Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

reading order

#1 User is offline   Endit 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hi guys I am new here, its good to see so many fans of the series. Now the thing is I could do with some help from any one who is a committed fan.
I have read the whole of the series from the mazalan book of the fallen, I have just finished The stonewielder, what I need to know is, what is the reading order of the mazalan empire books, not the book of the fallen series but the whole series. can anyone help please

The stonewielder was great by the way

#2 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'd go with the order they're following on the tor.com reread: http://www.tor.com/b...d-of-the-fallen
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on 25 February 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

I'd go with the order they're following on the tor.com reread: http://www.tor.com/b...d-of-the-fallen

Actually most of us recommend reading NoK between MT and The Bonehunters, and RotCG between RG and TtH. I guess RotCG is fine how they have it, but I definitely wouldn't read NoK at that place.

#4 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 25 February 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

View Postjitsukerr, on 25 February 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

Actually most of us recommend reading NoK between MT and The Bonehunters, and RotCG between RG and TtH. I guess RotCG is fine how they have it, but I definitely wouldn't read NoK at that place.

I agree with Disc One, the TOR reading order is fucked. Just to get specific, this is the order he means:

GotM
DG
MoI
HoC
MT
NoK
tBH
RG
RotCG
TtH
DoD
SW
tCG

Some people have suggested flipping DoD and SW, since DoD/tCG are technically two halves of one large book. I like that idea, but I don't think reading SW in between is bad, either.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#5 User is offline   snake0026 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Completely agree with Disc One/Ansible (I personally read SW after TtH, before DoD, for that exact reason).

There are also the Bauchelain and Kobal Broach novellas which can more or less be read at anytime after MoI, as they have no real direct impact on any of the Malazan novels, and only serve to flesh out the backstory of those particular characters (also note that the chronological order of the novellas differs from the pubishing order, with Lees of Laughter's End taking place after Blood Follows but before the Healthy Dead).

This post has been edited by snake0026: 02 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

"But I saw you [Snake]…faced by Anomander [Mandy] himself. How did…"
"I escape? Well, I dazzled him with fancy words, edging ever closer, then used my ninja skills to strike like a cobra, knocking the sword [Spamnipur] away and drop-kicking him over the side before tumbling backwards, slaying another Piss'd Andii on the way."
Silence. Lots of silence. "Fine!" He shrugged and grinned, "Someone hit him in the face with a coin, and he cursed just long enough for me to get away." ~ Excerpt from Gardens of the Tea Spoon

#6 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Why wait so long to read NoK? IMO it fits very nicely after GotM, given that the reveal of
Spoiler
is pretty much given away in the prologue and first chapters of GotM. It certainly wasn't a shock when it was revealed to the characters in-book.

I guess it depends on what you consider the purpose of NoK to be. If it's more about the character introductions, then yes, I guess it fits more nicely before TBH.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#7 User is offline   TheSword 

• Sword Bodyguard
  • Interests:Malazan. Of course. Other Fantasies. Some Anime. Manga. Writing my own Novel.
  • Hulloo! I'm a Malazan mastermind of the series. I've read ALL of the novels except Crippled God and Esslemont's upcomming Stonewielder in US.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

In the Case yer a lazy what-not I'll tell you em all without the use of a link eh?

The series spans between two authors but you can read the entire series with Erikson. Esslemont just adds more fun because it'll be the last you hear of Tayschrenn after Memories of Ice. He's in Esslemont's novels though! There's more of our favorite Dassem Ultor in Esslemont too.

spanning both authors it goes as follows

Night of Knives - Esslemont Why this novel first? Because it takes place AFTER the prologue in Gardens of the Moon and Gardens takes place YEARS after its own prologue! Might want to read Gardens of the Moon's prologue first then eh? Then put it down and pick this one up.
Gardens of the Moon - Erikson

Now here's a thinker for you.
Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice takes place on two different continents, but at the SAME TIME.
How?
They took a few characters from Gardens of the moon and pushed em into Deadhouse, and the others return in Memories. New characters added of course!

