• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading Order

#1 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

I apologize if this has been addressed already but I couldn't find a specific order of things. From what I can gather, ICE's books and SE's books, though different (Kinda) coincide with eachother. However, what about the tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach?

I'm planning on going and buying all the books tomorrow sometime and I wanted to make sure I got all the books pertaining to the story, and if so, what is the proper reading order of The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach thrown in with ICE's books and SE's books?

Thanks
I still heart Goodkind.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Good question! For the Erikson/Esslemont novels, the standard answer is to read them in publication order (so: NoK before BH, RotCG before TtH.)

Where the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach stories fit in, I've never heard, though I'm sure they must come before MoI, chronologically. Oh, and the 3rd B&KB story is actually the second, chronologically.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on Mar 26 2009, 02:42 PM, said:

Good question! For the Erikson/Esslemont novels, the standard answer is to read them in publication order (so: NoK before BH, RotCG before TtH.)

Where the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach stories fit in, I've never heard, though I'm sure they must come before MoI, chronologically. Oh, and the 3rd B&KB story is actually the second, chronologically.

Thanks for the info mate. I'm still searching. I'm just curious so I can catch all of the information possible while keeping it chronologically in sync. OCD or something, just how it is lol.
I still heart Goodkind.

#4 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hmm, I'm thinking that NoK should be read before GotM, but atleast that is my opinion.

The first time that I read NoK it was after GotM and before DHG, it explained some things that happened in GotM
Spoiler
(not sure if this should be masked, but he still has to read them I see).

On RotCG I wasn't sure yet if it should be read before or after Reaper's Gale, but after Reaper's Gale seems fine to me.

On the Korbald Broach and Bauchelein part I'm not sure yet, still gotta read them.

I hope it helps.

PS, the timeline ain't important :ball:
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

View PostDutch Master of the Deck, on Mar 28 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

Hmm, I'm thinking that NoK should be read before GotM, but atleast that is my opinion.

I disagree. I'd go with Salt Man.

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

I disagree, too, because NoK reveals some important things [who ST and Cot are] and thus leaves you without the 'aha!' moments in GotM/DG concerning this. I'd say, read NoK before or after tBH. But any other time after DG should be as good.

This post has been edited by Puck: 28 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:49 AM

I would say NoK before tBH, just because SE gives several NoK characters cameos in tBH and for those who haven't read NoK, those are complete "wtf" moments, since you have clue who these people are.

as for RotCG, I read it after TtH, because that's how they were released in Canada, and there's only one really minor RotCG spoiler in TtH, otherwise the books are pretty much unrelated.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#8 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:18 AM

I definitely recommend the order in which SE's books are published, but if you're asking about SE/ ICE's books together, fit NoK and RoTCG around the 6th book in SE's series. NoK is after MT is because it sheds light on some things that happen in BH. RoTCG closes out happenings on Quon Tali and in Malaz City so it follows on nicely from BH.

GoTM > DG > MoI > HoC > MT > NoK > BH > RoTCG > RG > TtH >

If you are re-reading however, my recommendation changes a little:

NoK > GoTM > DG > MoI > HoC > BH > RoTCG > TtH > MT > RG >

This sets you up nicely for DoD which follows on most directly from MT and RG
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#9 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are definitely before MoI. If you get the collected edition then the three novellas are already in the book in their reading order (Blood Follows, Lees of Laughter's End, The Healthy Dead). The novella in the middle is a masterpiece. And for everyone who still has to read these: this is by far the best writing Erikson achieved (at least up to book three, as I've yet to read further).

There are various interesting elements in the novellas as well, but the plot itself is going to be anticlimactic as the characters are much better developed and used in these novellas than they are in MoI. So it's a bit deluding.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#10 User is offline   petesapizza 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:45 AM

Hello everybody. New to this website and boy is it awsome. Great resource. Thinking about doing my reread using the chronological order of the books themselves (despite repeated warning of ignoring anything to do with timelines). So it would be:
NoK-BF-LofLE-Hd-MT-GofTM-DG-MoI-HoC-tBH-RG-RoftCG-TTH.
I believe this is the actual chronological order.

