• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6601 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 03 May 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 03 May 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Screw that, Barrowman is fucking awesome!

Did I say he wasn't? I said I've met him, and he doesn't have the voice style that is featured in that trailer. I wouldn't have stood in line to meet him and get his autograph if I didn't think he was awesome.

I was merely agreeing with you and disagreeing with the notion that just because someone is gay they must neccessarily affect a "gay" tone of voice. That's, I think, patently absurd.

In no way was I implying that you thought Barrowman wasn't awesome (which he is!)

Ah, understood! Well then we are in agreement. Barrowman is the awesome!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6602 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

You guys reminded of this bit from Curb Your Enthusiasm:

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 04 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#6603 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Pompeii

A fascinating documentary about the ecological effects of volcanoes on Jon Snows abs

A bit meh unsurprisingly

#6604 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Started to watch THE DECOY BRIDE, partially for my love of both Kelly Macdonald, and David Tenannt, but also partially because it's a wedding movie, and considering my impending nuptials...

Anyways.

Pretty solidly lame. We turned it off at about the 40-minute mark. It wasn't exceptionally funny (the way you'd expect a movie about a backwater Scottish isle community might be), and the only bright spot was Kelly Macdonald's self-deprecating humour. Otherwise. Skip it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6605 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 May 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Started to watch THE DECOY BRIDE, partially for my love of both Kelly Macdonald, and David Tenannt, but also partially because it's a wedding movie, and considering my impending nuptials...

Anyways.

Pretty solidly lame. We turned it off at about the 40-minute mark. It wasn't exceptionally funny (the way you'd expect a movie about a backwater Scottish isle community might be), and the only bright spot was Kelly Macdonald's self-deprecating humour. Otherwise. Skip it.

I was kind of thinking of watching but only cos it was filmed on the Isle of Man where my family lives...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6606 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Damn, this twitter feed makes me realize there are so many great movies I haven't seen.
https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot

#6607 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Not sure if I get that twitter account. How are these images being judged? From the point of view of cinematography? Camera work? lighting? staging?

A lot of them look pretty bad or at least I would not categorize them as being "perfect shots".

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 09 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

#6608 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

To be honest, I didn't get that art critically (is that a word?) with it. It just made me realize there are a lot of movies I can place in the queue for future viewing. The feed is called "One Perfect Shot", so to your point, many of them fall short of "perfect".

#6609 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

They made a movie adaption of the Australian soap opera?

#6610 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think he means Bad Neighbours

#6611 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Neighbours

Neighbours is an Australian television soap opera. It was first broadcast on the Seven Network on 18 March 1985. It was created by TV executive Reg Watson, who proposed the idea of making a show that focused on realistic stories and portrayed adults and teenagers who talk openly and solve their problems together. Seven decided to commission the show following the success of Watson's Sons and Daughters, which aired on the network. Although successful in Melbourne, Neighbours underperformed in the Sydney market and struggled for months before Seven cancelled it. The show was immediately bought by rival network Ten. After taking over production of the show, the new network had to build replica sets because Seven destroyed the originals to prevent its rival from obtaining them. Ten began screening Neighbours on 20 January 1986, taking off where the previous series left off and commencing with episode 171. Neighbours has since become the longest running drama series in Australian television and in 2005, it was inducted collectively into the Logie Hall of Fame. On 11 January 2011, Neighbours moved to Ten's digital channel, Eleven.

-----------

I remember it from when I was a kid. I want to claim that it was the first soap opera to ever become popular in Denmark but I suspect shows like Glamour might have been there before. I know Nighbours became really popular in Denmark for a while because it launched when Denmark got its third television channel somewhen in the early 90s.

It had Kylie Minogue in it as well.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 11 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

#6612 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Watched LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN. What a lifeless turd.

Also watched the original ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN on DVD. Horribly dated and not much there story-wise, but Donald Pleasance. And a bear.

Got tix to see GODZILLA in IMAX 3D this Friday.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6613 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

The secret Life of Walter Mitty.

watched this last night.
quite entertaining, nice to see Ben Stiller play something other than neurotic and on the edge or idiotic and on the edge.
Not that Walter didn't have mental issues but it felt like ferrell in stranger than fiction, playing it almost straight and showing they have the ability to do it.

anyway, entertaining, a few laugh out loud moments and (for me) an interesting insight to how much of peoples lives can be wasted and missed day dreaming when they should be doing.

#6614 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Latest TRANSFORMERS: AoE trailer.

You know why this looks better than the other three? No Labeef.

I hate Mark Wahlberg, and this already seems better.

I like both the look of the Dinobots, and whoever that Lambo that transforms after the bit about the space metal, looks really slick (I'm guessing that's meant to be Shockwave, ...what with the face gun nozzle thingie).

Are we looking at the equivalent of the Space Bridge to Cybertron in this flick? That's usually Shockwave's MO.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

#6615 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Sword wielding Optimus Prime riding Dinobot Grimlock. Oh yes.

#6616 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

I like that they've included a transformer who is ostensibly Kup from TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE...cigar in his mouth and all. I hope his voice is grumbly and grizzled.

EDIT: Holy crap, that cigar is a bullet casing! Clever, clever!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

#6617 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

Watched MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN tonight.

What a whimsical, but realistic Indian story, told in the vein of a fairytale. Touches on major historical events post-Indian Independance...but keeps the story grounded into the life of Saleem himself while these things occur and involve around him.

I was engrossed from the first frame to the last, and the three separate parts all feel suitably different. Well done on Deepa Mehta's part.

And Salman Rushdie himsel narrating it was the icing on the cake.

Brilliant. Highly reccomended!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

#6618 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

It really was.

And for many of the same reasons that I liked 'Monsters.'

I've already seen some complaints that there was not enough Godzilla; but I really enjoyed the build up - it reminded me of the original King Kong, and Jaws too for that matter. (Although the wait in Jaws was more to do with technical issues, it actually made for a better film.) The build-up in Godzilla is nice because they could have gone all-out cgi from the start, but they chose not to. In fact, the cgi in the retro black and white footage works really well.

It does have it's flaws; after a strong start the cast are basically left with little to do, and Edwards tries to avoid any movie cliches, to the point where you can almost see it. But, at the same time he manages to include homage to previous flicks like Jaws, Jurassic Park, and of course the original Godzilla. You'll know 'em when you see 'em. And, while I was watching the cast take a back seat during the second half, I remembered that this film is not about them. Previous Godzilla movies had a human story to back up the monster fights, and that's essentially all this is, it's just done in a more 'convincing' way. The US army weren't (for the most part) portrayed as trigger-happy loonies (their big plan was more than a bit stupid) and although the science and monster origins were a little fuzzy the scientists themselves weren't the awful caricatures from ID4 and Pacific Rim. The downside of that, however, is that they lack any sort of character.

But hey, it was about Godzilla. It was about a reboot. It could have been called Godzilla Begins.

Best bits... classic Godzilla moves. I'm not usually prone to cheering in the cinema, but certain bits got very close to a FUCK, YEAH!

(Oh and the music score, especially towards the end, starts sounding a lot like that military march from the original movies...epic!)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6619 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

WRATH OF KHAN is on TV. This flick is still the best!

#6620 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Indeed it is.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users