• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Home Skool cuz I sayd I wud mack a nu thraed

#1 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

So I's been thinking of not letting my kids go to public school, since they suck around here. And (non-religious) private schools within 50 miles that are good are about 100-120k a year, which is just ridiculous. So that leaves me and sister of mine with home schooling our kids with the only mandate being that they can pass the moronic standardized tests. The only real concern I have is the socializing thing, outside of family I don't know people who have kids because... well, I kinda hate kids really, and I switch over to talking about guns/Aliens/sex whenever someone is all 'and this is a picture of when little sammie was two and he ate peanut butter, isn't he so cute!'

Has anyone done it or had it done to them and come out a worthwhile member of society? Or has any strong hateful (or otherwise) feelings about the home schooled they have come across? Or just have suggestions of how to manage the socializing issue if it arises?

This post has been edited by Jusentantaka: 04 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

#2 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

All of the homeschool people i've known have at least one thing in common. Socially awkward.

And a couple were complete douches and didnt know any better.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

Some of the kids I teach band too were home-schooled and they mostly seem okay, just a lot shy-er with most people. With their good friends they are totally normal it would seem, but more quiet and reserved around anyone else. What seems to be working for them is they home-schooled for elementary school and began attending a public high school in grade 9.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

You seem to have a good handle on life. What makes you think home schooling would be better than public school? Unless there's rampant abuses of authority or the children are regularly being injured, most public schools are just fine for kids of good parents. My brothers and I went through the public school system (one with a somewhat gully reputation, but was actually half gully/half suburban). We turned out alright - thanks to our parents all of us were on the honors track and did multiple sports and clubs.

I would argue that the social aspects of going to school - sports, clubs, friends, figuring out boys/girls - are as crucial to an education as learning what's within the textbooks. I recall going to the Johns Hopkins SAT contest thing a few times and meeting the kids there. 98% of the homeschooled kids were WEIRD - like near socially unfunctioning creatures. Maybe they developed a little more over the years, but jeez.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Purely anecdotal but I've worked with several people who were home schooled. They were, as Slow Ben said, socially awkward. They never seemed wholly comfortable working in a group and joking around. A few them were taught by their evangelical parents and had some very peculiar ideas about the world.

#6 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 February 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

You seem to have a good handle on life. What makes you think home schooling would be better than public school? Unless there's rampant abuses of authority or the children are regularly being injured, most public schools are just fine for kids of good parents. My brothers and I went through the public school system (one with a somewhat gully reputation, but was actually half gully/half suburban). We turned out alright - thanks to our parents all of us were on the honors track and did multiple sports and clubs.

H-cake and I went to far different public schools than are around us. For starters the local elementary schools are somehow below the state average, which is pretty damned astounding considering maryland has BALTIMORE in it to weigh down that average. Some states/schools/cities are good, some are wartorn hellholes, and others are just bad for whatever normal reason, mismanagement, less money, more daycare than school, and more. the three local ones I could conceivably chose from have the first three down pretty well. Local High school is pretty good though, so if we're still here in ten years its likely we'll do as D' mentioned.

98% of the homeschooled kids were WEIRD - like near socially unfunctioning creatures. Maybe they developed a little more over the years, but jeez.

You wouldn't happen to know how the last 2% managed to be normal, would you? :(

Sadly, the only home-schooled story I remember from Columbia is unfit to be shared, or even remembered.

A few them were taught by their evangelical parents and had some very peculiar ideas about the world.

Makes me wonder: how many people, finding out someone is home schooled go to 'damn their parents are probably nutjobs'?

This post has been edited by Jusentantaka: 04 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

View PostJusentantaka, on 04 February 2010 - 06:26 PM, said:

A few them were taught by their evangelical parents and had some very peculiar ideas about the world.

Makes me wonder: how many people, finding out someone is home schooled go to 'damn their parents are probably nutjobs'?

unfortunately, the proportion is probably pretty high. do you wanna be known as a nutjob? do you?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   bridgeburner42 

• Recruit

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

I am actually home schooled and I really enjoy it. A good majority of my friends are as well. Though there are some of the stereo typical awkward home schoolers, most of them are totally fine socially. In fact I would say more so than public schooled kids. Since we have a lot more free time to hang out with friends, instead of sitting in a class room all day. The whole issue of "socialization" amongst home schooling is kinda dumb. I mean it's not like we stay home all the time and never get out, we actually have more time to socialize than public school kids. Not to mention avoiding the pathetic education system in most states.

