whilst being aware it is shit.
If you, like me, enjoyed the mindless stupidity of BMS then jump on netflix and catch the movie, its like a long episode, maybe a 2 episode arc. A bit too much OTT Thad but it follows the usual formula. There's one or two scenes which made me absolutely bust out laughing. Notably he balloon 3 some scene (likely inspired by an oscar nominated performance to be honest)

Again, if you don't like stupid fratty films, don't watch. If you do, catch the 3 seasons of the tv show first.

Good to know, I loved BMS, but was afraid this would be awful so its been chilling in my waiting list.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8095 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Finally got around to watching NOW YOU SEE ME, and thought it was fantastic! Just a great, well constructed thriller. Can't wait to see the sequel now!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8096 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

Finally saw THE GOOD DINOSAUR. Probably the weakest of the Pixar movies I've seen, but still very good. Didn't care for the T-Rex's being like Texan ranchers, or the velociraptors being southern yokels...both of which seemed incongruous in a movie where the rest of the animals don't have discernible accents being put on. It's also a pretty overly simplistic story...I mean the moment they have the rest of the family putting their mark on the silo and Arlo not able to...and then he gets lost...I know what wee are headed towards. All the sad parts were suitably sad and both my wife and I shed tears. A good movie, if not a great one.

#8097 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Sean Astin talks Goonies sequel.

http://www.ora.tv/po...-0_3d36hd3uhxfm

I can only say, please dont.

Leave this childhood perfection alone. I give you a 3.7% chance of you making something that adds to the Goonies in a meaningful way and isnt just a garbage cashgrab.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8098 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 08 June 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Leave this childhood perfection alone. I give you a 3.7% chance of you making something that adds to the Goonies in a meaningful way and isnt just a garbage cashgrab.

Also, I've seen proof that GOONIES doesn't fly with anyone who MISSED it as a child and watched it the first time as adults. Those who did that I find really don't like it. It's definitely a thing of its time, and should be left alone. I honestly don't even know what a long sequel would look like storywise...I mean yeah you could have the old cast as adults passing the torch to new Goonies...but it would never be the same. There isn't much more storytelling to be had in the goondocks...unless there is some other connected town mystery...which would seem contrived.

#8099 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 08 June 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yeah, no, please don't do that, not ever!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8100 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

I don't really follow any hype or build up, bit just heard Suicide squad is being rated PG?
I thought they would be angling for a 15 for sure.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users