• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

City in the Jungle? Assail novel?

#1 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

According to Amazon UK, Bantam will published Ian C. Esslemont's hardcover novel City in the Jungle (title tbc) on November 7th, 2013. Could this be the final Malazan Empire novel about the continent of Assail? I believe City in the Jungle was the working title of Blood and Bone.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostJussi, on 10 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

I believe City in the Jungle was the working title of Blood and Bone.

Considering the amount of times "city in the jungle" is said outright in BaB, I'd assume that to be the case. I'm guessing it's just a placeholder on Amazon at this point.

Sweet news, though!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Considering the amount of times "city in the jungle" is said outright in BaB, I'd assume that to be the case. I'm guessing it's just a placeholder on Amazon at this point.

Sweet news, though!

And quite apt, as well. But not our Apt. He's not apt.

Anywho, yeah, think B&B is City in the Jungle.

I want the Assail novel to be titled: "All your questions are answered about the T'lan Imass, Crimson Guard, and Life in General." Think that is a long-shot, though.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I can't remember where but I read something that said ICE's next novel would simply be called 'Assail'.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 10 February 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Sweet news, though!

And quite apt, as well. But not our Apt. He's not apt.

Anywho, yeah, think B&B is City in the Jungle.

I want the Assail novel to be titled: "All your questions are answered about the T'lan Imass, Crimson Guard, and Life in General." Think that is a long-shot, though.

the answer is 42, duh!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#6 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'll have to have another go at finishing BaB before then I suppose. I've enjoyed ICE's other books but I'm finding it a struggle to maintain interest in this one.

#7 User is offline   Seiko 

• Pretentious Plebeian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Coolio. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

At this point I will accept 'Shit Actually Happens This Book'.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

At this point I will accept "Not shit".

#10 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

New Transworld catalogue (March 2013 - December 2013) doesn't include any novel from ICE.

http://www.randomhou...ocument?id=1109

#11 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Canadian release date for The City in the Jungle is December 24th.

http://www.bookloung...n=9780593064481

#12 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

God I hope they change that title...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'm so perplexed... is it ASSAIL or the mmpb of BaB with a title screw-up?

Also, how are we going to acronym 'ASSAIL'?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

We could just call it "The Puppy Who Lost His Way" or TPWLHW. Or ASS.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

'ASS' just seems needlessly hater.
Perhaps 'ASL'... I suppose given it's one word, we could just use the book name.

#16 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 May 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

'ASS' just seems needlessly hater.

Probably more "troll-y" than "hater", but yes.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#17 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

ASL is nicer, but theres something about the acronym ASS....

#18 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Well hopefully they scrap both and actually choose a decent title that coincidentally also has an easy acronym. 'Cos right now we're looking at CITJ or God forbid having to type six whole letters when we talk about the book. :p

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

I dunno, acronyms aside, given all the build-up, i think that there's something totally appropriate in titling the book simply 'ASSAIL'.

#20 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Or "Finally, Assail"

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users