#9 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

View Postbridgeburner42, on 04 February 2010 - 06:53 PM, said:

I am actually home schooled and I really enjoy it. A good majority of my friends are as well. Though there are some of the stereo typical awkward home schoolers, most of them are totally fine socially. In fact I would say more so than public schooled kids. Since we have a lot more free time to hang out with friends, instead of sitting in a class room all day. The whole issue of "socialization" amongst home schooling is kinda dumb. I mean it's not like we stay home all the time and never get out, we actually have more time to socialize than public school kids. Not to mention avoiding the pathetic education system in most states.

Look how cute it is. It dosen't even know that it is a freak.

No, seriously, I think public school is a good idea. If you don't like the the low standards, you can teach your children things too, you know?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#10 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

If socializing is the main problem then make sure your kids join tons of after-school stuff like little-league or whatever. They'll miss out on the day-to-day drama of who called who a fartface, but they'll still get to hang around with kids their own age. And if the schools in your area are as terrible as you say, a bunch of other people in your area will probably also be considering homeschooling and have the same concerns. Maybe you can try find some to set up some sort of social stuff for your kids to do.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#11 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

Under-age Fight Club. Socialization and aggression at all once!

#12 User is offline   bridgeburner42 

• Recruit

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

View PostObdigore, on 04 February 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

View Postbridgeburner42, on 04 February 2010 - 06:53 PM, said:

Look how cute it is. It dosen't even know that it is a freak.

No, seriously, I think public school is a good idea. If you don't like the the low standards, you can teach your children things too, you know?

Haha you are so funny. There are definitely a group of the "freaky" home schoolers, they even scare me. But they are the small majority. And honestly what is better? Going to public school and sitting in a class room all day and getting a pathetic education? (There is a reason that America on a whole scores ridiculously low on education) Or getting all my school done in like 4 hours and getting a real education? Then I can hang out with friends and stuff the rest of the day. And I know some kids who go to pubic school who are a whole lot more awkward socially than my home schooled friends.

#13 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

So you are telling me that there isn't a public school system in the US that has the possibility of teaching more than what you learned in 4 hours at home?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#14 User is offline   bridgeburner42 

• Recruit

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

I didn't say that. However as a majority home schooling will allow you to be a lot faster, since you don't have to wait for all the other kids. And do all that busy work crap. And I can learn at my own level, and not have to have a generalized education that has to be spread across a whole class room. I also can learn what I want to learn (to a degree, there are things that I can't change) and prepare myself for whatever career I want to head into. I can jump ahead a couple levels if I want to, or if I didn't quite get something the first time I can go back and do it again.

#15 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

View PostJusentantaka, on 04 February 2010 - 06:26 PM, said:

H-cake and I went to far different public schools than are around us. For starters the local elementary schools are somehow below the state average, which is pretty damned astounding considering maryland has BALTIMORE in it to weigh down that average. Some states/schools/cities are good, some are wartorn hellholes, and others are just bad for whatever normal reason, mismanagement, less money, more daycare than school, and more. the three local ones I could conceivably chose from have the first three down pretty well. Local High school is pretty good though, so if we're still here in ten years its likely we'll do as D' mentioned.

While expressing the necessity of bringing home terrific grades, my parents always prioritized actual learning over going through the motions as a kid. After we got the "teach Amph how to talk/handle being deaf" stage out of the way, I was doing algebra in third and fourth grade, expected to deliver a five minute speech on a topic of my own choosing twice a week after dinner, kick a soccer ball 20 yards with fairly good accuracy (2 foot square box), do handywork around the house and help out with hosting guests and parties. I'd say my parents erred a little on the side of keeping me home and sheltered a bit too much, but all in all, it was their work at home that mattered more to my education than what went on in class at school.

School was actually where my personal development occurred. It was where I began to establish an identity separate from my parents. I learned what I liked/what I didn't like, got in fights, encountered perspectives wildly different from my own, made tons of friends and generally figured out how to develop my abilities to observe, understand and act.

Travel did a lot for me too, but it was primarily international travel done alone as a teenager that changed me. For little kids, I think most public schools are fine. Most of the real educational stuff should be coming from the home as well. Plus the money you can go out and earn while the kids are in school helps a lot.

98% of the homeschooled kids were WEIRD - like near socially unfunctioning creatures. Maybe they developed a little more over the years, but jeez.

You wouldn't happen to know how the last 2% managed to be normal, would you? :(

I'd say the vast majority of those kids were smart enough to maintain their confidence and sociability in spite of their parents. A few had great parents and a great situation though.

View Postalt146, on 04 February 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

If socializing is the main problem then make sure your kids join tons of after-school stuff like little-league or whatever. They'll miss out on the day-to-day drama of who called who a fartface, but they'll still get to hang around with kids their own age. And if the schools in your area are as terrible as you say, a bunch of other people in your area will probably also be considering homeschooling and have the same concerns. Maybe you can try find some to set up some sort of social stuff for your kids to do.

