Malazan Empire: CRIPPLED GOD SYNOPSIS - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CRIPPLED GOD SYNOPSIS from Pat's Hotlist - some SPOILERS - discuss Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bob_Vernen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Pat's blog has the blurb for The Crippled God!

Here's the blurb:

Savaged by the K'Chain Nah'Ruk, the Bonehunters march for Kolanse, where waits an unknown fate. Tormented by questions, the army totters on the edge of mutiny, but Adjunct Tavore will not relent. One final act remains, if it is in her power, if she can hold her army together, if the shaky allegiances she has forged can survive all that is to come. A woman with no gifts of magic, deemed plain, unprepossessing, displaying nothing to instill loyalty or confidence, Tavore Paran of House Paran means to challenge the gods – if her own troops don't kill her first.

Awaiting Tavore and her allies are the Forkrul Assail, the final arbiters of humanity. Drawing upon an alien power terrible in its magnitude, they seek to cleanse the world, to annihilate every human, every civilization, in order to begin anew. They welcome the coming conflagration of slaughter, for it shall be of their own devising, and it pleases them to know that, in the midst of the enemies gathering against them, there shall be betrayal.

In the realm of Kurald Galain, home to the long lost city of Kharkanas, a mass of refugees stand upon the First Shore. Commanded by Yedan Derryg, the Watch, they await the breaching of Lightfall, and the coming of the Tiste Liosan. This is a war they cannot win, and they will die in the name of an empty city and a queen with no subjects.

Elsewhere, the three Elder Gods, Kilmandaros, Errastas and Sechul Lath, work to shatter the chains binding Korabas, the Otataral Dragon, from her eternal prison. Once freed, she will rise as a force of devastation, and against her no mortal can stand. At the Gates of Starvald Demelain, the Azath House sealing the portal is dying. Soon will come the Eleint, and once more, there will be dragons in the world.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Nice find Bob but I don't know why you posted this in a white font. Here's a version you can actually read

Here's the blurb:

Savaged by the K'Chain Nah'Ruk, the Bonehunters march for Kolanse, where waits an unknown fate. Tormented by questions, the army totters on the edge of mutiny, but Adjunct Tavore will not relent. One final act remains, if it is in her power, if she can hold her army together, if the shaky allegiances she has forged can survive all that is to come. A woman with no gifts of magic, deemed plain, unprepossessing, displaying nothing to instill loyalty or confidence, Tavore Paran of House Paran means to challenge the gods – if her own troops don't kill her first.

Awaiting Tavore and her allies are the Forkrul Assail, the final arbiters of humanity. Drawing upon an alien power terrible in its magnitude, they seek to cleanse the world, to annihilate every human, every civilization, in order to begin anew. They welcome the coming conflagration of slaughter, for it shall be of their own devising, and it pleases them to know that, in the midst of the enemies gathering against them, there shall be betrayal.

In the realm of Kurald Galain, home to the long lost city of Kharkanas, a mass of refugees stand upon the First Shore. Commanded by Yedan Derryg, the Watch, they await the breaching of Lightfall, and the coming of the Tiste Liosan. This is a war they cannot win, and they will die in the name of an empty city and a queen with no subjects.

Elsewhere, the three Elder Gods, Kilmandaros, Errastas and Sechul Lath, work to shatter the chains binding Korabas, the Otataral Dragon, from her eternal prison. Once freed, she will rise as a force of devastation, and against her no mortal can stand. At the Gates of Starvald Demelain, the Azath House sealing the portal is dying. Soon will come the Eleint, and once more, there will be dragons in the world.

Interesting stuff.

So the Bonehunters are still around, can't wait to here how the hell they made it out alive. Did the Nahruk just stop and chose not to pursue the armies retreat?

Why is the First Shore threatened by the Liosan? With the return of Mother Dark, you would expect that they wouldn't dare attack. But then again, with her return, does that mean that Father Light has now returned as well and he's sent his children to kick some bastard ass?

This sections confuses me though:

Once freed, she [the O-dragon] will rise as a force of devastation, and against her no mortal can stand.

Why did they chose this way to phrase it? No mortal? This has to be significant. What if it's not a mortal. I assume that some bad ass Ascendant is just going to lob her head of then on the last page.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 09 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

#3 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 August 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

Why did they chose this way to phrase it? No mortal? This has to be significant.

I dunno, I've never put much stock in jacket blurbs. Granted, the Malazan ones (ICE's and SE's) have been fairly accurate, but so many other books have blurbs that are either misleading or flat-out erroneous. I know that typically it's the marketing department that comes up with them. Does anyone know if it's different with the Malazan books?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

The author doesn't make the blurb? That's weird. You'd think the author would want to have a hand in the first contact between the reader and the book.

