• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7441 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

Finally showed the kids THE PHANTOM MENACE. They loved it. It's grown on me over the years, at least I don't hate it anymore.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#7442 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

I read that Lucas was absolutely convinced that Jar Jar Binks would be the heart of the new trilogy's success.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7443 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

It's on the DVD special features I believe. I saw it on the Plinkett review, he mentions Jar Jar as being 'the key to everything.'
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#7444 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

I remember waiting in line all day in our college town (it was the last day of finals) to see the midnight showing of TPM. I remember enjoying it, but being only mildly disappointed. I was excited for EpII, though, because of the way TPM ended: young Anakin will be trained by the Jedi who just struck down his Sith foe in anger! They'll totally build on that, right?

EpII was also okay, but the romance was ridiculous, as were the dialogue and delivery. But wait, the Clone Wars are actually about secret Good Guy Clones versus battle droids? WTF.

EpIII was marginally better, but still had all the same romance/dialogue/delivery problems as EpII. And everything Worry said upthread about the Palpatine reveal is spot on.

I'm not sure I've actually watched any of the prequels since seeing them in the theater. And even as a kid I thought the original SW was kind of cheesy; Empire was good, and Jedi was my fave. Empire's probably the only one I've watched in the past 15 years...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7445 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Watched the new Mad Max last night. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun in a cinema! The movie started great, I was enjoying myself, and then you had the war party leaving the citadel, and you got the zoom over the drum wagon to the front. That's when I knew this was something special :headbang:
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7446 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

Am at the cinema about to watch Pitch Perfect 2! So excited!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7447 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

Oh MAN that was even funnier than the first! Seriously great film!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7448 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

On our flight home they updated the movies, so I got to finally watch two films I'd been waiting a whie to watch...

JUPITER ASCENDING: I went in and gave this the benefit of the doubt, and accepted I was probably going to be watching a cheesy serial space fantasy...and it was...but they chose very poorly for their leads, neither Mila Kunis nor Charming Potato had the chemistry or presence required to carry the inherantly silly dialogue in such a film. You need to be Harrison Ford delivering these lines to pull them off...but Kunis and Tatum walk the role dumbly and I never connected...not to mention their entire lack of sexual chemistry. The first time Jupiter expresses to Kane (Caine?) that she is into him and she knows he's into her but won't do much about it...I was like "What? When did this romance blossom? Did I miss it?" Basically the structure of the space opera, part Dune (family dynasties and corporations running the universe with a product), part Matrix/Cloud Atlas...but man it fails miserbaly in the entertainment dept.

TMNT: Oh man, I made it to the 25 minute mark...25 minutes of the WORST script I think I've heard in a long long time. The action could not even save this turd.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7449 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

TMNT was fantastic. I think it was a perfect adaption of 80s Ninja Turtles for an audience that are 15-25.

The big bads evil plan was stupid but I really enjoyed the relationship between the turtles.

#7450 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Astonishing that 2 posts in a single page can prove Apt is a lunatic.

Anyways, recent (ish) watches for me:

Avengers 2 - good, but not as good as the first.
Fast 7 - terrible movie (apart from a brief scene where Kurt Russel kicks ass - seriously, why was he never in Expendables?), but with a quite moving epilogue..... I'll still probably go see 8, as there's a promise of more Russel.
meh. Link was dead :(

#7451 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

I'm not going to lie, the fact that INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 is ACTUALLY happening, is REALLY exciting for me. I love the first film.

First photo from the set is a Goldblum selfie. Woot Woot!

I'm kind of hoping this brings Devlin and Emmerich back to their STARGATE, ID4 heyday!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7452 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

Mad Max: Fury Road. Surprisingly good. Sets a new standard for action films in my view.

#7453 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 May 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

ID2 shoulda been made in the 90's. I craved a second so much. At the time ID looked so glorious on the big screen.

Yeah man. And Pullman's Presidential speech still gives me chills to this day.

#7454 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

I've always hated that speech for partially stealing from but totally ruining 'Do Not Go Gentle'.

Mind you, even setting that aside I've never been that convinced by it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7455 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

It's one of those jerking off with the American flag moments the 90s loved.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7456 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

Just watched Ex Machina about a week ago, and I'm still thinking about it. Thought it was a very well done movie, cleverly acted, cleverly plotted, cleverly written. I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind thinking a little when they're watching a movie!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#7457 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 24 May 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Avengers 2 - good, but not as good as the first.

Dunno if I agree with you on this one - I thought it was phenomenal. I thought Ultron was suitably creepy, and the undercurrent of crazy robot throughout was just great!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#7458 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 May 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Not surprising. It was geared more for us.

That might be part of it, but one of my favourite fictional speeches of all time is totally YEAH AMERICA so it's not just that...

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 27 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

#7459 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 May 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 27 May 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Not surprising. It was geared more for us.

That might be part of it, but one of my favourite fictional speeches of all time is totally YEAH AMERICA so it's not just that...

I dunno, there is just something about that speech for me, whether it cribbed from Do Not Go Gentle or not. But then I'm just a sucker for rousing speeches in movies.

And I'm not even American. I just think the delivery was great. You don't often see those kind of speeches in real life by politicians.

Second fave rousing speech in a movie, is a British one.

#7460 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

To the surprise of probably no-one, I don't like that speech either. :) Although at least this one is funny.

My taste in epic inspirational speeches tends more towards this or this or this though I don't watch enough sports films and I'm sure I'd have a few more 'real life' ones if I did.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users