Malazan Empire: New Excerpt from The Crippled God (Slight Spoilers) - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Excerpt from The Crippled God (Slight Spoilers) from SE's Life as a Human Blog Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

Pulled this from HERE:

White as bone, the butterflies formed a vast cloud overhead. Again and again their swirling mass dimmed the sun with a blessed gift of shadow that moments later broke apart, proving that curses hid in every gift, and that blessings could pass in the blink of an eye.

An eye swarming with flies. Badalle could feel and indeed see them clustering at the corners; she could feel them drinking her tears. She did not resent their need, and their frenzied crawl and buzz felt cool against her scorched cheeks. Those that crowded her mouth she ate when she could, the taste bitter when she crushed them, the wings like patches of dry skin almost impossible to swallow.

Since the Shards had left, only the butterflies and the flies remained, and there was something pure in these last two forces. One white, the other black. Only the extremes remained: from the unyielding ground below to the hollow sky above; from the push of life to the pull of death; from the breath hiding within to the last to leave a fallen child.

The flies fed upon the living, but the butterflies waited for the dead. There was nothing in between. Nothing but this walking, the torn feet and the stains they left behind, the figures toppling and then stepped over.

In her head, Badalle was singing. She sensed the presence of others – not those ahead of her or those behind her – but ghostly things. Invisible eyes and veiled thoughts. An impatience, a harsh desire for judgement. As if the Snake’s very existence was an affront. To be ignored. Denied. Fled from.

But she would not permit any to escape. They did not have to like what they saw. They did not have to like her at all. Or Rutt or Held or Saddic or any of the bare thousand still alive. They could rail at her thoughts, at the poetry she found in the heart of suffering, as if it had no meaning to them, no value. No truth. They could do all of that; still she would not let them go.

I am as true as anything you have ever seen. A dying child, abandoned by the world. And I say this: there is nothing truer. Nothing.

Flee from me if you can. I promise I will haunt you. This is my only purpose now, the only one left to me. I am history made alive, holding on but failing. I am everything you would not think of, belly filled and thirst slaked, there in all your comforts surrounded by faces you know and love.

But hear me. Heed my warning. History has claws.

Saddic still carried his hoard. He dragged it behind him. In a sack made of clothes no longer needed by anyone. His treasure trove. His … things. What did he want with them? What meaning hid inside that sack? All those stupid bits, the shiny stones, the pieces of wood. And the way, with every dusk, when they could walk no further, he would take them all out to look at them – why did that frighten her?

Sometimes he would weep, for no reason. And make fists as if to crush all his baubles into dust, and it was then that she realized that Saddic didn’t know what they meant either. But he wouldn’t leave them behind. That sack would be the death of him.

She imagined the moment when he fell. This boy she would have liked for a brother. Onto his knees, hands all entwined in the cloth sleeves, falling forward so that his face struck the ground. He’d try to get back up, but he’d fail. And the flies would swarm him until he was no longer even visible, just a seething, glittering blackness. Where Saddic had been.

They’d eat his last breath. Drink the last tears from his eyes which now just stared. Into his open mouth to make it dry as a cave, a spider hole. And then the swarm would explode, rush away seeking more of life’s sweet water. And down would descend the butterflies. To strip away his skin, and the thing left – with its sack – would no longer be Saddic.

Saddic will be gone. Happy Saddic. Peaceful Saddic, a ghost hovering, looking down at that sack. I would have words for him, for his passing. I would stand over him, looking down at all those fluttering wings so like leaves, and I would try, one more time, to make sense of the sack, the sack that killed him.

And I would fail. Making my words few. Weak. A song of unknowing. All I have for my brother Saddic.

When that time comes, I will know it is time for me to die, too. When that time comes, I will give up.

And so she sang. A song of knowing. The most powerful song of all.

They had a day left, maybe two.

Is this what I wanted? Every journey must end. Out here there is nothing but ends. No beginnings left. Out here, I have nothing but claws.

“Badalle.” The word was soft, like crumpled cloth and she felt it brush her senses.

“Rutt.”

“I can’t do this anymore.”

“But you are, Rutt. The head of the Snake. And Held, who is the tongue.”

“No. I can’t. I have gone blind.”

She moved up alongside him, studied his old man’s face. “They’re swollen,” she said. “Closed up, Rutt. It’s to keep them safe. Your eyes.”

“But I can’t see –”

“There’s nothing to see, Rutt.”

“I can’t lead –”

“For this, there is no-one better.”

“Badalle –”

“Even the stones are gone. Just walk, Rutt. The way is clear, for as far as I can see, it’s clear.”

