• You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#12681 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

View Postworry, on 19 November 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

Sorry for the rough words everybody but I like to think of them as Richard Dorkins and Ricky Jerkface.

Posted Image
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12682 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:50 AM

Yeah who does le enlightened and euphoric atheist gentlesir have to tip his fedora to now that Dawkins has revealed himself to be a toxic, hate-filled hypocrite? Tough times...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12683 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 November 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

Yeah who does le enlightened and euphoric atheist gentlesir have to tip his fedora to now that Dawkins has revealed himself to be a toxic, hate-filled hypocrite? Tough times...

Yes, because we all know that a single individual represents the entirety of the group. *le sigh*
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#12684 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:17 AM

View PostBriar King, on 20 November 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

It looks like a cop copter flashing it's red and blue lights. Pretty

Absolute proof that BK is not growing funny plants in his backyard.

:(
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#12685 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 November 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

View PostSolidsnape, on 18 November 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

Getting a lot of Dawkins/Gervais hate here.
I'll be honest, I was expecting Gervais negativity, but hating on Dawkins? Really?
Ah well.

Have you not read anything Dawkins has written or said in the last five years?

The Selfish Gene and God delusion. Though I'm pretty sure they are more than 5 years old.
As far as the things he says, yeah all the time, and while he may not be everyone's cup of tea, I tend to agree with a lot he says, even if I don't always agree with the way he says it.
Hence the original post.
But the guy is passionate. So what?
I suppose you're all going to take a pop at Christipher Hitchens too?
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#12686 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:42 AM

Apologize in advance for getting coarse here but I tend to refer to him as Christopher Chickens.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12687 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostGnaw, on 20 November 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 November 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

Yes, because we all know that a single individual represents the entirety of the group. *le sigh*

I mean the hero dare-I-say-it worship of Dawkins was pretty big at one point. There was a lovely atheist circlejerk going on in the discussion board...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12688 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

I used to like/read Dawkins...but yeah he's kind of become a raging dickhole in his later years. Or maybe he always was and I was just not seeing it?

Anyways there are far less abrasive people out there who speak about atheism. Actually, I find the least abrasive people don't speak about it at all and just get on with their lives.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12689 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

Dawkins has a speaking part on the last Nightwish album for reasons nobody seems to understand...

Dawkins strikes me in much the same way Germaine Greer does these days - they used to be influential, the star has waned and now they're just mean and controversial for any scrap of publicity they can get.

Gervais - the other half made me watch The Office. My exact words were "Do that again and you can pay the mortgage by yourself." Awkward humour just isn't my thing and Gervais thinks far too much of himself to be entertaining. I like comics who can laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#12690 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

In positive news: Jäger is coming home. Sort of. When we get his cremation done his ashes are going into a little statuette. Means he can always be near his sister again.

In the new year we're also going to look to adopt again. Smudge has always had a friend around and it'll be good for her to be part of a duo again.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12691 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

a little bit of WW fun for the day

#12692 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

So after much deliberation about where to go next year, we decided that what we really wanted was to go back to Iceland again. So now we're doing that!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12693 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 20 November 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

Gervais - the other half made me watch The Office. My exact words were "Do that again and you can pay the mortgage by yourself." Awkward humour just isn't my thing and Gervais thinks far too much of himself to be entertaining. I like comics who can laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously.

The whole point of Gervais's David Brent role is that he is laughing at himself/middle managers. This is his thing.

That's most of his major roles, now that I come to think about it.

My problem with him outside of The Office (which I like, but not love as I do the American version once it gets beyond the first two seasons) is that he may not take himself seriously enough on-screen. There's always that moment of sickly laughter that he pulls, which fits with some characters like David Brent who know they're being filmed, but doesn't fit with characters who are living a hypothetically unobserved life.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12694 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 November 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 20 November 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

The whole point of Gervais's David Brent role is that he is laughing at himself/middle managers. This is his thing.

Can't say I can see how that's laughing at himself, but if you enjoyed the show I suspect you have a better idea than me what the point was. I just can't hack cringe humour.

Possibly I'm conflating his comedy with his persona when interviewed (as far as I've seen) which I shouldn't really do, but I just find him very self important. To each their own though - my favourite comedian is Eddie Izzard and I know plenty can't stand him!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#12695 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

I find Gervais' tv amusing but not the kind if thing that makes me laugh out loud. His stand up makes me cringe. He isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is but I do wonder how much is a crafted persona.

I find Eddie Izzard a bit sanctimonious nowadays. He used to be great but I think he's spent too much time in Hollywood.

Not adding anything to the convo here, just passing judgement on people for shits and giggles!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12696 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostSolidsnape, on 20 November 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 November 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

View PostSolidsnape, on 18 November 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

Getting a lot of Dawkins/Gervais hate here.
I'll be honest, I was expecting Gervais negativity, but hating on Dawkins? Really?
Ah well.

Have you not read anything Dawkins has written or said in the last five years?

The Selfish Gene and God delusion. Though I'm pretty sure they are more than 5 years old.
As far as the things he says, yeah all the time, and while he may not be everyone's cup of tea, I tend to agree with a lot he says, even if I don't always agree with the way he says it.
Hence the original post.
But the guy is passionate. So what?
I suppose you're all going to take a pop at Christipher Hitchens too?

Would you agree with any of these? I don't think that even includes his 'I was molested as a child and I was fine, so it's not that big of a deal' quotes either. Fuck Dawkins.

As for Hitchens, he gets one extremely huge positive mark for volunteering to be waterboarded to show that it wasn't torture, actually going through with it, lasting about five seconds and immediately changing his mind to agree that it was in fact torture. Despite his warmongering asshole awfulness in every other aspect of his life, that means a lot. So no, he wasn't as bad as Dawkins.

And Gervais! I really wish that Stardust review I wrote where I wanted to recut the movie so it's seven hours long and 4 hours of it is the scene where the character Gervais plays gets stabbed to death loops while triumpant music and cheers play in the background wasn't lost somewhere.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12697 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 20 November 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

And Gervais! I really wish that Stardust review I wrote where I wanted to recut the movie so it's seven hours long and 4 hours of it is the scene where the character Gervais plays gets stabbed to death loops while triumpant music and cheers play in the background wasn't lost somewhere.

Illy, you and I are going to get along famously!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#12698 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

Illy, I would fund that.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12699 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:01 PM

Well, I on the other hand find Gervais pretty entertaining and enjoy his antics. Also, Ghost Town was a great movie.
No Touchy.

#12700 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:16 AM

My wife and I got to hear our baby's heartbeat today. It's our first child so this is both amazing and terrifying to me.

Share this topic:

• 964 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users