• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#12861 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

I'd say name the sphere after the coolest of the dwarves in Middle Earth, Ballin'.

(if the cat didn't have a name already I'd say Excalipurr or Astrophe)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12862 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostGnaw, on 27 December 2015 - 02:15 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 26 December 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 December 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 26 December 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

Our new 4k tv makes everything look so incredible I'm going to have to watch all my blu-rays on it again.

Just watched the T-rex scene from JP with the surround cranked up - just awesome.

Someone in my house decided to treat himself to the same. He has just finished setting it up now and trying to decide which Bluray to watch first. I was hardly consulted so get to act like it's a frivolous expense while enjoying a brilliant new tv!

Fortunately someone in my house hinted before Christmas that maybe we could get a bigger tv.. so I took that as an opportunity! I didn't even know about 4k tvs until about two weeks ago - I have kind of avoided the issue of how much I actually spent but at the moment she's so impressed with it that I don't think she cares!

I got one in early November. It's ethically iffy but I've been known to use Wal-Mart's generous return policies to test drive tech. I didn't think I'd like the curved screen so I bought it first. Love at first view. But I'll warn you up front: they just scream "play games on me" so if you don't have a console already you'll probably be adding one to the purchase price of the tv. :p

I didn't get a curved screen. I thought it looked a bit gimmicky as it only looks good from directly in front.

And yes, I have just spent about four hours playing Fallout 4, while everyone else went out for the afternoon, which made me very happy.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#12863 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostTraveller, on 27 December 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

I didn't get a curved screen. I thought it looked a bit gimmicky as it only looks good from directly in front.

Agreed, which is why I didn't think I'd keep it. But I'm using it as a tertiary monitor for my mac and the curved screen is perfect for that. The imac's 27" at a little more than arm's length away has to be at just the right angle or I can tell the difference in readability from edge to center to edge. The 65" curved screen at about 9' distance makes that a non issue.

But I'm single and it doesn't bother me a bit that my living room is now basically an office. And I'm used to a "sweet spot" from my audio gear so a similar situation with video takes no getting used to.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#12864 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

The Steam Sale. It's the first year I can even think of buying a game just because I want it. Even with the big discounts I'd steer away the previous years, but now.. It's not much, but I am happy :p
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#12865 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:00 PM

View Postworry, on 27 December 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

Someone did. His name is Brandon Sanderson. 75% of the book was about sucking on these while the other 25% was about people in ball gowns moping. It ruled pretty hard.

Yeah, just finished his Mistborn trilogy. The guy kept explaining the same things over and over again. I almost gave up after reading an almost copy-pasted reminder of one of the basic mechanisms of his magic system during one of the final chapters of the third book of the trilogy. I think Sanderson could've reduced the word count by half if he didn't assume his readers to have severe memory impairments.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

#12866 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

My parents bought me a liquor cabinet and an excellent whisky. Life is good.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#12867 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Someone did. His name is Brandon Sanderson. 75% of the book was about sucking on these while the other 25% was about people in ball gowns moping. It ruled pretty hard.

I have a mental image now of someone fellating a hewn, iron dingus. Cheers, worry.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12868 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

View PostGredfallan Ale, on 27 December 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

Yeah, just finished his Mistborn trilogy. The guy kept explaining the same things over and over again. I almost gave up after reading an almost copy-pasted reminder of one of the basic mechanisms of his magic system during one of the final chapters of the third book of the trilogy. I think Sanderson could've reduced the word count by half if he didn't assume his readers to have severe memory impairments.

To be fair, The magic system of Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy is VAST and complex. I forget what metal burned produces what effect when I'm reading the latter books...nevermind that in the next generation you have metal mixes that do even more stuff. A few in-story reminders aren't the worst thing for someone like me who tends to not be able to keep everything straight. YMMV.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12869 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

Had a really lovely peaceful day today. Feeling completely relaxed after a very long time. Seriously what I would do without my girlfriend I do not know...

#12870 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

Wank, probably.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12871 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostMaark, on 28 December 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

I have a mental image now of someone fellating a hewn, iron dingus. Cheers, worry.

That's the design on my checks! (cheques)
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12872 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

View Postworry, on 28 December 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

View PostMaark, on 28 December 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

That's the design on my checks! (cheques)

Misread as 'cheeks' and had a mental image of your bearing the brand of the parrot archie on your face, sort of like Karsa.

#12873 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:37 AM

I don't know who the parrot Archie is, unless you mean one of these two:

http://www.shropshir...m-newport-home/

http://www.birmingha...archie-10635996

Two missing parrot Archies within weeks though? Seems pretty suspicious.

#12874 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

View Postworry, on 30 December 2015 - 02:37 AM, said:

I don't know who the parrot Archie is, unless you mean one of these two:

http://www.shropshir...m-newport-home/

http://www.birmingha...archie-10635996

Two missing parrot Archies within weeks though? Seems pretty suspicious.

You know, the pet autopsy. The park autarchy. That thing which is, like, well oppressive'n'stuff.

This post has been edited by Maark: 30 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

#12875 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

Ohhhh you mean when dear ol dad is so scared his daughter is a sexual being that he legislates that women generally should be forced to have invasive medical procedures as part of their family planning (http://thinkprogress...es-under-radar/).

I do have tats of that on my cheeks, but it's the butt. Left butt cheek says "It's just their imagination, bro" and the right buttock quotes former Pennsylvania Governor Corbett's advice to women: "You just have to close your eyes".

#12876 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

View Postworry, on 30 December 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

Ohhhh you mean when dear ol dad is so scared his daughter is a sexual being that he legislates that women generally should be forced to have invasive medical procedures as part of their family planning (http://thinkprogress...es-under-radar/).

I do have tats of that on my cheeks, but it's the butt. Left butt cheek says "It's just their imagination, bro" and the right buttock quotes former Pennsylvania Governor Corbett's advice to women: "You just have to close your eyes".

Is this really what is making you happy right now, Worry?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12877 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Yes, I find conversations with Maark to be engaging, fun, and funny. He's a right bloody poffle of a bloke, in my estimation, even if we disagree sometimes.

#12878 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

Chronic pain is so intimidating. You gotta feel really proud about that.

#12879 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:34 AM

View PostBriar King, on 30 December 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

Crap I posted in Groove thread by mistake:

2015 has been a great yr for me cutting down my pain pill intake. It feels and looks great having two full bottles of xtra hidden in my closet from ex.

How much for one of those?

:D

:ducks:
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#12880 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

View Postworry, on 30 December 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

Yes, I find conversations with Maark to be engaging, fun, and funny. He's a right bloody poffle of a bloke, in my estimation, even if we disagree sometimes.

S-senpai! It's not like I WANTED you to notice me!

Onto matters brightening my day: Managed to persuade my sister to speak with my dad again (they'd had some form of tiff or another). Hopefully she'll be coming to his 60th soon.

Share this topic:

• 964 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users