It's preferred to read
Deadhouse Gates first. Because it takes place basically RIGHT AFTER Gardens of the Moon.
Memories of Ice a few weeks later after Gardens. during a few chapters into Deadhouse. in time span.
(also! During Memories of Ice we meet our favorite Trio. Bauchelain, Korbal Broach, and Emanciper Reese. They have their own novel! It's outside of the plotline of the Fallen because they have their own plotline. Memories intertwines the both of them! might want to read Bauchelain and Korbal Broach after this novel!)
House of Chains is next! it's a sequel to Deadhouse Gates. We won't be seeing many of the characters in Memories of Ice for a while. They'll be back later.
During House of Chains we meet a Tiste Edur named Trull Sengar. Well, his past and a backstory into the continent we'll visit next is the next novel.
Midnight Tides. It has nothing to do with chonological order. The end of the novel takes place two months before we meet Trull in House of Chains.
Gives you a thinker eh!?
But nonetheless necessary! We meet alot of characters from Midnight Tides in Reapers Gale. and a few of them are in Esslemont's Return of the Crimson Guard. But we'll get to that later.

Ok. so after Midnight Tides. We come to The Bonehunters. A Sequel after House of Chains. The Comedy Really Sparks to life in this one. In my Opinion. There's SO MUCH going on! Also! The Dramatis Personae doesn't add him in at the front so I'll say it here. Ganoes Paran returns in this novel! If you're a fan of him. Then Rejoice! He comes in a ways into the book so you have some waiting to do!

After this we trudge on back to Esslemont's novel. Think about it! The end of the Bonehunters we see them leaving Malaz Isle. So it's naturally our next novel takes place on Malaz Isle! The Bonehunters return in Reapers Gale but they have some Voyaging to do. It'll take a few months. So during that time.

We bring you Return of the Crimson Guard by Esslemont. A few characters from the Bonehunters appear in this novel. Namely the Wickans who didnt go with the Bonehunters. And a few characters from Midnight Tides. (See I told you that novel was necessary!). In Book one they introduce the Crimson Guard. A mercenary company headed by Prince K'azz. Yet we hardly ever hear from them in Erikson's novels except a meagre squad led by Iron Bars in Midnight Tides. Where are they? They are in Esslemont's novels! They stick around close to Quon while Erikson's off in Lether. Esslemont's on Quon. We also witness a returning character. Traveler. We see him from the Night of Knives and House of Chains and the Bonehunters. For those of you who read Night of Knives you'll know VERY WELL who Traveler's secret Identity is. Shhh! Don't tell! Keep it to yourself!

Then after the Bonehunters and their allies' long and arduous voyage on the sea, they finally reach Lether, where
Reapers' Gale begins. By Erikson.
It may look like a squel to Midnight Tides, in essense it is. But it takes place after Bonehunters.

And after that we come to Toll the Hounds by Erikson.
We FINALLY return to Genabakis in Darujhistan. It may look like a Squel to Memories of Ice because most are returning characters from this novel but don't be fooled! It takes place Chronologically right before Dust of Dreams and some time after Reapers Gale.

Next we arrive at a thinking puzzle. Stonewielder should be next but it's not out in the United States yet! Tragedy! Oh well. It actually takes place sometime in the middle of Dust of Dreams and Crippled God. intertwining. So there should be no problem.

Next is Dust of Dreams by Erikson.
Ending on a cliffhanger with no epliloge continued by
The Crippled God. no prologue but an epilogue it has. Ganoes Paran returns in Crippled God! Rejoice! So does dear Kalam Mekhar.

I hope I havent spoiled much and have only enticed inspiration to read all of the malazan series!

"It's Noto Boil" - Noto Boil
"Coulda fooled Me." - Ganoes Paran.

#8 User is offline   lumo 

• Recruit

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

I'm still on my first read through of GotM. Should I really read the books in the order sufggested in this thread or go by the list in the book? I haven't read the post by The Sword as he kinda summarizes the books or should I read the order that Ansible suggested?

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

Just go by the order in ansible's post. If you'd been following the series from the beginning, that's the order you would have read them in, because that's the order in which they were published.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users