Malazan Empire: Winter's Heart (Spoilerific) - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winter's Heart (Spoilerific) AKA this one was better

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

Okay, just finishing up with this one.

A HUGE improvement over TPOD for me.

First off..MAT! BIG GIANT AWESOME CHAPTERS avec Mat!

Sorry....lol

Okay.

The good:

Enter Tuon, fabled, prophesied, shaved head, Mat's future wife, Daughter Of The Nine Moons..and she's cool. She's not crazy cool, just kind of cool. The revelation scene where the other Seanchan realize he's basically nabbed her was pretty hilarious.

Perrin's chapters aren't as bad as they could be and overall he didn't annoy like he's been doing of late.

Rand is still crazy as shit, but now he's added his 3 sexed up ladies. Bonding to all three of them eh? Sigh. Rand. You're dreaming if you think this is gonna work.

Elayne....wowzers, that was kinda...slutty of her. Not in a bad way, in a...that's kinda hot how she asked for help getting her dress off, way.

Nynaeve! Yay, she continues to impress me everytime she's onscreen. Loves it!

Rand killing off most of the traitorous Asha'man, which was something I was glad to finally be cleared up.

The Bad:

Faile's chapters, while not horrible, did still kind of grate on me.

There were a few long chapters that seemed mostly filler.

Anything to do with the Sea Folk. I don't care. I hate the Sea Folk.

I am still not gonna buy this way that Jordan keeps trying to tell me that the Seanchan slavery thing is not so bad and even through that chapter with Tuon where it almost feels as if there is an attempt at justification (or it's not so bad). I am fully aware that the point is to make the Seanchan seem less bad in lieu of the Dark One and Forsaken ect...but still.

The AWESOME:

Hands down, best scene in the whole damned book. Lan and Rand escaping and Lan slipping. When Lan says to let him go and Rand says "When the sun turns green"....man, Rand earned A LOT of brownie point for that. Such heroics! LOVED it.

Also, Cleansing saidin! Whoa. That's pretty damn cool, and something I was under the impression would not happen. Not that I didn't see it coming....but that I felt Jordan enjoyed his whole "The male half drives you insane if you use it" thing too much to let it go away. Colour me pleased though as it's a nice turn of events.

That's pretty much it for this one. Much more meat in this one, thought there was still filler. Enjoyed though.

:p

Now, onto the book that everyone deems is the worst time-waster of the bunch.

*must fight urge to have Illy tell me the big plot development so I can skip it*
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

Well, if you'd rather not have it spoiled, then don't look in here.
Spoiler

oh god spoiler doesn't even make sense as a word anymore

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 02 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 02 December 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

Well, if you'd rather not have it spoiled, then don't look in here.
Spoiler

oh god spoiler doesn't even make sense as a word anymore

Spoiler

#4 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

Wow, even less happens in CoT than I thought. Must have been bits of WH & KoD spilling over into it in my mind to fill the void of empty verbiage.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Question:

As of WH, now that Saidin is cleansed....do men still need to "seize" it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

Yep, though it's a lot more palatable now the Marmite Dark One's Taint Marmite (I was right the first time) has been removed.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 02 December 2010 - 07:28 PM, said:

Yep, though it's a lot more palatable now the Marmite Dark One's Taint Marmite (I was right the first time) has been removed.

Hehe. Marmite. LOL

#8 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 December 2010 - 05:03 PM, said:

Elayne....wowzers, that was kinda...slutty of her. Not in a bad way, in a...that's kinda hot how she asked for help getting her dress off, way.

Gah, I hate that word.

Rand killing off most of the traitorous Asha'man, which was something I was glad to finally be cleared up.

lol.

I am still not gonna buy this way that Jordan keeps trying to tell me that the Seanchan slavery thing is not so bad and even through that chapter with Tuon where it almost feels as if there is an attempt at justification (or it's not so bad). I am fully aware that the point is to make the Seanchan seem less bad in lieu of the Dark One and Forsaken ect...but still.

I don't think he's trying to make it seem as though slavery isn't bad at all. More like he's trying to show that not everyone who is brainwashed in a society with slavery is inherently evil.

As of WH, now that Saidin is cleansed....do men still need to "seize" it?

Yup, it's the nature of saidin (which reflects some of RJ's old-fashioned gender views, but oh well).

Don't skip CoT. You read quick enough that it won't be an issue.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

View PostTerez, on 02 December 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

Gah, I hate that word.

I assume you mean slutty. Sorry. My gf and her friends call each other sluts as a way of taking the vitriol out of it...so I'm just used to hearing it.

Sorry, meant no offense.

#10 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 December 2010 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 02 December 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

Gah, I hate that word.

