• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6981 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

I don't see what you're all moaning about Jesus spoke ye olde English so therefore must be white.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6982 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 November 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I like most Ridley Scott films prior to and including GLADIATOR...but jeebus he's saying some cringe-worthy and racist and elitist shit these days.

http://variety.com/2...ale-1201363668/

TL;DR

Like most high-profile religious pictures since Martin Scorsese’s 1988 “The Last Temptation of Christ,” “Exodus” became the subject of intense media scrutiny before Scott had ever exposed a frame of (digital) film on stages at London’s Pinewood Studios and on location in Spain. Much of the outcry online stemmed from his decision to cast white American, European and Australian actors in most of the key roles, no matter that the same could be said of “The Passion of the Christ,” “Noah,” “The Ten Commandments” and virtually any other big-budget Bible movies. “I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such,” Scott says. “I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.”

I mean YIKES.

While the phrasing isn't great, and shows signs of at best a massive obliviousness, I'm not sure it's actually racism - and tbh he's probably got a point if you look at what he said past how he said it. You need big stars to get big budgets, and as we discussed recently, there aren't that many big stars who aren't white. Let alone not American.

Though it's kind of a shame from Ridley Scott who in Kingdom of Heaven did manage to find a middle-Eastern actor for a Middle-Eastern role, and he was excellent (Ghassan Massoud as Saladin). Yeah, that wasn't as big a role, but then Bale should be big enough to carry the star on his own, if anything it's a perfect opportunity to introduce a new actor and it just seems like Ridley got lazy.

Maybe I'm desensitised because I follow a sport in which recently, this happened. Now that's racism.

In case anyone is curious, Whelan was making those comments in order to defend his decision to hire a manager who was not very long ago involved in this scandal. So, you know...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6983 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

That's the beauty of racism. It comes in so many different shapes and sizes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6984 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

Finally got around to watching Interstellar.

Pros:

Started off alright
The robots were awesome
It looked pretty

Cons:

Murph is a stupid petulant idiot baby and remains a stupid petulant idiot baby right up til she's 33, though adult Other Kid is also hella dumb
Beard Guy's stupid death by taking more than double the time it'd take to get into the ship staring at the wave was really, really, empathy-destroyingly stupid
The stupid love speech by Space Anne Hathaway was the beginning of the end of my enjoyment of the movie
While he was alright in it I'm not sure what Matt Damon brought to his role at all
What the fucking fuck was up with the sound in this, I could barely hear a fucking thing over the soundtrack and if I ever watch this again I'm going to need subtitles
No seriously, the Matt Damon noise (you know which noise) literally hurt my ear and my girlfriend's ears, and I missed tons of dialogue - the part of the movie you should be able to actually listen to! - due to some stupid noise over the top
Oh hey bro I know I just burnt all that food you needed in order to survive and tried to kidnap your family so they didn't die of Great Depression lung but my watch is talking in morse code, hug me
The ending would have been totally better if Coop died in the hole and Edmonds lived on his Nevada planet with Space Anne Hathaway

Verdict:

3 burst ear drums out of 10
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6985 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

I am so fucken terrified of Blade Runner 2
No Touchy.

#6986 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:46 AM

View PostSombra, on 26 November 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 November 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

For the Jurassic World hybrid thing, there's not much need for suspense, as it's clearly a raptor/rex cross.

Gah! WTF were they thinking? Haven't they seen the previous 3 movies? ;)

Do you think the dominant moral of the story is going to be the semi-religious "we shouldn't attempt to play God", or the more humanist "just because we can do something doesn't mean we should"?

Actually, which of those is more prevalent through the entire series? Then it makes me wonder about the original Crichton book ... :unsure:

I'm just pissed that they left out Jeff Goldblum. The best sarcastic comedy relief of all those films..and clearly a racist move.

#6987 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 November 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

Finally got around to watching Interstellar.

