Malazan Empire: Hot and Cold Iron - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hot and Cold Iron can anyone find me a decent quote ?

#1 User is offline   ThelomenToblakai 

• Knight in Chains
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

I was looking for a good Hot Iron vs Cold Iron quote but cannot find one, anyone got any ideas as to a decent one. The main one i can remember is Sha'ik and L'oric and Mathok discussing it but i was wondering if there was any others.
"Had I known the door was barred, I would of knocked first. That was a damned Thelomen Toblakai."

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

That is the best quote in the series regarding the notion of cold iron and hot iron.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

It's in part 4 of House of Chains, or late part 3. I think late part 3, actually.
Right before they realize they need Leoman back.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:39 AM

'Malazan military doctrine—something Coltaine well understood, but also something
that High Fist Pormqual had clearly lost sight of. Tactics are consensual. Dassem Ultor's
original doctrine, when he was finally made First Sword of the Malazan Empire. "Strategy
belongs to the commander, but tactics are the first field of battle, and it is fought in the
command tent." Dassem's own words. Of course, such a system relied heavily upon
capable officers. Incompetent officers - such as those that subsequently infiltrated the
chain of—'
'Nobleborn officers, you mean.'
'Bluntly, yes. The purchasing of commissions - Dassem would never have permitted
that, and from what I gather, nor does the Empress. Not any more, in any case. There
was a cull—'
'Yes, I know, L'oric. By your argument, then, Tavore's personality has no relevance—'
'Not entirely, mistress. It has, for tactics are the child of strategy. And the truth of
Tavore's nature will shape that strategy. Veteran soldiers speak of hot iron and cold iron.
Coltaine was cold iron. Dujek Onearm is cold iron, too, although not always - he's a rare
one in being able to shift as necessity demands. But Tavore? Unknown.'
'Explain this "cold iron", L'oric.'
'Mistress, this subject is not my expertise—'
'You have certainly fooled me. Explain. Now.'
'Very well, such as I understand it—'
'Cease equivocating.'
He cleared his throat, then turned and called out, 'Mathok. Would you join us,
please.'
Sha'ik scowled at the presumption behind that invitation, but then inwardly relented.
This is important, after all. I feel it. The heart of all that will follow. 'Join us, Mathok,' she
said.
He dismounted and strode over.
L'oric addressed him. 'I have been asked to explain "cold iron", Warchief, and for this
I need help.'
The desert warrior bared his teeth. 'Cold iron. Coltaine. Dassem Ultor - if the legends
speak true. Dujek Onearm. Admiral Nok. K'azz D'Avore of the Crimson Guard. Inish
Garn, who once led the Gral. Cold iron, Chosen One. Hard. Sharp. It is held before you,
and so you reach.' He crossed his arms.
'You reach,' L'oric nodded. 'Yes, that's it. You reach. And are stuck fast.'
'Cold iron,' Mathok growled. 'The warchief's soul - it either rages with the fire of life,
or is cold with death. Chosen One, Korbolo Dom is hot iron, as am I. As are you. We are
as the sun's fires, as the desert's heat, as the breath of the Whirlwind Goddess herself.'
'The Army of the Apocalypse is hot iron.'
'Aye, Chosen One. And thus, we must pray that the forge of Tavore's heart blazes
with vengeance.'
'That she too is hot iron? Why?'
'For then, we shall not lose.'
Sha'ik's knees suddenly weakened and she almost staggered. L'oric moved close to
support her, alarm on his face.
'Mistress?'
'I am… I am all right. A moment…' She fixed her gaze on Mathok once more, saw the
brief gauging regard in his eyes that then quickly slipped once again behind his
impassive mien. 'Warchief, what if Tavore is cold iron?'
The deadliest clash of all, Chosen One. Which shall shatter first?'
L'oric said, 'Military histories reveal, mistress, that cold iron defeats hot iron more
often than not. By a count of three or four to one.'
'Yet Coltaine! Did he not fall to Korbolo Dom?'
She noted L'oric's eyes meet Mathok's momentarily.
'Well?' she demanded.
'Chosen One,' Mathok rumbled, 'Korbolo Dom and Coltaine fought nine major
engagements - nine battles - on the Chain of Dogs. Of these, Korbolo was clear victor in
one, and one only. At the Fall. Outside the walls of Aren. And for that he needed Kamist
Reloe, and the power of Mael, as channelled through the jhistal priest, Mallick Rel.'
Her head was spinning, panic ripping through her, and she knew L'oric could feel her
trembling.
'Sha'ik,' he whispered, close by her ear, 'you know Tavore, don't you? You know her,
and she is cold iron, isn't she?'
Mute, she nodded. She did not know how she knew, for neither Mathok nor L'oric
seemed able to give a concrete definition, suggesting to her that the notion derived from
a gut level, a place of primal instinct. And so, she knew.
L'oric had lifted his head. 'Mathok.'
'High Mage?'
'Who, among us, is cold iron? Is there anyone?'
'There are two, High Mage. And one of these is capable of both: Toblakai.'
'And the other?'
'Leoman of the Flails.'

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

'Well, that's the walk, isn't it? This march. We deliver them to that battle, we do that
much, if we can. Then we see what kind of iron they're holding.'
'Iron,' Strings smiled. 'It's been a long time since I last heard that saying. Since we're
looking for revenge, you'll want it hot, I expect.'
'You expect wrong. Look at Tavore - there won't be any heat from her. In that she's
just like Coltaine. It's obvious, Fiddler. The iron needs to be cold. Cold. We get it cold
enough, who knows, we might earn ourselves a name.'
Strings reached across the fire and tapped the finger bone hanging from Cuttle's belt.
'We've made a start, I think.'
'We might have at that, Sergeant. Them and the standards. A start. She knows what's
in her, give her that. She knows what's in her.'
'And it's for us to bring it out into view.'
'Aye, Fid, it is at that. Now, go away. These are the hours I spend alone.'
Nodding, the sergeant climbed to his feet. 'Seems I might be able to sleep after all.'
'It's my scintillating conversation what's done you in.'
'So it was.'
As Strings made his way to his small tent, something of Cuttle's words came back to
him. Iron. Cold iron. Yes, it's in her. And now I'd better search and search hard… to find
it in me.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#6 User is offline   ThelomenToblakai 

• Knight in Chains

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

They are the quotes i was looking for thanks.
"Had I known the door was barred, I would of knocked first. That was a damned Thelomen Toblakai."

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

I always liked this concept and the way it characterizes the various military engagements that follow in HoC and even later in the series (no spoilers).
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   ThelomenToblakai 

• Knight in Chains

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

Aye, its a great concept, very well thought out.

#9 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

I agree. But the OP asked if it was explained or discussed anywhere else as well. I for my part can't remember any other quote for it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users