I assume you mean slutty. Sorry. My gf and her friends call each other sluts as a way of taking the vitriol out of it...so I'm just used to hearing it.

Sorry, meant no offense.

It's okay. I know that girls invented the word. That doesn't make it any less vicious or discriminatory. It's part of why I hate the word.

There it is.

#11 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

So did CoT kill you or something? I would recommend Leigh Butler's re-read blog - she's covering CoT right now - but it includes spoilers up to book 13.

There it is.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

View PostTerez, on 13 December 2010 - 05:08 PM, said:

So did CoT kill you or something? I would recommend Leigh Butler's re-read blog - she's covering CoT right now - but it includes spoilers up to book 13.

Nope, not at all. After two WoT books in a row I took a break and read Return Of The Crimson Guard and I'm currently doing a Star Wars Fate Of The Jedi book....I'll likely be trying CoT later this week....but if it bests me I may just spoiler it for myself and skip onto KoD. LOL. I'm gonna try though, promise...

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

I got you covered at the top there, so no worries.

#14 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

The break is probably a really good idea - that way you can read COT and KOD as if they are one book. The one essentially sets up the other.

There it is.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

Thanks folks, we'll see how it goes. I'm just excited to be getting TGS and TOM for Christmas hopefully!

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

It doesn't get a thread.....CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT that is.

100 pages and I wanted to shoot myself.

That's it Jordan, CoT gets 100 pages.

I've already read Illy's spoiler for the book, and I am satisfied I can go straight onto KoD without much annoyance.

Seriously I tried....If I read all of CoT it might put me off the series for a while...so it's better this way, trust me.

So onto KoD which I may be getting as a Christmas gift.

#17 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2010 - 01:38 PM, said:

That's mostly prologue, right? I'd say it's pointless to sikp the whole book. Illy's summary was action-based, and action is not the only thing worth reading. Skip Perrin's chapters, and Elayne's if you like. I would suggest reading these chapters because they are both enjoyable and important:

1-3 Mat chapters
4 - This chapters is interesting and the character becomes very important later on.
10 - This chapter pretty much sums up Elayne's and Aviendha's importance in this book, and has some important info on the Rings of Rhuidean used by Moiraine in TFOH.
12 - Elayne makes a bargain with the Sea Folk that is important later.
13 - You meet the first four High Seats to support Elayne, one of whom is Rand's cousin.
14 - Important info on Elayne's pregnancy.
15 - Elenia POV, which is pretty informative.
16-20 - Egwene chapters, and good stuff despite the lack of action.
21 - Definitely read this. Just do it. Alviarin POV.
22 - Pevara POV. Very important.
23-24 - Cadsuane/Rand chapters (the only ones in the whole book besides the epilogue)
27 - A Perrin chapter, but definitely a must-read.
28-29 - Mat chapters
30 - Egwene chapter, very important.
Epilogue

All this is from memory based on the table of contents, but I think it's pretty accurate.

There it is.

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

View PostTerez, on 20 December 2010 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2010 - 01:38 PM, said:

That's mostly prologue, right? I'd say it's pointless to sikp the whole book. Illy's summary was action-based, and action is not the only thing worth reading. Skip Perrin's chapters, and Elayne's if you like. I would suggest reading these chapters because they are both enjoyable and important:

1-3 Mat chapters
4 - This chapters is interesting and the character becomes very important later on.
10 - This chapter pretty much sums up Elayne's and Aviendha's importance in this book, and has some important info on the Rings of Rhuidean used by Moiraine in TFOH.
12 - Elayne makes a bargain with the Sea Folk that is important later.
13 - You meet the first four High Seats to support Elayne, one of whom is Rand's cousin.
14 - Important info on Elayne's pregnancy.
15 - Elenia POV, which is pretty informative.
16-20 - Egwene chapters, and good stuff despite the lack of action.
21 - Definitely read this. Just do it. Alviarin POV.
22 - Pevara POV. Very important.
23-24 - Cadsuane/Rand chapters (the only ones in the whole book besides the epilogue)
27 - A Perrin chapter, but definitely a must-read.
28-29 - Mat chapters
30 - Egwene chapter, very important.
Epilogue

All this is from memory based on the table of contents, but I think it's pretty accurate.

I don't know if all this outweighs my urge to throw the damn thing across the room. LOL.

#19 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

lol, it's up to you, obviously. If you want, you can scatter-read those chapters, the ones that look the most interesting. But Mat chapters are always enjoyable IMO, so that might be a good place to start. Or perhaps the one Perrin chapter I suggested.

There it is.

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Though I do trust you somewhat in respect to WoT...so maybe I'll pick it up again....grrrr...it makes me so unhappy though. LOL

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users