• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7381 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostApt, on 01 May 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

What makes RED fun to me is the fact that it's a comic book story and that is how it plays out.

Which is odd because the comic it's based on has very, very little to do in tone or content with the films.

You should watch The Losers- it's also literally a comic book story (and much closer to its inspiration than RED, though it still deviates). Also an incredibly cool cast (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana, Idris motherfucking Elba and of course Chris Evans stealing the show).

And yeah, I agree, The Expendables isn't very good, but the similarities in all four films is that they're an elite, secret team of operatives that get betrayed by their commanders and have to fend for themselves etc etc. I should perhaps have said premise rather than plot, but yeah.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7382 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

View Postworry, on 27 April 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

Watched The Guest, an action thriller from the same dude who made You're Next. Not quite as good, but still entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny at the weirdest moments. Also watched The Woman In Black. Great setting/mood, and an intriguing first half hour, but that's about it. The mystery disappears SO early in the story, and about 90% of the scares are performed for the camera and internally meaningless.

I really liked The Guest. Plus, the soundtrack was kick ass.
No Touchy.

#7383 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:42 AM

Avengers was good fun. Quite enjoyed it. Nothing fantastic, but nothing bad (IMO), great popcorn flick.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7384 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

AVENGERS: AoU was a solid 2 1/2 hours of entertainment. Really quite enjoyed. That said, it comes in about 4th place for me in the MCU behind GotG, CAP2, and the first AVENGERS. But yeah lots to like, lots of worldbuilding and especially...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7385 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Also watched Age of Ultron yesterday.

Great film.

What I didn't get is IMAX. They recently opened an IMAX in my cinema and we thought hey, that's probably worth paying a bit extra for. Hell. Fucking. No. Admittedly I don't go to the cinema that often but I really could not tell you the difference between IMAX and none IMAX. It's just regular 3D and regular loud sounds and bass. Pfft.

#7386 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

Isn't an IMAX screen just a bigger screen? Our Imax is about four times the size of the regular one.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#7387 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

That might actually be it. The IMAX theater replaced the old big one and it did seem bigger. Still, it cost like 8 dollars extra and according to the, admitted quite cool, 5 minute count down window, it's supposed to be the best image quality and sound quality you can get.

This post has been edited by Apt: 03 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

#7388 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

It's good advertising but it's mostly that- unless a film's been filmed specifically in IMAX it's really just a bigger screen and I suppose better speaker arrangement. And no Hollywood film is filmed entirely in IMAX, although parts of some are, like most of Nolan's more recent ones (Interstellar had 66 minutes, and I got to see it in IMAX non-3D, which was pleasing).

I go to IMAX quite a lot, though, because the cinema I go doesn't do a lot of blockbusters in 2D and I tolerate 3fuckingD a lot better in IMAX, and it does make a difference when I go back to a regular screen, mostly because the screens look fucking tiny.

#7389 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

That reminds me.

Before Avengers came on there was a 7 minute clip from Wonderland Tomorrowland. I'd heard absolutely nothing about this film but it looks really good. It's some kind of Disney film with George Clooney and a bunch of crazy robot people.

Just based on that clip alone I really want to watch that film. It had a ridiculously tight pace.

This post has been edited by Apt: 03 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

#7390 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostApt, on 03 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

That reminds me.

Before Avangers came on there was a 7 minute clip from Wonderland. I'd heard absolutely nothing about this film but it looks really good. It's some kind of Disney film with George Clooney and a bunch of crazy robot people.

Just based on that clip alone I really want to watch that film. It had a ridiculously tight pace.

Tomorrowland?

Looks like a time-travel thingy to me.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7391 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

Yes, Tomorrowland.

I was reminded of Neverland from Peter Pan. Some kid who wants to go to some other world. But there weren't anything particular that suggests that the universe it takes place in.

Looked really fun though. I loved that scene where the kid went to town on a bad guy with a baseball bat.

