• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meeting Steven Erikson

#1 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong place; I admit I find these boards a little confusing, what with each book having a separate forum (very wise, though!). But I met and talked with the man himself today and if there's a thread where one can post about such experiences, forgive me and I'll comply to any punishment you feel necessary.

ANYWAY.

I am in no way a long-time, hardcore Malazan-fan, but it feels like I am turning into one. I am still only at Midnight Tides, but my respect for Erikson and his work is growing by the day. It is the fanboy awakening.
And today he was in Oslo, Norway for a signing session as well as a Q&A session and I would like to share that experience from the point of view of a recent convert.

My impression of the man is:
A warm, intelligent, profound man. I really liked what he had to say, how he answered questions from the audience, and how he read excerpts from The Crippled God.

What he did:
First, there was a signing session. I brought my paperback versions of Deadhouse Gates and House of Chains, the first because the cover has light colors (I expected him to sign the cover - hey, it was my first author signing, I have only had bands sign CDs and stuff and they always sign the covers), the second because it is my favorite so far. At the venue, I dug up the last copy of the 10th Anniversary Edition of Gardens of the Moon (they said they were sold out, but I found one neatly hidden beneath a shelf). He signed all three for me, and I had a brief chat with him about writing dialogue. He also asked what my son's name is (I have a four year old who was there for a few moments lol before his mother took him to a nearby toy store while I had my geek moment). Did he want to hear a name from his books, or was he just being polite? I don't know ^^
I told him I loved Tehol Beddict and Bugg's banter, and he agreed with me that Midnight Tides is kinda really different from the others. Oh, and then he said, wait til you get to Toll the Hounds. I told him I've been warned :D

After the signing, he did a reading, and I loved every minute of it. There were excerpts from The Crippled God, a monologue from a character whose name I didn't catch and haven't heard of yet, and he had a lot to say about Kallor the High King. What I liked best was when he read some of the poems he uses to introduce his chapters. He read them in such a profound way, it was deep baby. When he read a poem from The Crippled God which he said was hard to write (or read, I am not sure what he meant), I was convinced the man is brilliant. Hearing him read it was way different from reading it myself, and it was kind of easier to see the layers of meaning he weaved into it. I had a sense of antireligiosity from that particular poem, but that was probably just my interpretation.
Unfortunately, the venue was full of people not there for Erikson specifically, and they made a lot of noise, making it hard to catch the details to relate to you. But I was impressed.

After the reading, there was a (relatively short) Q&A session. Lots of good questions, and enjoyable answers. Let's see what I remember.

My own two questions -
I asked him about the Lether Empire and where he found inspiration/influence for it. He kind of understood that I insinuated that Lether was a criticism of the USA, and explained that, in fact, Lether came to him while driving through Dakota (north or south, I don't remember), and saw all these relics from the Indian tribes hanging around houses - "loot", as he called it - and how he thought about it - what if the USA hadn't been able to conquer the Indian tribes; what if the Indians had some power to take control of the USA instead? What would happen? And would the Tiste Edur / Indians be able to hold on to their victory?
It was a very interesting, and surprising, answer. He seems to put some serious thought into his creation, oh am I turning into a fanboy or what.

My second question I think took him a little by surprise, I don't know. I asked him whether speculative science, like the ancient astronaut theory, had any influence on his works. At first he said flat out no, but thinking about it, he did say that yes, maybe historically there has been more advanced technology which has become myth become magic. If you know what I mean. Sorry. Too much Heineken this evening.

Other questions/answers I remember:

- Who would win a duel of wits between Kruppe and Tehol Beddict?
- He didn't know. But he said he had seen lots of these "fights" online.

- Will you write more Malazan stories?
- Two more trilogies, more Korbal Broach & Bauchelain, I.C.E is writing Stonewielder and may revisit the character of Silverfox

- What inspired the Chain of Dogs / Coltaine storyline?
- Shit, what did he say? Something about a British army in Algerie? I think so lol.

..that's all I can remember right now. Damn beer. Mmmm beer. There was a guy in front, obviously a big fan, who had some great questions but they are all lost to my addled brain.

Picture here:
http://agot10th.blog...ing-steven.html
Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

AWESOME!

Insights into The Crippled God are most, most welcome!

