• You cannot reply to this topic

Sorry

#1 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, Art, Bodybuilding

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:36 AM

I really struggled with this one, not technically but actually giving her the look I wanted. Ultimately it still didn't work out as I would've liked but after 5 months of small tweaks I doubt I'll touch it anymore. My intent was to portray young evil Sorry, not the later Apsalar. I started with larger scale but ultimately settled into just a portrait trying to capture Cotilion's essence too.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Niva: 11 October 2011 - 05:37 AM

My website: eternalseven.com

#2 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

Not quite how I pictured her, but somehow the feeling seems really spot on. There's something intangibly unsettling about her, as there should be.

Have rep.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 11 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#3 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

I really like it, there's definitely something nasty going on behind those eyes!!

#4 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Mysterious and eerie, but not frightening or cold at least to this viewer. Very nice work though, love the blurry edges that make you focus on the face.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

I love the pic. Without the tats i think it would be a great representation of her. The hood with the hand is a nice touch.

The stylized facial tats don't scream 'Sorry/Apsalar', as the character didn't have any. that said I like them for the art's sake.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 October 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

I love the pic. Without the tats i think it would be a great representation of her. The hood with the hand is a nice touch.

The stylized facial tats don't scream 'Sorry/Apsalar', as the character didn't have any. that said I like them for the art's sake.

Abyss thanks for the comment. Those are supposed to be blood smears not tats. I had blood painted on her hand but it was distracting in the image so I made it cleaner. Maybe I should have kept it?

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostNiva, on 11 October 2011 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 October 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

Abyss thanks for the comment. Those are supposed to be blood smears not tats. I had blood painted on her hand but it was distracting in the image so I made it cleaner. Maybe I should have kept it?

Put it this way - the lines are more or less symetrical on each eye, and there's no logical or story based reason for her to bleed out of her eyes like that. Also, after looking for a minute they sort of look like rope as opposed to smears, so i figured it was an artistic thing. It's totally a striking visual (pun intended), but it's not a story thing.

If you actually want to bother adjusting the pic, and i'm by no means saying you should - it's your art, after all - than some sort of blood on her face and/or hand would totally suit.

You might even get away with just one smear below one eye. Unintended or otherwise, the sublte rope-like pattern then becomes a fairly clever reference.

But to be clear this is just nitpicky discussion - it's an awesome piece.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

Man, I don't want to look away from this pic for fear that she'll stab me.
QBFTW!

#9 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

I think I'd go for more of a spatter, than the stylized smear you have now...I thought tattoos rather than blood, as well. But they look really cool, though.

Only thing I would critique here is the greyish shading and lack of colour and contrast. You can definitely push the shadows further, as she is wearing a hood, and maybe add a hint of red to the nose/cheek area, and blue under the eyes where the skin is at its thinnest. The irises could also use some more shading/highlighting. But other than that it's areally good portrait. I like the mouth and eyelashes and the blurryness ;)
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#10 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hey Niva, this image of sorry is really good, just have a few issues. As spotted above if its blood you're loooking to portray avoid symmetry. Also i doubt its her blood meaning either it dripped on to her (unlikely) or it splattered on to her face. If the latter you should have more splotches of blood everywhere and not just on her face. It feels a bit too tidy for the bloodied maiden look.

I think its an excellent concept though. Really impressed by the finish, the hand sounds cool, would be great to see both versions :-)

cheers
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#11 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Dolmen and others above: I'd intended that she spread the blood of someone else across her face in that pattern. In the version prior to this final I had blood on her hand. Later as I played with it I carved some rune patterns into the blood which just looked cooler.

It's obviously a disconnect from the story, there was nothing in the books to portray anything like this. I went with it because it looked cool than just blood splotches, and it's still pretty damn evil.

As I posted above, I actually struggled with the look of her quite a bit. Not sure how much total time was spent on it, I'm guessing about 10 hours on and off over the course of 5 months. But each time I brought this image up I was frustrated with the look of her and kept altering stuff. Eventually I settled on that rendition above and just put some finishing touches on it. What you guys are going through with the look and the blood in the span of a few seconds I delt with in the span of about 5 months ;)

Changeface thanks for the crits too, good comments.

This post has been edited by Niva: 14 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

#12 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

It's a very nice pic Niva, great atmosphere, and I think that (ethnically) her look is very close to how I imagine her. She looks a bit young though, I can't remember exactly how young she was when she became possessed but I'm thinking 15 or 16 maybe?
Either way, good stuff :rofl:

#13 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Really, really good :rofl: Not quite how I imagined her, but somehow, I like your interpretation better than my own!;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users