#5 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

so the Kettle Azath is already dying?
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#6 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 August 2010 - 03:53 PM, said:

The author doesn't make the blurb? That's weird. You'd think the author would want to have a hand in the first contact between the reader and the book.

sounds like headlines in US newspapers. The author has no control whatsoever of the headlines on their own stories.

This post has been edited by foolio: 09 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Well books are a hell of a lot more personal products than a big news paper. Also a couple hundred word blurb is different from a headline.

Back on topic, yeah I found it curious that the Refugium Azath was dying already. Is Scabby poisoning it from the inside? Is there an outside influence?

#8 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

I'm new to forums, and I have not heard of a blurby before, can someon explain?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#9 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

My understanding is also that the blurbs are (almost) never written by the authors. I assume that's because it's the publisher's job to sell books (so they want to entice you), and the author is concerned with the story (and he doesn't want to spoil anything).

As for the blurb itself, well, it's not what I expected.

Not that I really had any expectations.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#10 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

View PostTattersail, on 09 August 2010 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'm new to forums, and I have not heard of a blurby before, can someon explain?

It's the summary on the back of the book (or the inside of the jacket).
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#11 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

First thing - pls, put huge SPOILER in name of topic, someone can open it from curiosity what is it about character of CG and instantly reads about BHs devastated by Nahruk.

Second...well, let assume that it is based on facts from tCG, but phrases like "no mortal..." are rather blurbspeak...
But facts are:

BH are alive - not surprising, we almost knew someone survived...but they are probably even more pissed off on Tavore. 
No word of Bolkando allies (but that means nothing)
FA are probably rather using CG than being used by him.
Liosan wants to attack Shore...wtf?? It looked like peaceful reunion...
OT is named Korabas (I didnt know it)...and someone will have to throw Heboric at her.
Azath sealing SD is dying... ??? ... is it really "Kettle"? It looks to early to be dying away.

And lets put known prologue with Cotillion into place...is he coming against Killy, SL and Errasbitch? 

This post has been edited by Ulrik: 09 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#12 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostUlrik, on 09 August 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

No word of Bolkando allies (but that means nothing)

I imagine that's one of the "shaky allegiances" mentioned?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

sounds like its gonna be a real barn-burner!

everywhere you turn annihilation beckons!

note also, no mention of the snake, or ryadd and silchas, or olar ethil, so much as this blurb seems to tell a lot, it really doesn't tell half as much as you think it does. everyone already assumed some bonehunters had survived, and thanks to yeddan's adventures we knew both the FA and TL were gonna be stepping into the fray, perhaps with similar goals.

gah do we actually still have six months to wait for this thing?!?!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Elsewhere, the three Elder Gods, Kilmandaros, Errastas and Sechul Lath

damn, so the errant was not permanantly screwed up as I hoped....

Apt

Back on topic, yeah I found it curious that the Refugium Azath was dying already. Is Scabby poisoning it from the inside? Is there an outside influence?

yeah this is kind of puzzling to me. Didnt think this would be a story line from tCG....Could be kettle had become too human....could be anything. Amybe it the FA part of her having ulterior motives?

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 August 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

Why did they chose this way to phrase it? No mortal? This has to be significant.

i read somewhere in an SE interview that all the other resurrections have been leading up to a final one, no mortals can stand against? Maybe not mortals, but a grand rebirth... Tiam!

this is going to be one mother fucker of a convergence, i cannot wait!

edit

also... i wonder where this betrayal is going to come from - was a big discussion for DoD and since it's on this blurb, going to be hella important!

This post has been edited by champooon: 09 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

This blurb just doesn't feel right to me. No sir, I don't like it.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#17 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

So the cliffhanger was pretty pointless, wasn't it :D?

//edit: I am hyped btw.

This post has been edited by Harvester: 09 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

#18 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Can't wait!
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#19 User is offline   Knight of Darkness 

• Knight of High House Dark

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

Yeddan kicking some Tiste Liosan and Forkrul Assail ass - not exactly peaceful :D

On a different note: Can't. Wait. To. Be. MINDBLOWN.

This post has been edited by Knight of Darkness: 09 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

'None could guess my confusion, my host of deluded illusions and elusive delusions! A mantle of marble hiding a crumbling core of sandstone. See how they stare at me, wondering -all wondering- at my secret wellspring of wisdom...'
'Let's kill him,' Crokus muttered, 'if only to put him out of our misery.'

#20 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

View PostKnight of Darkness, on 09 August 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yeddan kicking some Tiste Liosan and Forkrul Assail ass - not exactly peaceful :D

On a different note: Can't. Wait. To. Be. MINDBLOWN.

But (IIRC) it was before end of their journey... but yeah, Liosan are pretty vengeful dudes:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users