#11 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

View Postpetesapizza, on Apr 6 2009, 06:15 AM, said:

Hello everybody. New to this website and boy is it awsome. Great resource. Thinking about doing my reread using the chronological order of the books themselves (despite repeated warning of ignoring anything to do with timelines). So it would be:

Bravo sir... that is indeed the order, although I do think the B&KB novellae might be misplaced. Don't recall why I think that specifically, but I was under the impression at least one of those books was post MOI.

Also, if you want to be absolutely anal about chronological reading order, consider reading the MT, RG, MOI prologues before all else :(
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Apr 6 2009, 01:25 AM, said:

Bravo sir... that is indeed the order, although I do think the B&KB novellae might be misplaced. Don't recall why I think that specifically, but I was under the impression at least one of those books was post MOI.

Also, if you want to be absolutely anal about chronological reading order, consider reading the MT, RG, MOI prologues before all else :D

Or go for the even more extreme chronological order of:

1. RotCG Prologue
2. MT Prologue
3. RG Prologue
4. MoI Prologue
5. NoK
6. GotM Prologue
7. MT
8. HoC I (about halfway through, start reading a chapter of HoC for every book of GotM)
9. DG Prologue
10. HoC Prologue
11. DG and MoI, alternating every chapter or so
12. HoC II-IV
13. BH prologue
14. BH (during the last book, start alternating chapters with the start of RG)
15. finish off RG
16. RotCG
17. TtH prologue except for the first part
18. TtH
19. 1st part of TtH prologue
20. TtH epilogue
21. DoD prologue

(of course then there's the even crazier version where all your read a bunch of random flashbacks before starting any of the novels for real...)

This post has been edited by D'rek: 03 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

View PostD'rek, on Apr 12 2009, 03:04 PM, said:

Also, if you want to be absolutely anal about chronological reading order, consider reading the MT, RG, MOI prologues before all else :D

1. RotCG Prologue
2. MT Prologue
3. RG Prologue
4. MoI Prologue
5. NoK
6. GotM Prologue
7. MT
8. HoC I (about halfway through, start reading a chapter of HoC for every book of GotM)
9. DG Prologue
10. HoC Prologue
12. HoC II-IV
13. BH prologue
15. finish off RG
16. RotCG
17. TtH
18. TtH prologue
19. DoD prologue

(of course then there's the even crazier version where all your read a bunch of random flashbacks before starting any of the novels for real...)

You, sir, have way too much time on your hands.
I still heart Goodkind.

#14 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

View PostAssail, on Apr 13 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

Or go for the even more extreme chronological order of: (snip)

Aah... great gobs of gooey virtual rep coming your way D'rek. You worm you! Ahem.

#15 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

View PostD'rek, on Apr 12 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

1. RotCG Prologue
2. MT Prologue
3. RG Prologue
4. MoI Prologue
5. NoK
6. GotM Prologue
7. MT
9. DG Prologue
10. HoC Prologue
12. HoC II-IV
13. BH prologue
15. finish off RG
16. RotCG
17. TtH
18. TtH prologue
19. DoD prologue

Awesome. I've been thinking about doing this for a while. A couple of things: #8 isn't very clear. What do you mean by "halfway through?" Also, doesn't RotCG have some overlap with RG?

#16 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Apr 13 2009, 03:39 AM, said:

View PostAssail, on Apr 13 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

Also, if you want to be absolutely anal about chronological reading order, consider reading the MT, RG, MOI prologues before all else :)

Or go for the even more extreme chronological order of: (snip)

Aah... great gobs of gooey virtual rep coming your way D'rek. You worm you! Ahem.

And you sir, need a girlfriend!

Haha, you people are salivating over what I would call a frustrated, unrelaxing read.

Oh wait.... Steven Erikson books!
I still heart Goodkind.

#17 User is offline   petesapizza 

• Recruit

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I like the books alot but HOLY SHIT you need to be teaching a thesis on this. Thats ALOT of time you got on your hands there Drek to do that (even if it was sarcastic--god I hope it was). Cheers

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

You all seem to think that means I have a lot of time on my hands... putting that list together took less than 10 minutes (even had to look up to remember what the HoC prologue was about...). Not that I've ever actually read it all in that order, that's just the chronology...

besides, my extreme nerdiness in regards to this series is already evident from my timelines (see sig)...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#19 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:14 AM

Yeah I don't see why D'rek would have had to have spent much time with that. I've thought over a chronology several times in my head and could come up with a similar list in just a few minutes.

#20 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

I never noticed this before, but...why does the TtH prologue come after TtH proper?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users