He loosed a sob. The flies poured in and he bent over, coughing, retching. He stumbled and she caught him before he fell. Rutt righted himself, clutching Held tight. Badalle heard a soft whimper rising from them both.

No water. This is what is killing us now. Squinting, she glanced back. Saddic was nowhere in sight – had he already fallen? If he had, it would be just as well that she’d not seen it. Other faces, vaguely familiar, stared at her and Rutt, waiting for the Snake to begin moving once again. They stood hunched over, tottering. They stood with backs arched and bellies distended as if about to drop a baby. Their eyes were depthless pools where the flies gathered to drink. Sores crusted their noses, their mouths and ears. Skin on cheeks and chin had cracked open and glistened beneath ribbons of flies. Many were bald, missing teeth, their gums bleeding. And Rutt was not alone in being blind.

Our children. See what we have done to them. Our mothers and fathers left us to this, and now we leave them, too, in our turn. There is no end to the generations of the foolish. One after another after another and at some point we all started nodding, thinking this is how it has to be, and so we don’t even try and change things. All we pass down to our children is the same stupid grin.

But I have claws. And I will tear away that grin. I swear it.

“Badalle?”

She had begun singing out loud. Wordless, the tone low and then building, thickening. Until she could feel more than one voice within her, and each in turn joined her song. Filling the air. Their sound was one of horror, a terrible thing – she felt its power growing. Growing.

“Badalle!”

I have claws. I have claws. I have claws. Show me that grin one more time. Show it, I’m begging you! Let me tear it from your face. Let me rip deep, until my talons score your teeth! Let me feel the blood and let me hear the meat splitting and let me see the look in your eyes as you meet mine let me see I have claws I have claws I have claws!

“Badalle!”

Someone struck her, knocked her down. Stunned, she stared up into Saddic’s face, his round, wizened face. And from his eyes red tears tracked down through the dust on his leathery cheeks.

“Don’t cry,” she whispered. “It’s all right, Saddic. Don’t cry.”

Rutt knelt beside her, groped with one hand until his fingers brushed her forehead. “What have you done?”

His tone startled her. The cloth is torn. “They’re all too weak,” she said. “Too weak to feel anger. So I felt it for them – for all of you –” She stopped. Rutt’s fingertips leaked blood. She could feel crystal shards digging into her back. What?

“You moved us,” Saddic said. “It … hurt.”

She could hear wailing now. The Snake was writhing in pain. “I went … I went looking.”

“For what?” Rutt demanded. “For what?”

“For claws.”

Saddic shook his head. “Badalle. We’re children. We don’t have claws.”

The sun dimmed then and she squinted past Saddic. But the butterflies were gone. Flies, look at all the flies.

“We don’t have claws, Badalle.”

“No, Saddic, you’re right. We don’t. But someone does.”

The power of the song still clung to her, fierce as a promise. Someone does. “I’m taking us there,” she said, meeting Saddic’s wide eyes.

He drew back, leaving her to stare up at the sky. Flies, roiling in a massive cloud, black as the Abyss. She clambered to her feet. “Take my hand, Rutt. It’s time to walk.”

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#2 User is offline   Mekeritrig 

• Ishroi Erratic
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

As much as I appreciate any new info, I just wish it weren't about the Snake. It was always a chore to read -- except the part when Badalle had her rap battle -- and I was hoping that SE would somehow just let the Snake disappear from the next book... Alas.

Anyhow, thanks for the sneak peak.
And I will say then/ Every tale is a gift/ And the scars borne by us both/ Are easily missed/ In the distance between us.

"I am Fener's grief. I am the world's grief. And I will hold. I will hold it all, for we are not yet done." Itkovian

#3 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

View PostMekeritrig, on 30 March 2010 - 02:28 PM, said:

As much as I appreciate any new info, I just wish it weren't about the Snake. It was always a chore to read -- except the part when Badalle had her rap battle -- and I was hoping that SE would somehow just let the Snake disappear from the next book... Alas.

Anyhow, thanks for the sneak peak.

Reflects my feelings perfectly.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

“Badalle.” The word was soft, like crumpled cloth and she felt it brush her senses.

“Rutt.”

“I can’t do this anymore.”

“But you are, Rutt. The head of the Snake. And Held, who is the tongue.”

“No. I can’t. I have gone blind.”

She moved up alongside him, studied his old man’s face. “They’re swollen,” she said. “Closed up, Rutt. It’s to keep them safe. Your eyes.”

“But I can’t see –”

“There’s nothing to see, Rutt.”

“I can’t lead –”

“For this, there is no-one better.”

“Badalle –”

“Even the stones are gone. Just walk, Rutt. The way is clear, for as far as I can see, it’s clear.”

