• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6941 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostSombra, on 16 November 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

Sorry to be late to the party, but aren't you the same lot who supported casting Idris Elba as a Norse God? So a black guy can play a white guy, but not the other way round?

http://en.wikipedia....ace_controversy

Who gives a fuck what actor plays a role? Just as long as they don't suck. For me, willing suspension of disbelief is less about looks and more about ability.

For the record, I was initially doubtful, but when I saw Thor I liked Idris Elba as Heimdall.

You should check out the discussion a few days ago in the Marvel thread for some perspective on why casting a PoC as a white guy is considered more okay than casting a white person in the role of a PoC. But put simply, there's enough roles for white folk, whereas non-white folk struggle to get roles enough without taking ones that would seem to be made for them and giving them to white chaps anyway.

It's a bit more dodgy in this case because they've clearly made Joel Edgerton up to look more like what they think an Egyptian should look like, which is worryingly close to going blackface.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6942 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

Posted Image

#6943 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:59 AM

Alright, so I went to see Dumb and Dumber To.

Painful. Just painful to watch. It was unfunny and vulgar, with them constantly rehashing their old jokes and failing. Total garbage.

If you can, do not see this movie.

There was also this family sitting behind me that, and I don't want to be mean, seemed like they were not the brightest of folks. Laughing hysterically at every fart joke and commenting shit like "aww hells no he didnt" in their malboro voice. Had to even tell them twice to stop kicking my seat. The stereotypical stupid movie family. I didn't even know people like that were real, but at least now I know for who these types of movies are made and why they do so well.

But jokes on me cause they came out of there a lot happier.
No Touchy.

#6944 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 November 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

View PostSombra, on 16 November 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

You either consistently believe in getting it right according to the background, or you don't.

And besides, if even science can't agree what ancient Egyptians looked like, who the hell are we to care?

EDIT: besides, this movie is first and foremost about making $$$, and as we all know the biggest cinema market in the world won't go to see a movie with entirely Semitic and African cast.

Those are the only two choices you allot? What a shame.

The features of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs and officials who were native to the Nile looked is actually fairly easy to figure out - since we have their mummified bodies. They're essentially the same as the people who now live there - Northeastern Africans.

I have only a little to add. Ptolemy, sire of the last Egyptian dynasty (300 years of it) was a Greek. He was one of Alexander Of Macedon's elite bodyguards who took rule of Egypt after he'd been made satrap and he'd have been olive skinned. His entire dynasty including Cleopatra was very likely mixed.

Actually most of the early dynasties were considered lighter brown-skinned (more middle eastern, or Mediterranean in appearance, Rameses II had red hair apparently...according to his mummy), and darker Nubian lines didn't come along till later dynasties, I believe with the invasion from Kush (Ethopia) so around the 25th Egyptian dynasty.

There is no monoracial skin colour to denote ancient egypt as a whole. It's lineage is too long and muddied by conquest and empires to be nailed down exactly.

But yes, it would never have ever been white caucasians. Or Joel Edgerton with a tan.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6945 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

After having blitzed through the entire series, I watched the first of the INBETWEENERS movies last night and really enjoyed it. It's more of the same from the show, but it's got a lot of heart too. Some really, really funny bits. Also, I MAY have a crush on Lydia Rose Bewley.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6946 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

if you liked the show and the film, you should have no problems with the sequel, more of the same, and (imo) genuinely funnier in places

#6947 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

Awesome, that's what I figured, but it's nice to know that I've got more of the goods to look fwd to.

#6948 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

Haha I saw the film to today too QT, after discussing it in the other thread. Funny stuff indeed.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6949 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

Mrs Tiste and I periodically watch the Harry Potter films. We are on Goblet of Fire at the moment. Highly entertaining!

Neville Longbottom is a hero!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6950 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 November 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Mrs Tiste and I periodically watch the Harry Potter films. We are on Goblet of Fire at the moment. Highly entertaining!

Neville Longbottom is a hero!

I never get tired of watching those, and I do the entire series at least one a year. Always great!

#6951 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:08 PM

I'm usually an everything after the first two is pretty good kind of person, but I caught the tail end of Chamber of Secrets the other day and the Basilisk was actually a better, scarier adversary than I remembered. I might actually have to give the first two another shot.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6952 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

Remember that scene where Harry goes up and hugs Hagrid in the hmiddle of the hall? No you don't. I didn't even want to go and I had to see that in the cinema.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6953 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:01 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 20 November 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Remember that scene where Harry goes up and hugs Hagrid in the hmiddle of the hall? No you don't. I didn't even want to go and I had to see that in the cinema.

True. That could be the cheesiest finish to a film ever.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6954 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Has anyone seen What We Do In The Shadows yet? Vampire mockumentary by Jerome from Flight of the Conchords. It looks very funny. I'm going to try and see it this weekend.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#6955 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's hilarious. Pretty well done all around.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6956 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

View Postworry, on 20 November 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

I'm usually an everything after the first two is pretty good kind of person, but I caught the tail end of Chamber of Secrets the other day and the Basilisk was actually a better, scarier adversary than I remembered. I might actually have to give the first two another shot.

Funny this should come up; my daughter has just found the first one, and consequently I've seen it several times over the last week - it's actually on now. She's seen the second one at least once as well.

They're not as bad as I remember - I actually think Richard Harris as Dumbledore was a good choice, I'd really like to have seen how he would have been in the later films.

Also, wearing an Invisibility Cloak, at night, and then carrying a goddamn lantern, definitely qualifies as one of the most ridiculous things ever.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6957 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

Watched THE INBETWEENERS 2, and it was really quite funny...but I think the 1st fiilm has more heart and charm to it. Both are good, but the 1st film felt like it moved the guys forward, but the second film takes that away and shifts them back.

#6958 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

Bloody helll we actually got to go out - at the same time!

Saw Mockingjay part 1. Another good instalment, steady pace much like the book.

I'm glad they made the decision to split the book - unlike Peter Jacksons unnecessary padding, this felt far more like it was done to fit in all the material to do the story justice.

I know it's ya and there are some questionable plot elements, but it doesn't shy away from the darker parts - mass killings, torture and such. I'll definitely be checking out part 2.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6959 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

Ridiculously excited about this and I don't care who knows it:

http://youtu.be/KBwOYQd21TY
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6960 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Ridiculously excited about this and I don't care who knows it:

http://youtu.be/KBwOYQd21TY

Me too. The wife made me watch the first one (I hadn't wanted to) and I was more than pleasantly surprised. I'll be seeing this in the theatre with her.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users