Pros:

Started off alright
The robots were awesome
It looked pretty

Cons:

Murph is a stupid petulant idiot baby and remains a stupid petulant idiot baby right up til she's 33, though adult Other Kid is also hella dumb
Beard Guy's stupid death by taking more than double the time it'd take to get into the ship staring at the wave was really, really, empathy-destroyingly stupid
The stupid love speech by Space Anne Hathaway was the beginning of the end of my enjoyment of the movie
While he was alright in it I'm not sure what Matt Damon brought to his role at all
What the fucking fuck was up with the sound in this, I could barely hear a fucking thing over the soundtrack and if I ever watch this again I'm going to need subtitles
No seriously, the Matt Damon noise (you know which noise) literally hurt my ear and my girlfriend's ears, and I missed tons of dialogue - the part of the movie you should be able to actually listen to! - due to some stupid noise over the top
Oh hey bro I know I just burnt all that food you needed in order to survive and tried to kidnap your family so they didn't die of Great Depression lung but my watch is talking in morse code, hug me
The ending would have been totally better if Coop died in the hole and Edmonds lived on his Nevada planet with Space Anne Hathaway

Verdict:

3 burst ear drums out of 10

I heard that the Movie was challenging to fit into the sound system or whatever technical jargon one uses who understand that sort of thing. I watched it at arguably the best cinema in the area and experienced no issues with the sound.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6988 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 27 November 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

There should be laws against it *shudders*

And apparently they got the screenwriter bloke from Fantastic Four and Green Lantern involved as well. The only thing that could make this disaster worse would be if they turned it into a musical.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6989 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostGorefest, on 27 November 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 27 November 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

There should be laws against it *shudders*

And apparently they got the screenwriter bloke from Fantastic Four and Green Lantern involved as well. The only thing that could make this disaster worse would be if they turned it into a musical.

What? No, the screenwriter is Hampton Fancher, the same guy who wrote the first one.

And Ridley is also no longer directing it, juts producing it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6990 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 November 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

What? No, the screenwriter is Hampton Fancher, the same guy who wrote the first one.

The official script from BR2 is from Fancher, but that script will get a rejig from Michael Green. Bit dated, but I haven't heard of a cancellation of this: http://www.theguardi...e-runner-sequel
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6991 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostGorefest, on 27 November 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 November 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

The official script from BR2 is from Fancher, but that script will get a rejig from Michael Green. Bit dated, but I haven't heard of a cancellation of this: http://www.theguardi...e-runner-sequel

As per the most recent news, which was mainly about Ridley no longer directing, he says Fancher is still the only writer working with him:

Scott also gave some details about the plot of Blade Runner 2, which he's already developed with developed with the Blade Runnder's co-writer Hampton Fancher. It sounds like finding Deckard's going to be a major plot point:

We talked at length about what it could be, and came up with a pretty strong three-act storyline, and it all makes sense in terms of how it relates to the first one," says Scott, who adds that fans can expect to see Harrison Ford back in the saddle as the futuristic gumshoe Rick Deckard. "Harrison is very much part of this one, but really it's about finding him; he comes in in the third act."

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6992 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

He is still credited on the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/...t_ov_wr#writers

Let's hope they also use outdated sources.

#6993 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

IMDB is editable by anyone, and very often outdated. I rarely look at it for anything other than cast lists these days.

#6994 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

I might take a crack at editing the script myself. I'm thinking of setting it on the moon, where there will be a battle between Replicants and Decepticants.

#6995 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

Probably would be better than with Ridley attached to it.

Now we need someone to fuck with Back to the Future just for shits and giggles.
No Touchy.

#6996 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Saw NIGHTCRAWLER. That was really good. Jake Gyllenhaal nails his character's sociopathy. Highly recommended.

Also finally saw DAYS OF FUTURE PAST. The film is mostly meh, but the prison break sequence is pure awesome. I LOL'd when the Jim Croce song came on. That was a brilliant touch.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6997 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

View Postworry, on 27 November 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

I might take a crack at editing the script myself. I'm thinking of setting it on the moon, where there will be a battle between Replicants and Decepticants.

I would watch the energon-shit out of that, but what about Mexicants?

(For those about to jump down my throat, it's referring to a line from a Johnny Depp movie.)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 28 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6998 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostSombra, on 28 November 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

(For those about to jump down my throat, it's referring to a line from a Johnny Depp movie.)

No, it's a line from an Antonio Banderas movie that Johnny Depp happened to be in. :unsure:

Though he was the best thing in it and it was his line.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6999 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

The Babadook: Australian horror flick of the bogeyman variety. Very strange, creepily effective. As much psychological horror as supernatural. Not necessarily wholly satisfying, and still unpacking it, but I really liked it nevertheless. Two amazing performances in the central roles, and one of the best child performances I've seen in a long time. The kid's got that magnetic intensity of like Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

#7000 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

I've heard you only need to watch it once though, yes?

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users