He loosed a sob. The flies poured in and he bent over, coughing, retching. He stumbled and she caught him before he fell. Rutt righted himself, clutching Held tight. Badalle heard a soft whimper rising from them both.

this bit right here nearly broke my heart. no surprise you would be so cold... GOTHOS!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

I love Badalle and the Snake and am curious, where their story will lead them :D
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

View PostPuck, on 30 March 2010 - 04:16 PM, said:

I love Badalle and the Snake and am curious, where their story will lead them :D

To the K'chain Che'malle obviously... who else has claws?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostD, on 31 March 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

Lots of people. Gruntle for example. That is who i thought she was talking about.
But clearly could be K'chain, but felt Gruntle suits better.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostD, on 31 March 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

I made a question about this in the "official life as a human blog" thread.

The KCCM have claws, so do the Great Ravens. We've also seen the Shake being born with claws, Poleil had claws, perhaps Soleil does as well? There's also the TTT En'karal champion of the Beast Throne. And for that matter both Togg and Fancy have claws and in connection with them you could say that their servants, the Grey Helm, also have claws. Both physically and spiritually. So does Trake, Gruntle and the followers of the Tiger of Summer.

The claws reference could also be metaphorical. It could simply mean someone with weapons, the Grey Helms, Bonehunters... Jheck?

Or perhaps it is a reference to the character of the one Bellale has taken them to. Someone dangerous or powerful.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 31 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'm happy to see more of the Snake. I really enjoyed that plotline. I can see whay it was offputting to some, but the notion of five thousand or so child refugees trecking across a desert really worked for me.

In DoD Kalyth made a comment that the KC should worship something like "self-sacrifice for others"... i can't remember the exact language but i recall it brought the Snake to mind.

The claws could totally be figurative, but i'm thinking that with the KC looking to become more linked to humans, a few thousand orphaned refugees might be just the thing. It might also take the KC out of the story somewhat, reducing the level of backup available to the surviving Bonehunters going in vs the CG/FA.

- Abyss, now MORE PSYCHED.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

You know who else has claws? Or rather, Claws...

MALLICK REL OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

One thing.

I want the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait untill it arrives.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

Y'know... the pedantic war bear from TtH had claws.

- Abyss, ...is just saying...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:16 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 April 2010 - 04:09 AM, said:

Y'know... the pedantic war bear from TtH had claws.

- Abyss, ...is just saying...

So does Tufty...

*DUN DUN DUN*

This post has been edited by MTS: 01 April 2010 - 04:17 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#14 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:12 AM

I thought the Kalyth one was clearly meant to reference the Bonehunters. I even wondered how she ended up describing them and their aim so clearly, given that she knows nothing about them.

#15 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Oddly enough I didnt mind the Snake, Erikson has a few of these lying around and none of them are/have been/ hopefully will never be as bad as Mhybe. I did however hate the rap battle. There was always gonna be some 'Beaking' in that plotline to make it slightly less tragic and it was obviosly this stupid little poet bitch. In any case if SE is just over half way through i think we might be looking ata slightly later release date. Like OCtober NOvember rather than late August

#16 User is offline   Silannah 

• Possibly the Youngest Here
  • Interests:Sleep, Reading

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

When is it coming out in the US? I honestly have no idea.
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall...

#17 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Flies at the end. Ominous.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#18 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

I think tiam nailed it. The Snake would be even interesting if not for Badalle and her rap powers. It'd be a lot more powerful a storyline if these would be more or less ordinary children, not a child superhero stealing the focus of the entire storyline from the tragic march of death.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#19 User is offline   Erik Raditzky 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading and writing, playing guitar, playing xbox, getting very very drunk and laughing at silly/evil things
  • Love all the People

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

"I thought the Kalyth one was clearly meant to reference the Bonehunters. I even wondered how she ended up describing them and their aim so clearly, given that she knows nothing about them."

-Yeah I got htat impression too, but then, I have been known to be wrong, a lot.

The question I want answered is...

The snake was in Icariums city last I checked, why did they leave? it had, y'know, fruit and stuff, if i was any of them i reckon i'd have stayed there, or at least took some fruit with me. So, I guess what i'm tryin to say is.....Are they idiots? suicidal perhaps? They were safe! now they're dyin again, Methinks Rutt should be impeached!

p.s Gothos, must say I'm lovin the Space Marine rep!! but you should know, The Blood Angels Rule All. FACT!!!

#20 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

like i said before, maybe here, maybe in another thread, thousands of starving children do not understand the concept of rationing. the orchards were probably stripped bare in a matter of days
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users