• You cannot reply to this topic

K'Chain Che'Malle Kell Hunter Pencil Drawing

#1 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, Art, Bodybuilding

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Pencil sketch I just made the other day. I'd tried a few times to draw one but this is the first time it worked to my liking. No armor on this guy, just pure muscle and swords.

Posted Image

EDIT: Latest K'Chain creature added check lower post for more details.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Niva: 10 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

My website: eternalseven.com

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Absolutely brilliant.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

nuff said

Attached File(s)

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

unbelievably great...good job!!

#5 User is offline   Sowilo 

• Recruit

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

That is absolutely class!

#6 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

I think you've finally dispelled the long-rooted image in my mind of the K'Chain Che'Malle being a weird fusion of these guys. I'm glad that's finally shifted.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

That's amazing.

If I had to give you any critique it would be that the depiction of the legs in the stride look... weird. It almost looks like the bird isn't actually moving it's upper leg while running.

#8 User is offline   sappers rule 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:love reading

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

I,d have always imagined them looking like raptors with swords for hands
but still unbelievable picture mate :D

#9 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

Hell Yeah!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#10 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

I like the movement in the picture, it's very dynamic :D

I agree with Battle P though. I'd extend that leg forwards a bit. I'd also elongate the torso a bit, to make room for the abdomen, and then give it a longer tail to balance it out :p
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

NICE!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Really nice!

#13 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Niva, on 16 April 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

Pencil sketch I just made the other day. I'd tried a few times to draw one but this is the first time it worked to my liking. No armor on this guy, just pure muscle and swords.

Posted Image

I dig big-time. Much rep. Motion lines and small effects like the rear foot kicking up dirt to connote a lunge toward some unsuspecting prey are very well done. The skin texture is excellent too and I like the proportion and flow/overlap of the muscle lines. The size of the tail is just about perfect proportionally, considering the animal is using it for balance in this pose.

3 criticisms to improve on in the future - all anatomy related

1- The arm sword things look a little too organic. IIRC from the books, they are surgically attached rather than the K'ell being born with them. You'd expect a more "rough" attachment point. I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish that though. Maybe not necessary. It also doesn't look like there's much of an elbow at the base of the blade there. A small redesign around the base of the blade on the tricep side of the arm would make it look more articulate.

2- It looks a bit strange that the front upper leg (quadricep) is scooped out at the hip. If you check out illustrations of similar muscular reptiles like T-rex or velociraptor, the leg grows thicker toward the hip and narrower toward the knee. The back of the leg looks great, just the front of the leg could be filled out to match.

3- No pectoral muscles at all. Big arms like that would need pectoral muscles to move and swing. Not saying that you need human-like pecs a la Arnold Schwarzenegger or anything, just something laying over the ribcage, roughly between the shoulders and extending a bit down along the centre of the chest. Like a chicken breast but not so big in proportion. Different artists vary in how they interpret that muscle group, but the anorexia ribs are almost always only on the sides of the body with a smoother muscle texture in the centre of the chest.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#14 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

WoW, awesome.

Hmm, forked tongue (not sure about this) and maybe too long. It might come in between the teeth too much.
Also, the swords dont seem too functional. Maybe they should be able to make a downward/sideways arc wihout hitting the ground, perhaps a longer torso would do that

#15 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the kind comments and the critique.

About the tongue, I gave it a reptile forked tongue like a lizard/snake. Those critters never have problems with their tongues getting stuck between their teeth though usually when the mouth is open the tongue is retracted.

The swords, I made them organic as if grown not attached by surgery. I also always had problems with SE's description of the armor on the KCCM. I envision the armor on them as more dense and metallic scales than actual humanoid armor that you can take on/off. Also, even though SE talks about the swords appearing to be attached I always thought of them as grown. When a drone becomes a Kell Hunter I envision them growing the swords for the function they're designated for. All KCCM start as drones and eventually mature to perform a specific function. There's much less explanation about surgical attachment of swords in the books than about this metamorphosis the creatures go through in their lifespan. The swords can be rested on the ground though, they're very large. There's a scene in the Crippled God where SE talks about a Kell Hunter resting it's swords in the ground.

As far as the legs go, I basically made them look like chickens with tails. Birds and lizards have a lot in common actually. It's suspected that birds evolved from reptiles actually. Generally speaking chickens carry a lot of fat but if you strip away the feathers you'd see muscles that resemble what I drew. If you closely look at a chicken before you eat it you'll see the legs actually taper in at the body attachment. Also for the chicken wings take a look at how they attach to the main torso. You are right about the pectorals though, birds have huge pecs, especially flying birds. I've yet to see a lizard with pecs though. Lizard forward arms have a really weird attachment to the main trunk.

Anyways, it wasn't very well thought out but it finally looked ok in terms of how I imagine them to be. Gave them a more draconic/tyrannosaurus appearance than a velociraptor.

Really appreaciate all the critique guys, thanks for taking the time. I hope my comments don't turn you off from posting more, I've just tried to give some insight into my brain process when I made this concept.

#16 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Don't worry, we all do it :)

Being picked apart is no fun, but sadly it is necessary...it's the only way you'll get better ;)
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#17 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

That's Fantastic!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#18 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#19 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

A possible new breed of K'chain?

I'm not sure why but I keep coming back with more and more ideas for these creatures. This one is blind and deaf in the traditional sense. However, the spikes all over its body function as sensors that more than compensate for their lack of eyes and ears. Each spike is hallow and has a cristalline bell shaped lens inside which is surrounded by nerve tissue. Because the creatures are equipped with hundreds of spikes on their heads alone they can literally feel the environment around them by sensing vibrations.

Oh and they have acid projecting stingers on the tips of their tail :p

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

wow, that is unbelievably cool. love your concept. you could be a k'chain matron :p
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users