Learning to deal with that day-to-day drama is actually a great skill to have. Think about how often it pops up again in later life. Some kids get sucked into it, but most of us learn how to ignore all but the important bits.

Little League baseball is often two or three times a week - if that. I know I had a bit of a strange time playing club soccer with 95% of the team not being from my school. They were all up to speed on their own stuff, while I was a bit of an outsider for a long time with the couple of other kids from my immediate are.

In my experience, little kids like social contact a bit more than that and perhaps not structured in the manner baseball is (think of the 5 year old center fielder getting bored about 20 minutes in). I'd suggest gymnastics, jiu-jitsu, handball or something funky like that for little ones. Never karate though. That "martial art" is retarded.

Haha you are so funny. There are definitely a group of the "freaky" home schoolers, they even scare me. But they are the small majority.

Home school = fail.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#16 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Well, seeing as how that poster is currently being home-schooled, it doesn't seem as though any sort of bias could exist there, could it? Btb, BB42, every second of public school is socialization.

I knew a few home-schooled kids. Some were normal, most were not. Even the "accepted" home-school kids were shyer than typical. But, they were all fairly nice, too.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#17 User is offline   bridgeburner42 

• Recruit

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

This here "poster" also went to public school for quite a few years. And I'm not sure as to how every second of public school is socialization? Considering that you only interact with people around your own age. While being home schooled I interact with people of all different ages (and no, that's not just my family). And yes mr. amphibian it is a small majority, out of all the home schooled kids I know (that's quite a few) only a couple are the extremely shy and awkward ones. And the most outgoing and supper friendly ones are home schooled.

#18 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

View Postbridgeburner42, on 04 February 2010 - 07:47 PM, said:

I didn't say that. However as a majority home schooling will allow you to be a lot faster, since you don't have to wait for all the other kids. And do all that busy work crap. And I can learn at my own level, and not have to have a generalized education that has to be spread across a whole class room. I also can learn what I want to learn (to a degree, there are things that I can't change) and prepare myself for whatever career I want to head into. I can jump ahead a couple levels if I want to, or if I didn't quite get something the first time I can go back and do it again.

You do realize that some places have entire schools and courses for 'gifted' children in which they learn at an accelerated rate and end up taking nothing but college courses in their last couple years of high school, right?

My experience with home schooled children who entered into the public school system after 5th grade (or so) was that they didn't make friends and aren't good at socializing for at least a couple years after they joined all us 'dum-dums' and our slow-thinking ways.

#19 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

This is my opinion on public school. From preschool to beginning of high-school, I lived in Oakland and my highschool teacher father couldn't really afford to send us to private school.

Oakland public schools are terrifyingly awful. Like, holy crap. BUT I think that the ability of a kid to get through public school with a good education is dependent entirely on the parents. If you let your kid run with the gang-kids, that's on you. If you let your kid slide academically, it's on you. But IMHO it's totally possible to get an education (this is friggin' high-school we're talking about, not university), and more, from a public school experience.

Seriously, how many homeschooled kids do you know who got laid, like, ever? That's where the socialization comes in. You don't just learn material in k-12. Seriously, school is easy until you're like 20 years old. Public school is the great observational learning laboratory, you learn about social dynamics, power, lifeskills. Sure, you can learn the testable material in homeschool, but 99% of the important things I learned in elementary- to high-school were not things that I learned in the classroom.

I think it's great that some kids turn out OK from homeschooling, but some kids turn out OK from public school too.

Plus, public school is less work for you. (4 hours a day? Who has that kind of time these days, with work, cooking, youtube, furry-porn, Malazan Empire?)
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#20 User is offline   bridgeburner42 

• Recruit

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

View PostObdigore, on 04 February 2010 - 08:02 PM, said:

View Postbridgeburner42, on 04 February 2010 - 07:47 PM, said:

You do realize that some places have entire schools and courses for 'gifted' children in which they learn at an accelerated rate and end up taking nothing but college courses in their last couple years of high school, right?

My experience with home schooled children who entered into the public school system after 5th grade (or so) was that they didn't make friends and aren't good at socializing for at least a couple years after they joined all us 'dum-dums' and our slow-thinking ways.

Yeah I knew that, however I was talking about the "general" public schools out there. Not the specialized ones.

And I would have to disagree with that, I know several people who were home schooled up until high school and then went to public schools for high school. And they are totally socially fine, in fact they are some of the "popular" kids. Sure some may take a couple years to get used to it, however one of my friends who just went to public school last year is one of the more out going people I know. He's go tones of friends at school.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users