#7392 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 03 May 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

It's good advertising but it's mostly that- unless a film's been filmed specifically in IMAX it's really just a bigger screen and I suppose better speaker arrangement. And no Hollywood film is filmed entirely in IMAX, although parts of some are, like most of Nolan's more recent ones (Interstellar had 66 minutes, and I got to see it in IMAX non-3D, which was pleasing).

I go to IMAX quite a lot, though, because the cinema I go doesn't do a lot of blockbusters in 2D and I tolerate 3fuckingD a lot better in IMAX, and it does make a difference when I go back to a regular screen, mostly because the screens look fucking tiny.

I'd like to note (since it was designed in Canada) that there ARE films done completely in IMAX, but they are mostly 45-60 minute documentary style. They used to show them at the Cinesphere in Toronto where the first IMAX projectors first ran.

You can tell the difference between IMAX footage and regular footage by the fact that on a Letterboxed bluray (THE DARK KNIGHT for exmaple) jumps open top to bottom and the black bars disappear because that's how wide and tall an IMAX camera shoots. That said, it's horrifically expensive to do, and setups for it are tough...IMAX theatres these days are just what PG said, running bigger screens (but if the films are shot normally, it's still shown at that aspect ration), and sound differences. Otherwise yeah it's a waste of cash.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 03 May 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 03 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

That reminds me.

Before Avangers came on there was a 7 minute clip from Wonderland. I'd heard absolutely nothing about this film but it looks really good. It's some kind of Disney film with George Clooney and a bunch of crazy robot people.

Tomorrowland?

Looks like a time-travel thingy to me.

It's based kind of around the Tomorrowland section of Disneyworld in Florida...and the reason you should see it will be because it's done by Brad Bird...and he dleivers QUALITY films.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7393 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

The wife had never seen THE TRUMAN SHOW, so we watched that today. I still love that film and it still holds up incredibly well. And I still think it's Jim Carrey's finest drama perfromance...cause he gets to ride the line between his manic comedy and goofy grin...and more dramatic character work.

#7394 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'd like to note (since it was designed in Canada) that there ARE films done completely in IMAX, but they are mostly 45-60 minute documentary style. They used to show them at the Cinesphere in Toronto where the first IMAX projectors first ran.

Thass why I said 'Hollywood'. :)

#7395 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

The wife had never seen THE TRUMAN SHOW, so we watched that today. I still love that film and it still holds up incredibly well. And I still think it's Jim Carrey's finest drama perfromance...cause he gets to ride the line between his manic comedy and goofy grin...and more dramatic character work.

Man I want to see that film again!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7396 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

If you haven't been to a Disney park, "Tomorrowland" is one of several theme regions they're divided into (eg Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland). Tomorrowland is a combo of what we'd now call retro-futurism and, due to updates over the years, somewhat more modern sci-fi. Anyway, it looks like the movie has not much to do with that aside from the broad theme, but there's also a weird creepy Bioshock-y underground campaign with this movie: http://www.stopplusultra.com/

I suppose that, and of course Brad Bird's involvement, means it's going to be something more than your average kids movie.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7397 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

Watched AVENGERS on Bluray to prep for AGE OF ULTRON today. Woot!

EDIT - or not...

This post has been edited by McLovin: 04 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#7398 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

I just rewatched The Dark Knight Rises. I haven't watched this film since it came out in the cinemas.

I didn't like the film when it came out and I think I dislike the film even more now. That manuscript is a mess. So many illogical decisions. The movie never manages to suspend my disbelief.

I think the only way this story would have worked would have been to split in two and have a fall and rise. As it is, none of it comes of terrible convincing.

#7399 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

It's in large part due to Frank Miller. I'm researching a large article on the illogical and toxic asshole in my spare time right now.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7400 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

I know TDKR is partly based on The Dark Knight Returns, but, even if you dislike that story (which I don't - Miller's an arse sure but he used to write really good stuff and this was perhaps the best of it), I can't really see how any of the problems in TDKR can be attributed to Miller.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users