Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soletaken and D'ivers

#1 User is offline   Witchking11 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

I am about a third of the way through the book and i dont really understand what soletaken and d'ivers are. I know that they are shapeshifters but thats about all i know. I was just wondering if they are a species or if it was something that could be learned or what. And is rake a soletaken? This may sound realy dumb but i was just wondering if someone could help me to understand?

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

They're not a species, they're just people who can shapeshift. I'm pretty sure they have to learn how to do it, but I don't really know how. And yes Rake is a Soletaken since he can turn into a dragon.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Soletaken are people or creatures who are able to take on an other aspect which most often takes the form of one or more animals.

Soletaken Eleint can turn into dragons

Soletaken D'ivers, unlike regular vanilla soletaken, can take on multiple forms. The most powerfull of which can have thousands of shapes.

They may be a species since you can be born a soletaken, but it is also something you can become through bloodtransfer and magic.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Aptorian, on Jan 21 2009, 02:34 PM, said:

Soletaken are people or creatures who are able to take on an other aspect which most often takes the form of one or more animals.
Soletaken D'ivers, unlike regular vanilla soletaken...

I never understood D'ivers to be a specialized form of Soletaken; I was always under the impression that they were two completely separate orders of shapeshifting. Just the name "Soletaken" implies a single (sole) alternate form; "D'ivers" implies multiple (diverse) forms.

Doesn't the Glossary say something like:

MBotF Glossary (paraphrased) said:

Soletaken - An order of shapeshifting
D'ivers - A higher order of shapeshifting
?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

It does say that but would you for example claim that a bunch of D'iver's monkeys were going to be a match for a soletaken eleint :p

I understand it as implying the D'ivers is a more complex, more powerfull, form of transformation but still the same.

#6 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

D'ivers are beings with one soul that can create multiple bodies. The more powerful it becomes, the more of its bodies it can create.
The soletaken can form one body, one soul.

The average soletaken and D'ivers are more or less equal, although with the range being so diverse, it is hard to tell.

The exception is the soletaken eleint, who due to the power of the eleint, are more powerful, even though they have but one body.

Rake is a soletaken eleint.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

I don't think a Soletaken can become a D'ivers, at least not just by becoming more powerful. Like Treach. He can become more and more powerful, but I don't think he can ever become two tigers.

#8 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Speaking of which, is there any name for
Spoiler
in MoI?

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 22 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

No, there isn't, and in fact (s)he is erroneously referred to as being Soletaken by some not-so-well-informed characters...

As for D'ivers vs Soletaken, as D'ivers get more powerful they do tend to make more of themselves, whereas while Soletaken get more powerful they tend to become just a stronger single entity. The eleint are an obvious example, but that's not to say a millenia-old Soletaken-swamp rat can't become powerful enough to challenge an eleint...

Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

No, there isn\'t, and in fact (s)he is erroneously referred to as being Soletaken by some not-so-well-informed characters...

As for D\'ivers vs Soletaken, as D\'ivers get more powerful they do tend to make more of themselves, whereas while Soletaken get more powerful they tend to become just a stronger single entity. The eleint are an obvious example, but that\'s not to say a millenia-old Soletaken-swamp rat can\'t become powerful enough to challenge an eleint...

Spoiler

Spoilers my man, that\'s not a thing I\'d like to know up front before reading the book away... takes away a bit of the awesomeness :p
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

Mcflury, on Jan 23 2009, 07:43 AM, said:

No, there isn\'t, and in fact (s)he is erroneously referred to as being Soletaken by some not-so-well-informed characters...

As for D\'ivers vs Soletaken, as D\'ivers get more powerful they do tend to make more of themselves, whereas while Soletaken get more powerful they tend to become just a stronger single entity. The eleint are an obvious example, but that\'s not to say a millenia-old Soletaken-swamp rat can\'t become powerful enough to challenge an eleint...

Spoiler

Spoilers my man, that\'s not a thing I\'d like to know up front before reading the book away... takes away a bit of the awesomeness :p

It's from DG. A Trell talks to the person that is spoilered early on in the novel and that Trell's companion later reveals how said personage is different from before. (that vague enough for ya?)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users