Thanks a lot and welcome to the forums!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

he had a lot to say about Kallor the High King.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

I wish I could tell you guys in more detail just what he read from The Crippled God, but as I haven't come as far myself, it was kind of hard to latch onto his words. He just conjured up this dreamscape for me, and I was lost in it :D
He read a fairly long internal monologue from the POV of the Crippled God himself, and I remember some fragments, a few words really.. sorry.
Oh well, off to bed and Midnight Tides :p
(That's my fave title btw)

#5 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

Hey, wait, I remember something else. Probably old news to you guys, news as hoary as Kallor himself, but Erikson confirmed that there would be a printed encyclopedia of all things Malazan, which would be so comprehensive it can be used as a sourcebook for a roleplaying game.
A guy in the crowd asked about whether Erikson would write a "meta"-book explaining the intricacies of sorcery and stuff, and then he talked about this sourcebook-thingy.
He talked a bit about his RPG days too, and the characters he played. He played Kruppe, Mallick, and one more I forgot the name heheh.

#6 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

Oh yes, he's a genius, hands down. I finished Dust of Dreams yesterday and... and... HOLY F*CK!

#7 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

View PostSlynt in the Shadows, on 19 June 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

I wish I could tell you guys in more detail just what he read from The Crippled God, but as I haven't come as far myself, it was kind of hard to latch onto his words. He just conjured up this dreamscape for me, and I was lost in it :D
He read a fairly long internal monologue from the POV of the Crippled God himself, and I remember some fragments, a few words really.. sorry.
Oh well, off to bed and Midnight Tides :p
(That's my fave title btw)

Oh my, you're saying we'll finally be in the head of the twisted wreck himself? I can hardly wait. I'm sure it will be great.

As for the Encyclopedia it's good to know he's sticking to it.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#8 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

It was fairly poetic. I got this feeling of contempt; there was something about people pitying him.. or so I recall it. Maybe there are other Norwegian fans around here who can fill in

#9 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:46 AM

That's awesome, man. I'm jealous. Of all of my favorite writers, he's probably the one I want to meet/hear read the most. From what I've heard of him, he just seems really friendly and humble.

PoV from the Crippled God, sweet! I suppose I should have expected it, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#10 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

When you said SE had a lot to say about Kallor, did you mean that Kallor will appear in The Crippled God?

#11 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Cheers for the info about Erikson, l never really read any of the poems he put into the books, but from the way you described them maybe l should give them a try on my next re-read.

Read this question off your blog

'Have you noticed how your sales are going up the longer GRRM procrastinates?'

I would have loved to hear his answer to that question........

This post has been edited by lobo the wolfman: 20 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#12 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 June 2010 - 09:47 PM, said:

he had a lot to say about Kallor the High King.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

YEE-FUCKING-HAW KALLOR FTW
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

Are you gonna cry at the end of The Crippled God?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

I'll probably cry half a dozen times during that book. I get all emotional when people get killed in gorious detail.

#15 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

View Postworrywort, on 20 June 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

Of course.

#16 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4pvgPSjhTjY
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#17 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

I.C.E is writing Stonewielder and may revisit the character of Silverfox

Is there any way around it? Leaving her out of the Assail novel would be weird.

Oh man, I am fired up now. I want those books!

Drat, still so many years.

This post has been edited by Harvester: 20 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

#18 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

View PostSlynt in the Shadows, on 19 June 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

Hey, wait, I remember something else. Probably old news to you guys, news as hoary as Kallor himself, but Erikson confirmed that there would be a printed encyclopedia of all things Malazan, which would be so comprehensive it can be used as a sourcebook for a roleplaying game.
A guy in the crowd asked about whether Erikson would write a "meta"-book explaining the intricacies of sorcery and stuff, and then he talked about this sourcebook-thingy.
He talked a bit about his RPG days too, and the characters he played. He played Kruppe, Mallick, and one more I forgot the name heheh.

totally sweet. i love a good thick sourcebook, the more comprehensive the better :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Welcome Slynt. Excellent arrival-post and thanx muchly for it. And also i hate you and will be requiring your brainz for scanning and specific recall excision. Don't worry, we put it all back at the end and the scars are hardly visible to your kids until they grow up taller than you. And the drool is charming, really.

I am going to be such a wreck reading that book. I may actually take a vacation day specifically to read it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 June 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

Welcome Slynt. Excellent arrival-post and thanx muchly for it. And also i hate you and will be requiring your brainz for scanning and specific recall excision. Don't worry, we put it all back at the end and the scars are hardly visible to your kids until they grow up taller than you. And the drool is charming, really.

I am going to be such a wreck reading that book. I may actually take a vacation day specifically to read it.

I think the saddest thing of all will just be that the series will be over. As much as I'm looking forward to a conclusion, I'm already kinda sad about that.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users